Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
New Tamron 150-600mm Lens ...N/A for Pentax?

Does anyone know if Tamron intends to make this lens in a Pentax mount? Are we Pentaxians that much of a minority that Tamron will make a Sony mount but nothing for Pentax? What would be a tipping point in volume for Tamron to make this lens in a Pentax mount? A hundred preorders???

Bummed.............

Carl

06-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CRMassart Quote
Does anyone know if Tamron intends to make this lens in a Pentax mount? Are we Pentaxians that much of a minority that Tamron will make a Sony mount but nothing for Pentax? What would be a tipping point in volume for Tamron to make this lens in a Pentax mount? A hundred preorders???

Bummed.............

Carl
At CP+ Tamron told us it wasn't coming out for Pentax. The sales simply wouldn't justify it...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it even available for Canikony in the US yet? I've heard the ones shipped in Japan had problems.

Besides, we'll probably see a Pentax HD branded version at Photokina for a $500 premium.

Sony gets it in A mount because they are part owners of Tamron.

Last edited by boriscleto; 06-28-2014 at 04:53 PM.
06-28-2014, 04:51 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
At CP+ Tamron told us it wasn't coming out for Pentax. The sales simply wouldn't justify it...
My local rep also stated Tamron's unlikely to supply K-mount version of the 150-600 or the latest 70-200/2.8 tho the older 70-200/2.8 may remain available for a while.

06-28-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CRMassart Quote

Bummed.............

Carl
I haven't seen a new-Tamron-lens support K-mount for a couple of years. I could've missed one here or there though.

When asked about it (a year or two ago), Tamron replied that they were concentrating on other mounts/mirrorless.
06-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I haven't seen a new-Tamron-lens support K-mount for a couple of years. I could've missed one here or there though.

When asked about it (a year or two ago), Tamron replied that they were concentrating on other mounts/mirrorless.
Except the 18-270 released as a Pentax at a premium.
06-28-2014, 06:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, it has been out since the end of the year for EOS and for Nikon since May. I owned the EOS version but, like many others, returned it due to continuous AF problems with several bodies. About three weeks ago after denying there is a problem, Tamron copped to a fix or fixes. At first it was believed that it was a firmware update, but at least one user on FM forums has hardware replaced, resulting in a new serial number.

I have a new copy on back order since May with no hope in sight. The lens, if working correctly, is a bargain, but Tamron's management of the situation is pathetic.

To the OP: I would have hoped that Ricoh would have struck some kind of deal with Tamron to bring this out in K-mount, as it seems ideal for the K-3. it also would have communicated some commitment of service to Pentax users, who lack a way to get to 600mm without TCs.

M

06-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Not much hope of seeing it in K mount.

EOS mount started shipping about 6 months ago or so. As Miguel mentioned, they had a problem with the AI focus mode (tracking) on some older Canon bodies and birds-in-flight shots were not happening. People who shot birds were not happy, for others not so much a problem. There is a firmware update for those who have the lens, and backorders are slowly being filled. Mine was ordered on Feb 16, shipped June 13. I have not tested it on birds. Been out once with it once...

Both monopod aided...
ISO 800, 1/125 sec, f/6.7, 600 mm.

ISO 400, 1/750 sec, f/8.0, 500 mm
06-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I don't know if having Pentax K mounts from Tamron, is that big of a deal. I've got quite a number of Pentax lenses as I prefer the original manufacturer equipment. Tamron and Sigma....for me...would only be considered if Pentax does not have a lens in a particular focal length that I would want.

You get similar focal lengths in K Mount in Sigma lenses. I'm happy with my one Sigma lens....a 150-500. Excellent pictures. If I decide to get anymore third party lenses, I would probably again go with Sigma.
06-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Tamron's new 24-70mm and 70-200mm are great. We'll see what Pentax offers....
06-29-2014, 08:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The unofficial word from the Tamron reps at the tour stop was that Tamron was done with Tamron-branded offerings for K mount. That's a huge, huge loss for Pentax users, as was the loss of Tokina. With Sigma only offering some of its lenses for Pentax (and discontinuing some, like the 8-16mm), there aren't many options left.

Last edited by tibbitts; 06-29-2014 at 08:41 AM.
06-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
The unofficial word from the Tamron reps at the tour stop was that Tamron was done with Tamron-branded offerings for K mount. That's a huge, huge loss for Pentax users, as was the loss of Tokina. With Sigma only offering some of its lenses for Pentax (and discontinuing some, like the 8-16mm), there aren't many options left.
Tokina seems to offer Pentax designs such as the 10-17 Fisheye and 12-24. Think that may of happened when Pentax....along with Tokina were part of Hoya.

This is just speculation....I've often wondered what the deal was in this regard. Anyone know any facts about this...not just speculation ?
06-29-2014, 11:23 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Tokina seems to offer Pentax designs such as the 10-17 Fisheye and 12-24. Think that may of happened when Pentax....along with Tokina were part of Hoya.

This is just speculation....I've often wondered what the deal was in this regard. Anyone know any facts about this...not just speculation ?
Tokina has the 10-17, 12-24, 16-50, 50-135, 100/2.8 macro & 35/2.8 macro. All have the same optical design, but have other differences. The 12-24 is SDM only, the 16-50 & 50-135 are screw drive only and no weather sealing, etc.

The partnership was formed in 2009 under Hoya and nothing else has come of it.

If Pentax is going to have a FF camera, it would seem the quickest way to get a FF lens lineup would be to rebadge some Tamron lenses as new DFA lenses.
06-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

For FF, Pentax needs a 24-70 and a 70-200 at introduction. The other 10 lenses they already have for FF will be more than adequate. A wide angle zoom and a wide angle prime should follow in the next year.
06-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

I don't know the history of that. Maybe Pentax is selling Tokina lenses vs. the other way around, but in any case Pentax has certainly done that with Tamron. But the price difference, given the Pentax markup with no value added, is pretty outrageous. Certainly Pentax 3rd party lens availability has declined dramatically over the years, to the point where many people might now discount purchasing a Pentax due to lack of lens availability... which in turn reduces demand for 3rd party k-mount lenses, and that makes it likely that such lenses will be available in the future. Realistically, most purchasers don't want manual aperture, manual focus, or m42 lenses that only work with adapters; they just want a wide selection of modern lenses at reasonable prices that they can use with no hassles.