Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The lenses were all designed by Pentax. The last lens designed before the Pentax partnership was the 28-70 of 2002. They also have a 11-16, 80-400, 16.5-135, and 28-80

06-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Tokina has the 10-17, 12-24, 16-50, 50-135, 100/2.8 macro & 35/2.8 macro. All have the same optical design, but have other differences. The 12-24 is SDM only, the 16-50 & 50-135 are screw drive only and no weather sealing, etc.

The partnership was formed in 2009 under Hoya and nothing else has come of it.

If Pentax is going to have a FF camera, it would seem the quickest way to get a FF lens lineup would be to rebadge some Tamron lenses as new DFA lenses.
Thanks for the confirmation. Seems Tokina got the best end of the deal with that 'partnership'.
07-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
At CP+ Tamron told us it wasn't coming out for Pentax. The sales simply wouldn't justify it...
OK, I understand that, however as mentioned that didn't stop them from making a Sony mount due to business interests. If we Pentax users could put together a group purchase and put 50% up front to show our commitment to Tamron, how many pre-orders do you think it would take to have Tamron make this lens for a K-mount? Do you think an $850 selling price would be acceptable? Lets generate a consumer driven groundswell of interest to make this a reality.

I am going to attend a Tamron tailgate event at the end a August in Ohio and I would like to present that idea to the folks at Tamron.

Thoughts? Ideas?? Lets here from you folks. Can the Admins post this where all forum users would notice this so it get everyone's attention?
07-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CRMassart Quote
Do you think an $850 selling price would be acceptable?
Why would $850 be acceptable when it retails for $1069 in the other mounts? And Tamron can't meet demand for those mounts, how long would it take them to meet any demand for a K-mount?

07-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #20
Pentaxian

OK, I understand that, however as mentioned that didn't stop them from making a Sony mount due to business interests. If we Pentax users could put together a group purchase and put 50% up front to show our commitment to Tamron, how many pre-orders do you think it would take to have Tamron make this lens for a K-mount? Do you think an $850 selling price would be acceptable? Lets generate a consumer driven groundswell of interest to make this a reality.

I am going to attend a Tamron tailgate event at the end a August in Ohio and I would like to present that idea to the folks at Tamron.

Thoughts? Ideas?? Lets here from you folks. Can the Admins post this where all forum users would notice this so it get everyone's attention?
I fear logistically it will never materialize. You would not get enough truly committed people to tie up $500 on a "maybe" thing, and somehow deposit it with Tamron. Many will be happy with the cheaper though shorter Sigma offerings.
07-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums

It's not up to us, it's up to Pentax/Ricoh. They need to get their cameras in the hands of more users relative to the competition, and that hasn't quite happened yet.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I've got a Sigma 150-500. It's great....just 100mm down from the Tamron. I wouldn't be interested and I don't think Tamron would be interested....in a group of private owners.

I'm not sure there are that many Pentaxians who would be interested, but what do I or anyone else really know.

What I would recommend is those who are interested, is to go to the Canon Digital Photography Forum and checking out the results that Canon mount owners have gotten from the Tamron and comparing it the results they get with the Sigma 150-500.

They do have quite a few samples from each lens. I've looked at them....and in the end I'm more than happy with the performance of my big Sigma.

Anyways good luck with your venture, hope it work out the way you wish.

07-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I liked the DA*300mm, cropped, more than the 150-500 myself.

Would the Tamron be better than the DA*? Dunno, but I think the Tamron is a bit of an improvement over the 150-500...
07-01-2014, 10:51 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I've got a Sigma 150-500. It's great....just 100mm down from the Tamron. I wouldn't be interested and I don't think Tamron would be interested....in a group of private owners.

I'm not sure there are that many Pentaxians who would be interested, but what do I or anyone else really know.

What I would recommend is those who are interested, is to go to the Canon Digital Photography Forum and checking out the results that Canon mount owners have gotten from the Tamron and comparing it the results they get with the Sigma 150-500.

They do have quite a few samples from each lens. I've looked at them....and in the end I'm more than happy with the performance of my big Sigma.

Anyways good luck with your venture, hope it work out the way you wish.
Generally, the Bigma (50-500mm) is the lens most frequently compared with the Tamron 150-600mm. Of far more interest to Canon shooters is a comparison to the 100-400mm, as both the Bigma & the Sigma 150-500mm are perceived to be of lesser quality, if not value. Having owned all except the Sigma 150-500mm, I'd rank the Bigma at the bottom of the heap. The Tamron is a great value assuming its issues with shooting action are fixed. I'll know in a week when my second copy, a fixed one, arrives.
The Tamron gets bonus points just by reaching 600mm for under $1100. The difference over 500mm I find significant. It is also weather resistant and has built in IS. Not bad, really.
I agree with you that the Pentax market is too small for unsubsidized sales without serious marketing. That's why it would have been a thoughtful kickstarter kind of effort for Ricoh to cut a deal with Tamron. It would have boosted K-3 sales too. Oh well, maybe we all will see that fabled tele zoom from Ricoh by year's end. By then I am assuming that Sigma will release a 600mm competitor to the Tamron, maybe even in K-mount.

M
07-01-2014, 11:06 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Why would $850 be acceptable when it retails for $1069 in the other mounts? And Tamron can't meet demand for those mounts, how long would it take them to meet any demand for a K-mount?
Oops my mistake. I thought it was comparably priced to the Sigma.

If they are backlogged for Nikon and Canon mounts then they won't even be interested is us, though if we emailed them to let us know of our interest maybe we will get one after all the initial hoop-la dies down. One thing for sure, if we do not let them know they won't even think of tooling up for a Pentax mount, so let them know. I know I will.
07-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Generally, the Bigma (50-500mm) is the lens most frequently compared with the Tamron 150-600mm. Of far more interest to Canon shooters is a comparison to the 100-400mm, as both the Bigma & the Sigma 150-500mm are perceived to be of lesser quality, if not value. Having owned all except the Sigma 150-500mm, I'd rank the Bigma at the bottom of the heap. The Tamron is a great value assuming its issues with shooting action are fixed. I'll know in a week when my second copy, a fixed one, arrives.
You know Miguel, I've never had much respect for third party lenses. This comes from my unfortunate experience with two aftermarket lenses back in the '70's.

As a result, I've always felt that a multi mount, after market lens was a compromise. But since getting my new Sigma 150-500 I've realized that this lens does not fall into that category and obviously things have changed.

Last year, I tried the Sigma 150-500 and I was really impressed. Sharp photos even at 500mm.

You say you haven't owned the Sigma 150-500. I would say, don't knock it till you've used one in all sorts of conditions to get a variety of pictures.

I mentioned before that the Canon Forum has many examples of photographs...both from the Tamron and the Sigma. I've gone over these with a fine tooth comb. I find that the quality of end product...the quality of the photograph....for either lens...is as varied as the different photographers using them.

I can't speak for the Tamron...although I've seen plenty of pictures from the Canon mount version. But I can speak for the Sigma 150-500. If a photographer really knows his stuff, has tons of experience and well developed skills....the Sigma will produce excellent photographs throughout it's focal range...consistently.
07-02-2014, 11:39 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You know Miguel, I've never had much respect for third party lenses. This comes from my unfortunate experience with two aftermarket lenses back in the '70's.
[deleted]

I can't speak for the Tamron...although I've seen plenty of pictures from the Canon mount version. But I can speak for the Sigma 150-500. If a photographer really knows his stuff, has tons of experience and well developed skills....the Sigma will produce excellent photographs throughout it's focal range...consistently.
Yep! third party lenses in the 70s & 80s were terrible, with the possible exception of Vivitar's better stuff. Most zooms by anyone in the 70s were mediocre as well.

Theses days it shouldn't be tough to provide a good lookin' web jpeg for most shots of static objects taken by a tele zoom. The quality differences become more apparent when trying to capture action accurately under less than ideal conditions. That's where third party products still fall a bit short compared with OEM lenses--for understandable reasons. The longer consumer-level Sigmas fail more often in this test. Even the really nice very pricey 120-300mm f2.8 Sport model cannot quite match Canon's lenses for predictive AF.

So the trade off for hitting 500mm on the Sigma vs. say the Canon 100-400mm is speed and accuracy. For static stuff at f8 the Sigma may be better.

M
07-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #28
Pentaxian

If a photographer really knows his stuff, has tons of experience and well developed skills....the Sigma will produce excellent photographs throughout it's focal range...consistently.
My 150-500 would not track worth a darn on the K5. Always got the tail end of airplanes, if that. Hence my conversion.

The Tamron 28-75 and 70-200 are highly rated and are often called near prime-like. That's why I did not hesitate with the 150-600.

The 150-600 has a focus limiter at 15m, which I did not see in the ads. Have not tried it.
07-02-2014, 12:12 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
So the trade off for hitting 500mm on the Sigma vs. say the Canon 100-400mm is speed and accuracy. For static stuff at f8 the Sigma may be better.

M
And about $800.

I've had good results from the 150-500 with Herons in flight and a Caspian Tern I could get close to. I even managed a few keepers of a Black Tern at a longer distance and against a busy background.

The one airplane I've pointed it at was no problem at all.
07-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Here's the link to the Canon forum where both the Tamron 150-600 and the Sigma 150-500 have links. It will take a small amount of searching, but interested individuals will be able to compare pictures taken with both lenses. Yes the lenses are canon mount....but...for a base of comparison...and with the realization....that there are photographers of varying abilities....like every forum....you can see for yourself...which each lens can do.

This way at least those interested...can see with their own eyes....and make their own decision...away from opinion.

There's not much difference that I can see. Again...this will show you the actual picture quality....other characteristics of either lens will not necessarily be demonstrated.

http://http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=107