Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2008, 07:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K20D with DA* 16-50

I need help! I have a K10 and I am on my second copy of the DA*16-50. Saturday I set up my tripod with K10 and 16-50 to take photo of large group of people (graduates) . Focused on the front row, af light came on, beep sounded. All OK? Took shots and get home and they are all soft! Sick feeling. All shots taken later with DA* 50-135 are sharp as a tack! I think I read somewhere posted that some have found that they had focus problems with this lens on K10 that were corrected on the K20. If so, do I need to send K10 in for service or buy new K20, or just send this lens back and try again? This is basicly the same problem with my first 16-50 but the camera would not take the picture--it just would not fire the shot. BTW my old 16-45 works just fine. Beginning to wish I had just bought the DA 21 and the FA 35 instead.

05-05-2008, 08:54 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Try manual focusing your copy of the 16-50 on a few things and note its sharpness. Try again while auto-focusing on the same targets. You can learn if your copy is actually capable of sharp pictures or not this way. If it is, then you can trim the auto-focus adjustment for this lens in the body in your 'C' settings for those times when AF is necessary.
05-05-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestion. I may be just a little paranoid about the lens. I talked to anothe friend of mine today that uses nikon cameras and he said he also had problems with af on large groups in black robes. It seems to confuse the autofocus some times. I tried mf and af today inside and out side and got all nice sharp images. Have a group of soccer player to photograph tomorow so I'll see how it does there (will take my 16-45 also just in case) Thanks again, I appreciate the reply.
05-06-2008, 02:23 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
...you can trim the auto-focus adjustment for this lens in the body in your 'C' settings for those times when AF is necessary.
I'm a bit confused. What setting are you talking about? Is this the "debug mode" thing in the hacked version of Firmware 1.1?

Thanks...

05-06-2008, 02:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

What did you have the autofocus set to? If you put it on spot mode and tryed to focus on the upper body of someone in the middle it should have been ok?

But it could just be the lens who knows...
05-06-2008, 08:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I always use center af when shooting people. also af-s only use afc when shooting action with center af spot. Still don't know exactly why it did what it did because I was far enough back from the group that the lens should have focused at infinity where every thing is in focus). Like I said in above post, I tryed to duplicate it at home and always got sharp images. Frustrating to say the least. Never had problems with auto focus until digital (or flash problems either)
05-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

thePiRaTE!! you wrote you can trim the auto-focus adjustment for this lens in the body in your 'C' settings for those times when AF is necessary.
05-07-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Its #35 in the K20, I don't have my K10 body here at the moment to compare - perhaps its not there and i'm spoiled by the 20?