Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2014, 07:39 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax DA* 60-250mm not focusing

Hello everyone. I shoot a Pentax K5II with the DA*60-250mm f4. I found over the weekend it isn't focusing at all (sometimes). I put the 60-250 onto my old K5 camera with the same results. I'm thinking maybe it is the auto focus motor. I have already cleaned the pins on lens and camer and still the same results. Now I bought this lens back in April used so I'm sure there is no warranty on it. I'm wondering if anyone has ever had this motor replaced and paid for it out of pocket. If so would you want to tell me about how much it cost. This is what I'm going to be doing but am just getting myself ready for the bill that I will be getting.

Thanks
Jim

06-29-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to hear about your problem. It does sound like the SDM is going, especially if it sometimes works and sometimes does not. CRIS is very reliable and will give you a quote after you send in the lens. I had a DA* 50-135 sdm fixed by them a few months ago and it cost $208. The DA*60-250 may use a different motor but the price should be close to what it cost me unless there is more wrong with the lens. When you say you bought it in April I assume you mean you bought it used. A new lens would still have the warranty. Again it is a shame this has to happen but you will have a wonderful lens once the sdm is fixed.
06-29-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the response Mike, yes I bought it used from Adorama. I'm not asking them to fix it or anything. I just want it fixed because I do love using it on Mini Motorcycle races I photograph. Where would I find CRIS phone number? I have heard people talk about them.

Thanks
Jim
06-29-2014, 08:05 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cris

Just go to www.criscam.com The online quote function does not seem to work. They reply promptly to emails or phone calls also work. My experience was good in part because I live in Phoenix and was able to deliver and pick up the lens so I saved shipping and time. Good luck. The DA*60-250 is worth every penny. I forgot to mention that I also had a DA*60-250 repaired by them under warranty a year or so ago. Same good, fast service. The only problem with the repair was that Pentax was very slow sending them the part. When I became concerned about the delay, CRIS gave me the Pentax phone number, I called and Pentax got them the part with in a couple of days.

06-29-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
The only problem with the repair was that Pentax was very slow sending them the part. When I became concerned about the delay, CRIS gave me the Pentax phone number, I called and Pentax got them the part with in a couple of days.
Wow, that's... shocking and disappointing, considering that CRIS is Pentax when it comes to warranty service, at least in the US.
06-29-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Wow, that's... shocking and disappointing, considering that CRIS is Pentax when it comes to warranty service, at least in the US.
Well, they are under contract to Pentax. They are also the service center for Sigma and a few others. They said a call from me would spring the part from Pentax/Colorado sooner. The woman I talked to at Pentax was very helpful and assured me that the part would go out right away. Her explanation was that Pentax sends them big shipments which take time to go through. In any case, I was satisfied that CRIS was not the bottleneck.
06-29-2014, 01:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Well, they are under contract to Pentax. They are also the service center for Sigma and a few others. They said a call from me would spring the part from Pentax/Colorado sooner. The woman I talked to at Pentax was very helpful and assured me that the part would go out right away. Her explanation was that Pentax sends them big shipments which take time to go through. In any case, I was satisfied that CRIS was not the bottleneck.
But it's different because as far as I know CRIS is the only Pentax authorized service facility in the US, which means the only authorized warranty provider. Yet they don't have the clout to get a part they need from Pentax. That's disturbing.
06-29-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
But it's different because as far as I know CRIS is the only Pentax authorized service facility in the US, which means the only authorized warranty provider. Yet they don't have the clout to get a part they need from Pentax. That's disturbing.
Well, yes, I agree. CRIS seems to be just as annoyed about it since they have to take the heat from customers. However, I have heard that things are only a little better with the other camera companies. Listen to Sony complaints for example.

06-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well looks like I will be sending it back to Adorama. It seems like they have a 90 day warranty on used equipment. They will look at it and see if it can be fixed. If they can't fix it they will send me out another one or give me a in store credit.

Thanks
Jim