Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Lens has a little oil on blades, is this an issue?

Hello,

I recently acquired a new lens, and notice a tiny bit of what I think is oil. I'm not an expert, so I googled pictures of oil on blades and generally mine seems like "a joke" compared to what others have. My question is, will this oil affect my lens? During my research, I understand oil can affect the ability for the lens to close its blades quickly and could also splatter onto the glass and ruin it.

Here are some photos taken with my phone...I tried to the best of my ability to get quality photos but I think they show you enough.. The litte black dots or smeers is what I'm talking about. Should I consider getting the lens cleaned?

Thanks.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
07-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

QuoteOriginally posted by Zealex Quote
I recently acquired a new lens
Which lens is this? If it is a recently manufactured, could you exchange it?

A dot of oil on an old lens can get worse over time based on temperature.
07-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #3

Original Poster
Pentax A 100mm/2.8. I could only return it, or get it cleaned (but I hear that's very expensive).
07-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you're really worried send it to Eric...

Home

I think a lens CLA is less than $50.

07-02-2014, 09:48 AM   #5

Original Poster
So since oil can get worse, but it's not bad yet, I should be on the safe side and just send it in? Everyone here seems to state Eric has magical powers :P
07-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, send it to Eric. That's not a lens that is common, it is worth taking care of. Talk to Eric, he is very reasonable and does excellent work.
07-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #7

Original Poster
Another post said he charged 35 bucks! So it seems like a reasonable price, better to be safe than sorry eh?

Yeah it isn't a common lens, but gets much praise for the few that do (includes me, tried it and love it). I wonder why not many people are interested in it...

07-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #8

Original Poster
I emailed Eric and he said it should be 50 dollars or less, awesome! I'm looking at his site, and it seems I I just send my lens to the address? I feel like there's some paperwork I'm supposed to fill out before shipment... am I missing something?

Thanks for the advice everyone.
07-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zealex Quote
I feel like there's some paperwork I'm supposed to fill out before shipment... am I missing something?
Eric is not big on paperwork. There is nothing to fill out. What I have done is type up a letter / memo with my name, contact info, everything I am including in the package with serial numbers and a brief description of what I think is wrong. I've no idea if you need to do that or not, I just figure if I got a box with a lens in it that's the info I would want handy to process the repair.

Then I pack it all up include the letter and send it off. I usually get an email in a week or so with a quote. Email him back with an OK and a paypal transaction & a bit later a box shows up on my door step.
07-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Eric is not big on paperwork. There is nothing to fill out. What I have done is type up a letter / memo with my name, contact info, everything I am including in the package with serial numbers and a brief description of what I think is wrong. I've no idea if you need to do that or not, I just figure if I got a box with a lens in it that's the info I would want handy to process the repair.

Then I pack it all up include the letter and send it off. I usually get an email in a week or so with a quote. Email him back with an OK and a paypal transaction & a bit later a box shows up on my door step.
Thank you for the reply. Just felt like I was supposed to let him know beforehand that I'm shipping him my lens. Going to send it out Saturday, hopefully it'll be quick.