Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
In the US I believe a fair price for a mint FA 31 is <$900.

The problem with the FA 31 is that it represents a normal focal length on APS-C. In other words, it renders a rather boring perspective. If someone really wants the Limited look and feel the 20-40 is a nice alternative. Sure, it's not quite an FA 31 but having the convenience to zoom a little in either direction makes it more usable. That's the direction I recently went.
I bought a new 31 a few months ago and would have to say it's anything but boring (lens or perspective). It spent June on my camera for the monthly challenge and taking great shots (for me) was rather common!

07-01-2014, 08:12 AM   #17
Veteran Member

If I had the 31 it would be glued to my film cam. It's on my wish list.

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I bought a new 31 a few months ago and would have to say it's anything but boring (lens or perspective). It spent June on my camera for the monthly challenge and taking great shots (for me) was rather common!
07-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep. Prices are somewhat higher in Britain, however. List price new on the FA 31 is £1349 with street price being around £1000. Multiply (roughly) by two to get the price in USD and you will understand reason behind the OP's distress.

Steve
07-01-2014, 10:12 AM   #19
Veteran Member

The problem with the FA 31 is that it represents a normal focal length on APS-C. In other words, it renders a rather boring perspective. If someone really wants the Limited look and feel the 20-40 is a nice alternative. Sure, it's not quite an FA 31 but having the convenience to zoom a little in either direction makes it more usable. That's the direction I recently went.
I really don't think this is an accurate assessment of the 31. Boring is completely subjective. The 31 is quite probably the most desired lens in the Pentax line-up. This wouldn't be the case if the FL was inherently boring. You can certainly say that you prefer that FL on film or FF, but as someone who has only ever used it on aps-c, I find it to be quite desirable in that format as well.

Then there is all that makes the 31 so uniquely wonderful. That's been discussed here ad-nauseam, so I won't go into it again, but most of us know what a jewel it is.

I too had a 20-40, and while I would agree that it's a very fine lens (and probably the only Pentax lens that's sexier to look at than the 31), it just never earned a place in my bag like the 31 has. Frustratingly short range for a zoom, not as speedy, bokeh is quite decent, but not as special as any of the FA Ltds., and rendering is more like the DA Ltds, which appeals to many, but I greatly prefer the FA's. The variable speed thing really annoyed me more than I thought it would, too. The only really good use I found for it during the time that I had it was Christmas in my mother-in-law's rather small house. I still had to use a flash, which I prefer not to do, but the range and IQ were quite sufficient for holiday pics in that rather limited environment. Since weather-resistance also means very little to me, I sold it. If I'm going to use a zoom, I'd rather have something with some actual range to it like my Sigma 24-70, which also happens to be a constant f/2.8.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but my original point (yes, I had one) was that this gentleman is not having trouble selling his 31 because of a perceived short-coming of the lens. It's strictly a price/shipping area thing.

07-01-2014, 10:12 AM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by dave_k Quote
Why is no one interested in my FA31?
Cos there's only you and me and about three others using Pentax in the UK.
07-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
He's asking 550 GBP.

I guess part of the problem is that you are in UK and you are listing it in GBP. US buyers won't benefit from purchasing from you, and EU users would probably want to see the euro price.
I'm fine with seeing prices in the really weak GBP when importing to Sweden.
07-01-2014, 12:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

My point is that the popularity of the 31 may be waning due to 1) price, 2) competition, 3) performance for the price. This is completely my opinion so take it as such.

I think north of a grand (new) is a ton of money to spend on what is essentially a "normal" lens for APS-C. I also think the Sigma offerings and 20-40 make interesting (albeit indirect alternatives).

I like the Limiteds as much as anybody. When the price is right they will sell.

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I really don't think this is an accurate assessment of the 31. Boring is completely subjective. The 31 is quite probably the most desired lens in the Pentax line-up. This wouldn't be the case if the FL was inherently boring. You can certainly say that you prefer that FL on film or FF, but as someone who has only ever used it on aps-c, I find it to be quite desirable in that format as well.

Then there is all that makes the 31 so uniquely wonderful. That's been discussed here ad-nauseam, so I won't go into it again, but most of us know what a jewel it is.

I too had a 20-40, and while I would agree that it's a very fine lens (and probably the only Pentax lens that's sexier to look at than the 31), it just never earned a place in my bag like the 31 has. Frustratingly short range for a zoom, not as speedy, bokeh is quite decent, but not as special as any of the FA Ltds., and rendering is more like the DA Ltds, which appeals to many, but I greatly prefer the FA's. The variable speed thing really annoyed me more than I thought it would, too. The only really good use I found for it during the time that I had it was Christmas in my mother-in-law's rather small house. I still had to use a flash, which I prefer not to do, but the range and IQ were quite sufficient for holiday pics in that rather limited environment. Since weather-resistance also means very little to me, I sold it. If I'm going to use a zoom, I'd rather have something with some actual range to it like my Sigma 24-70, which also happens to be a constant f/2.8.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but my original point (yes, I had one) was that this gentleman is not having trouble selling his 31 because of a perceived short-coming of the lens. It's strictly a price/shipping area thing.

07-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Any suggestions why this may be the case?
Have you tried listing on the UK Pentax site?

Pentax Classified Ads
07-03-2014, 02:08 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Have you tried listing on the UK Pentax site?

Pentax Classified Ads
Not yet, thanks for the tip!

---------- Post added 07-03-14 at 10:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Cos there's only you and me and about three others using Pentax in the UK.
Yes I don't know when I last saw a Pentax other than my own!

---------- Post added 07-03-14 at 10:13 AM ----------

Interesting food for thought re the popularity of the 31mm.

Perhaps I'll give it a second chance to see if I can't enjoy using it for what it is. I might even pick up a film body to see it in action as originally intended.

Many thanks for all input to this thread.
07-03-2014, 06:31 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Not yet, thanks for the tip!

---------- Post added 07-03-14 at 10:11 AM ----------

Yes I don't know when I last saw a Pentax other than my own!

---------- Post added 07-03-14 at 10:13 AM ----------

Interesting food for thought re the popularity of the 31mm.

Perhaps I'll give it a second chance to see if I can't enjoy using it for what it is. I might even pick up a film body to see it in action as originally intended.

Many thanks for all input to this thread.

Best thing I did for my photography was to revisit film. FA's have to be experienced this way!
07-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Price, shipping area, no feedbacks, not too many posts as yet. That's what's killing your sale. It's hard enough to sell stuff on here when you do have a low priced item, will ship to everyone and have a few feedbacks. Without the feedback in particular it can be next to impossible. Low price, will ship internationally, good feedback, pay pal are pretty much a must. Without all that it's nigh on impossible to attract a buyer here. There have been a few scammers and people are very leery of buying unless you've been around for a while. Even when you have if you don't have all that? They still won't buy. I gave up on using the Market to sell anything. Most people selling will gladly take my $$$ any which way I offer it but otherwise it's been pretty pointless.

FYI, I've been around for several years and have bought things from people in the market a few times. I have thousands of posts and yet I have yet to see any feedbacks from the sellers I bought from even though I paid promptly. Buying didn't help me much in terms of feedback and sans a good amount of feedback I couldn't sell diddly. No one wants to use anything but Pay Pal either which hurt me because it was a problem for me with my credit union. I finally got Amazon but it didn't make any difference really. Probably I should have offered sales overseas too but I've been leery of that because you can't track anything once it leave the USA. Selling anything online lately it's getting tough sans the almightly Pay Pal. It's just not worth it to me anymore. I sell locally, if I can, and that's about it.

Last edited by magkelly; 07-03-2014 at 06:55 PM.
07-03-2014, 09:10 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Price, shipping area, no feedbacks, not too many posts as yet. That's what's killing your sale. It's hard enough to sell stuff on here when you do have a low priced item, will ship to everyone and have a few feedbacks. PayPal...

You are mostly right, but I've been lucky that all my sales/purchases were check or money order (up to $700) to/from established members. I have a never-used PayPal account if anyone want to buy the things I still have listed....:-)
07-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #28
Veteran Member

So I must be the 3rd Pentax user in the uk then :-)

I did see this lens and would have snapped it up if I had the spare cash. It's on my to buy list but just don't have the funds right now. I'm sure it will sell for this price.
07-04-2014, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #29
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by mde1970 Quote
So I must be the 3rd Pentax user in the UK then
It's good to know that... there are are a few more.

But not many more.
07-05-2014, 08:17 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think all listings need a good shot of the front element of the lens. The shot should make the viewer say "ooh, that is a lens I really want!" You have to compete with all the other stuff a buyer could get for his money. Once they start lusting after your particular lens, that hurdle is past.