Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2014, 05:42 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kouwen Quote
Thanks a lot for the reply's and all the advice. I will look for another body and lens. I can rent some but I think that that might be a waste of money. I have some friends with dslr's but those are all the consumer rebel line. But still should work? Or should I rent something better? Can't rent Pentax here in Canada.... I used to shoot Canon so I kinda know how to handle those beasts.
I have to do some lens shopping here and see if I can get some good deals.

Which lens would be better to get for the portraits? the 50-135 DA or a Tammy 70-200 2.8?

I'm hopping it goes well....fingers crossed. I mostly do wildlife and that isn't the same I am guessing (:
I'd personally go for the 50-135, unless the price difference is enormous enough.

If you have never shot a wedding at all, I find shooting at events (for pay or pro bono) is a good chance for practice.

07-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #17

Original Poster
I can get a new Tammy with 6 years warranty for $650. And maybe a used 50-135 for $850.
07-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I can get a new Tammy with 6 years warranty for $650. And maybe a used 50-135 for $850.
If you're going to keep it, it's up to you. Both lenses are good. At those prices personally I'd go with Pentax. the 50mm end is significant.

If I'm you I'd also keep trying get my hands on the sigma 50-150 (to avoid playing SDM breakdown roulette, although these days we do have the screwdrive hack). They're quite rare though.
07-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #19
Forum Member

Hello friends, just registered to this forum. Already read a lot of good stuff on here.
I used to be a Canon guy but recently switched over to Pentax. I now own a K-5 and I have just one prime at the moment, a DA 35mm f/2.4.

My brother asked me to shoot his wedding in a couple months....thankfully they are not at all picky and as long as I do my best they seem to be happy. I really let them know that they can't expect prof images as this will be my first official wedding to shoot at.
My problem is this, I want to get a lens with some reach. I have been reading up on the DA 50-135, sigma 50-150, the Tammy's etc. I just don't know what to get. I read that the Tammy 28-75 f/2.8 is really good but to me it seems way to short. I like to zoom a bit, I don't want to stand in front of everyones nose etc

I used to have the 70-300 but I realize that that would be a bit much, the lens was to slow anyway like; f/5.6 or so.

The wedding will be indoors so I do realize that I need a flash as well. Which one?? I read that the Pentax TTL sucks?? really?

So asking a lot of advice here... hope someone has the time to write down some wisdom. I'd really appreciate it!

Harry
The sooner you learn manual settings and manual flash power control the happier you will be. You don't have to worry about reflective surfaces, high contrast scenes. You will get consistent predictable exposure. It is not as hard as it seems at first, kind of like learning stick shift vs automatic. k-5 is an awesome camera. You are right P-TTL implementation leaves a lot to be desired. I wish the camera will allow me to use 540FGZ in manual mode when the camera is in any mode. No, it is possible only when the camera is in manual mode too. Whereas Metz AF52, and Yongnuo 560 iii will. Yongnuo is fully manual not TTL, which suites my purpose. Earlier version is incompatible with k-5, though it is fine with my k200d and k20d. Once you understand the relationships between aperture size, iso, and lack of shutter speed influence on flash exposure (until you cross over xsync) with the help of guide number it is easy to guess how much flash power you need. Cheers.

07-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm going to be a rebel and suggest that you consider using the high ISO capabilities of the K5 coupled with a couple of inexpensive lenses like the 35mm you own (or an M 50mm 1.7) and a 135 f2.5 (SMC version if you can find it) or a 100 macro. If you want a zoom the trusty "stack of primes" A35-105 is a dandy lens.

Of course you should check out the venue(s) first and see what the light levels are at the time of day you will be there. If sufficient for ISO 3200 shooting then you are off to the races. No distracting and annoying flash! And hopefully some really beautiful and subtle light. And check to see if you can use a tripod. Take A LOT of shots!

Good luck with the wedding and the expectations!
07-14-2014, 04:19 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need a lens or a set of lenses that will cover the entire range from 35mm to about 200mm. The reason you are going to need a long focal lens is that during the ceremony, photographers are usually relegated to the side lines. Most of the times they are not going to let you get close to the bride and groom or wedding party until after the ceremony, so you might be standing 50-100+ feet away from all the action. The light inside most churches is pretty dim, so you are probably going to need a fast lens also. Preferably in the F2.8 range, but you might get by with an F4.

Keep in mind that inside a church you can "easily" be shooting at an ISO of 1600 or greater, that's why you need a fast lens to keep the ISO down and for tack sharp images. Either that, or get yourself a tripod or Monopod. Once the ceremony is over, then you can use a standard zoom(and flash) somewhere in the range of 24-70mm, but again the faster the lens the better. I think your best bet would be the 16-50mm and the 50-135mm, or better yet the 60-250mm. These are the perfect wedding lenses because they are fast and cover then entire range of a wedding.

Last edited by hjoseph7; 07-14-2014 at 02:17 PM.
07-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #22

Original Poster
Thanks again people for all the replies. I really appreciate it.
I got in contact with a guy here in Ontario who is switching over to Nikon because he is getting into the filming business. He had bags full of Pentax stuff so I spend quite the time there looking at it all. I left his place with a Sigma APO 70-200 f2.8 and a af-540 Pentax flash, a whale-tail diffuser box and a camera flash bracket. All for the same price for one used Pentax 50-135. So I was pretty happy with that. I am just going have to practice a lot now.
If the groom and the bride are going to be as good as the wildlife I used to shoot in Africa then it should go well (:

So I will be shooting with the 35 prime f2.4 and the 70-200 f2.8. In between 35 and 70mm I am just going to have to walk. Can`t have everything in life....

07-14-2014, 11:56 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just got back from helping shoot my cousin's second wedding... I think those lenses will be about perfect. We had a small ceremony, so the 18-135 had almost the perfect amount of reach for the outdoor ceremony but indoors I could have really really used the extra two stops of light the 70-200 f2.8 provides. The extra zoom range would have been nice for detail shots during the ceremony as well.

Going through my photos, I was mostly shooting at 30-35mm, 45mm-ish, 70mm, and 100-135mm. Hmm... maybe Pentax's limited lineup makes sense after all?

I'm thinking I'll get the Sigma 30mm f1.4 or splurge on the FA31mm, an FA43mm f1.9, and either the DA70 or FA 77 (how $important$ is that extra stop of light?) for portaits and a DA* 50-250 for the better flexibility or a 70-200 f2.8 for the speed if I keep up with this.