Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2014, 05:20 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
With such a fine lineup, if you don't feel that 31 is a truly MISSING focal length in your lineup, get the camera.

07-02-2014, 06:10 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I would get the FA 31 and wait on the camera body, unless there is something specific that you aren't able to do with the K5. The K3 is a more agile camera with faster operation, a little more resolution, better white balance, but overall, I don't find a whole lot of difference between K5 files and k3 files with regard to look/detail/ability to process them. On the other hand, if you need better tracking, that would be the biggest area where I see improvement with the K3 in normal shooting. It does keep up with my kids a lot better than the original K5 did.

The FA 31 limited is a special lens and I wouldn't trade mine. Good glass just keeps on giving...
07-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Hi.....haven't commented on this as Id only just got my 43........ and obviously you need both anyway!

However.....I now reckn K3 and then 31 is the right order...... for what it's worth.

I could easily walk around with either the 43 or 31 on the camera and not be to upset that I'd wished Id had the other on, whilst I reckon I'd always appreciate having the K3 over K5..... no matter what lens.
07-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Hi.....haven't commented on this as Id only just got my 43........ and obviously you need both anyway!

However.....I now reckn K3 and then 31 is the right order...... for what it's worth.

I could easily walk around with either the 43 or 31 on the camera and not be to upset that I'd wished Id had the other on, whilst I reckon I'd always appreciate having the K3 over K5..... no matter what lens.
I was hoping you'd chime in since you own all three. So far I've got 10 votes for the k3 and 5 votes for the FA 31. So that's a 2 to 1 margin for the K3. I do hope to own the FA 31 soon as well. I'm finding I really like great IQ, so the DA*16-50 I have may go towards the purchase of the FA 31. That would give me the following lenses in primes:

DA 21
FA 31
FA 43
F*300

My DA*50-135 would then serve as a nice portrait lens for everything else. Lens LBA....Done!

07-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I was hoping you'd chime in since you own all three. So far I've got 10 votes for the k3 and 5 votes for the FA 31. So that's a 2 to 1 margin for the K3. I do hope to own the FA 31 soon as well. I'm finding I really like great IQ, so the DA*16-50 I have may go towards the purchase of the FA 31. That would give me the following lenses in primes:

DA 21
FA 31
FA 43
F*300

My DA*50-135 would then serve as a nice portrait lens for everything else. Lens LBA....Done!
What no SIgma 70 macro, Tamron 90 macro, or DFA 100 Macro WR? Come on, you gotta have one of those. Everybody does. And what about the DA 15? How long you been on this forum now? And we still gotta help you with LBA?

ANd if you have the 43 and 31, the 77 is pretty much mandatory.
07-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What no SIgma 70 macro, Tamron 90 macro, or DFA 100 Macro WR? Come on, you gotta have one of those. Everybody does. And what about the DA 15? How long you been on this forum now? And we still gotta help you with LBA?

ANd if you have the 43 and 31, the 77 is pretty much mandatory.
My wallet hurts
07-05-2014, 10:37 PM   #22

Photos: Albums
I'd say get them both. I was in a very similar situation and made a post about choosing the K-3 & Sigma 30mm or the K-5iis & FA31 but ended up getting the K-3 & FA31 and couldn't be happier.

That would give me the following lenses in primes: DA 21 FA 31 FA 43 F*300 My DA*50-135 would then serve as a nice portrait lens for everything else. Lens LBA....Done!
Nah!! You'll eventually want the FA77 if the forum doesn't sell you on the FA*85 first. I couldn't understand why a lot of people favor the FA77 out of the three FA Ltds until I procured one for myself. And glad I did! My last LBA binge was supposed to hold me until I realized shortly after that I'm missing two lenses: the DA21 & I can't decide what telephoto yet.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What no SIgma 70 macro, Tamron 90 macro, or DFA 100 Macro WR? Come on, you gotta have one of those. Everybody does.
This is so real. I actually have two but, I only list my Pentax gear. The other is the Vivitar 100 F3.5 Macro 1:2 (Plastic Fantastic) I do have the adapter which makes it 1:1.

07-05-2014, 11:04 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Oh, the decisions!

Feeding your LBA or CBA.
07-06-2014, 04:21 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Is there anything that bugs you about your K-5?

If you haven't got AF issues -- the K-5 can struggle to maintain accuracy in low light -- then I'd get the FA 31/1.8 if I were you.

The FA 31/1.8 is a truly outstanding lens. Its rendering lends a very nice touch to every image you make with it. I have all three amigos and while they are all great, the FA 31/1.8 has been the least temperamental and the most rewarding to me so far.

The K-3, on the other hand, will "only" give you more resolution and more performance. But if you don't need either then I'd go for the lens rather than the camera. After all, lenses create the images; cameras merely record them and in terms of quality the K-5's sensor is still very good (it even does ISO 80, which the K-3 does not, and may even have the tiniest high-ISO advantage on the K-3's sensor).

P.S.: I wouldn't make this decision based on a majority vote. Only you know what is important to you. Others can give you ideas what to pay attention to and provide experience but you are the only one who can make sense out of all input for your needs/wants.
07-06-2014, 05:00 AM   #25
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I normally always say go with the glass to these type of questions, but in this case your lens line up looks OK, so IMHO get the K-3 on the way to you immediately.
07-06-2014, 05:19 AM   #26
Veteran Member

DA 21
FA 31
FA 43
F*300

To be truthful, I probally need more time to come to terms with using the 43 ...... I used the 31 for the June monthly challange and it fits well with what I do.

I've only started to use the 43 for this month....so am still coming to terms as to how I'll use it as part of my kit. I'm thinking that at this point the 31 would spend more time on my camera everyday (because of FOV and smoother transition to OOF and possily image rendering).

Anway.... the K3 is getting close to a no brainer as it approaches $1k.......could be worth hanging out to see what happens around September as far as Pentax release of new product goes.....
07-06-2014, 05:45 AM   #27
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm with Class A (especially the P.S.). Unless there is something "wrong" with the K-5 that the K-3 can fix I'd go for the lens first.
07-06-2014, 06:06 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Driline. I know you're reading this.
Buy the K-3.
Then sell something. Buy the FA31, then the FA77. You know it has to happen.
07-06-2014, 06:14 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I'm with Class A (especially the P.S.). Unless there is something "wrong" with the K-5 that the K-3 can fix I'd go for the lens first.
If you're guy like me, chasing hummingbirds and other small birds, the improved AF is to die for. The K-3 has slightly less dynamic range, the ability to expose for highlights and rescuing serviceable detail from the shadows, is not a trait of the K-3 sensor. Even though the range is theoretically about the same, it seems to me the shadow end of the K-5s dynamic range is better than the K-3s.

The added resolution of the K-3 is enough to give you more resolution from an 18-135 than you'd get with any lens you can name on a K-5.

That being said... there's nothing wrong with the IQ of a K-5 and the noise is about the same... so functionally they have about the same low light capability. (but at 100 ISO, the K-3 is noticeably better).

It's a all conundrum... for me, it's all about the 27 focus points, and more ability to crop, while maintaining resolution. I use selective focus on almost every flower shot and macro. I can crop 20% of my K-3 image and still have enough resolution to print an image like a K-5 image, printed full size.

But honestly, I see no need to have another K-3 as a back up. If something happens to the K-3, I'll do fine with the K-5.
07-06-2014, 06:59 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Lens LBA....Done!
True LBA is never done.
Glenn