Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-02-2014, 06:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
can't decide on M42 lens

So I've been looking at M42 lenses for the past few weeks. I've convinced myself that I need a new lens and am looking for a cheap old prime (ok I clearly don't need one but lets ignore that little fact and press on).

Current contenders are; Zeiss Jenna 135mm/3.5, Super Takumar 105mm 2.8 or Jupiter-9 85mm F2. All can be had for around the £65 - £100 price range and this is the budget that I'm working towards. Looking on the Lens database I see very mixed results for these lenses and am struggling to decide which is right for me. One thing I will add is that I'll be using this only occationally on my K5 but more likely to use on my Nex-7 when I'm out with the family so don't want a lens which is too big or heavy.

I would consider other lenses around the same Focal length and price so welcome suggestions :-)

07-02-2014, 06:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Personally I generally buy my M42s from Craigslist. I find I get better deals but the selection is limited. There are also quite a few for sale in the classifieds here.

Keep in mind these lenses are old and may have been abused so the review should be taken with a grain of salt.

Also I don't care for using manual focus lenses on my K5 due to lack of focus peaking. I use them mostly on my K-01. The old lenses can be pretty wonderful little gems. Have fun exploring.
07-02-2014, 08:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a selection of m42 lenses, ebay is a good source either the lens by itself or as a kit with camera and other lenses. Expect to pay between £1 and £60 for an m42 lens, Takumars command higher prices so £30 - £50 is normal

Photo shops are a good source, I picked up 2 lenses from a major shop, with warranty for £10 each, one was zeiss Tessar.

From a local shop my latest lens was given me for nothing, just to get rid of it.

With the ridiculous prices of new lenses we get used to paying a fortune, don't expect to pay a lot for m42 gear.

I bought 12 m42 lenses of varying quality for less than £200 for the whole lot, one cost me 99p postage free.

If your looking for high quality expect to pay premium price, But there are many superb lenses you can buy for next to nothing.

Heres a couple of examples

Takumar 135mm f3.5 £35 with case. - superb lens

Isco Gottingen 150mm f4.5 £18 with case. - superb lens

Zeiss Tessar 50m f2.8 £10 (with warranty) - superb lens

Helios 58mm f2 £10 (with warranty) - superb lens

Its fairly usual to pick up a bundle including a working camera.

That £200 didn't just get me 12 lenses, it got me 3 working cameras as well, plus a Teleconverter, and a wide angle adapter, and a set of extension tubes.

The extension tubes came with a 135mm lens and thelens plus tubes cost me less than £8 and no postage cost.

Don't pay a fortune the good deals will come, be patient.
07-02-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Any of the three lenses you are considering might work well for you. Notice all the waffle words in that sentence. Condition is important and much of the variability of the reviews is due to condition. Another consideration is intended use. I own the Jupiter-9. It is capable of delivering some fine images and while I have used it for everything from flowers to sports, it is better for some subjects over others.

I would suggest not agonizing over the purchase. Let price and condition be your guide. Don't pay too much and you will have little regret.

Steve

07-02-2014, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mde1970,
KEH is always a good choice to buy lenses from. They underrate the condition and stand behind all of the non-UGLY rated items.

As for the lenses you mention:
I have the SMC 105/2.8 it is an outstanding lens in sharpness and in reduced flare. It was one of my favorite film lenses. I always used it with a tripod. It is also excellent with digital, however the FL is not right for me.

I have the Jupiter 9 in L39. Its resolution and image "feel" are outstanding. There is a problem with mine concerning flare. The narrower the lens opening, the greater the veiling flare and subsequent lessening of contrast. Light bounces off the film to the backside of the blades where it is reflected to the film as flare. Disassembling the lens and coloring the ap blades with a Sharpie will remedy the situation for a couple of rolls of film. I do not have an M9 to test the lens with a digital camera. Not all Jupiter 9 lenses have this issue, others have noticed and posted about it. I did not find it until I did careful testing looking for flare and vignetting. Mine is a 1959 (SN 59XXXX) Multi-coated (red "N") model. As a result I only used mine at F4 or wider and not at all after getting the Canon 2.0.

I do not have the zeiss lens you mentioned.

As for other lenses, it is hard to go wrong with Taks. They are well built, are sharp, have little flare, and are compact. I have, used, and been impressed with the 135/3.5, 135/2.5, and the 150/4. I prefer the 105 to those. Two other Taks worth consideration are the 85/1.8 and the 100/4 macro. If budget is your consideration skip the 85/1.8. If you can live with f4 as the maximum opening, go for the macro. It can be found for less than $200. It is my favorite prime macro out of the eight I now have and others I have sold.

Lance

Last edited by lmd91343; 07-02-2014 at 11:50 AM.
07-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
Mine is a 1959 (SN 59XXXX) Multi-coated (red "N") model.
Despite the appearance, that is not an "N". Rather, it is the Cyrillic "П" (pe) which is roughly equivalent to the Greek "Π" (pi) and is usually transliterated as the Latin "P". The "П" indicates premium coatings and the lenses are usually referred to as "Red P" lenses here in the West. True to the technology of the time and despite being very pretty, the coating is single, not MC.*

Steve

(...has a "Red P" Jupiter-9 in Contax/Kiev mount (1962) as well as as a 2007 MC Jupiter-9 in M42...)

* All post-WWII Soviet lenses are coated (courtesy of the Germans) and some of the coatings are very beautiful, though fragile. It was not until fairly recent times (last 15 years or so) that multi-coating made its way into the Russian and Soviet products.

---------- Post added 07-02-14 at 06:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
As for other lenses, it is hard to go wrong with Taks. They are well built, are sharp, have little flare, and are compact.
Definitely and probably the best option of the three lenses listed.

Steve
07-03-2014, 02:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you're concerned about bokeh, here's a comparative test which includes the CZJ 135/3.5 and Jupiter 9:

Kiev Cameras

I have a copy of the CZJ, and can definitely recommend it in terms of its sharpness, contrast and colours - IQ really is first rate. As can be seen from the above test, bokeh is better than average too. Build quality, though quite reasonable, isn't quite up to Japanese (particularly Takumar) standards though.

As Steve says, condition and price are the main determinants though. Don't pay too much, don't leap at the first buying opportunity - study the marketplace and wait until a good deal appears.

07-03-2014, 03:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Just remembered another comparative test, this time with the CZJ 135/3.5 and Takumar 135s (f2.5 and f3.5):

135mm Lens War

The conclusion here is that the Super-Multi-Coated Tak 135/3.5 is actually slightly sharper than the CZJ when wide open. I have copies of both, and I'm not quite so convinced about that, but certainly the S-M-C Tak is another excellent 135. It also has build quality second to none (super smooth focusing).

I have a copy of the earlier (and in fact, very early in my case) Super Takumar 135/3.5, and it's not a patch on the S-M-C version. Either there's something wrong with it or the SuperTak just isn't anywhere near as sharp as the S-M-C Tak - so I wouldn't recommend it (flare resistance and contrast are bound to be inferior anyway).
07-03-2014, 06:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cheers for all the replys. So it sounds like all 3 are options but with a slight egde to the Super Takumar's. I would love to get the 85mm 1.8 but think its a bit out of my price rage at the moment but will consider the 135 (well I'll certainly check prices for this lens).
07-03-2014, 05:45 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I haven't tried all of my M42 lenses on my K5 and K5-IIs as of yet but the SMC 55mm F1.8 is a great lens. I haven't tried my Vivitar 28, 135 or my tank of a Vivitar 75 - 260 f4.5 zoom either. I don't have much hope in that old girl being very good on a digital camera, but if anybody breaks into the house that's what I am throwing at them. I do have an old Tamron 300mm f5.6 lens too that I haven't tried out yet. But back in the day I pretty much used it for everything It focused down to 8 feet. I figure that one is not all that great on digital cameras either.