Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2014, 04:37 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
The worst bit of DA50, DA35, FA50 hoods is that despite theses lenses are small and high quality, you loose the nice hood design of the limited that really make using hood a joy!
That's true, but I'm actually quite a fan of the 49mm standard collapsible rubber hood. I use it on my FA 28mm, FA 35mm, FA 50mm and D FA 100mm. Not exclusively, I have original hoods for the 35, 50 and 100mm lenses, and the telephoto hood shown above for the 50mm, but sometimes I don't have room for all these hoods, so I just use one for everybody.

On APS-C the hood shown below is correct for the 28 and 35mm lenses. It's less ideal for the 50mm but a lot better than nothing, and is exactly like the original rubber hood sold by Pentax. The 100mm can take a much longer hood. but the front element of that lens is already recessed about an inch, so not much protection is needed. In fact at 1:1 macro, the rubber hood provides more protection than the non-extending original hood. A rubber hood allows you to easily mount and adjust a CPL (in the hood's filter ring, not on the lens).

General Brand 49mm Collapsible Rubber Lens Hood NP11049 B&H

07-08-2014, 07:54 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
In a recent Digitalrev video on Digitalrev Kai did one of his patented satires on "unnecessary" photography practices. He claimed that lens hoods were mainly a waste of space. I have always thought that the standard advice about hoods made good sense especially where I live in the Arizona desert with very bright sun. What do you think about the need for lens hoods? Are you aware of any controlled studies? Thanks for your input. In the meantime I plan to continue to use my lens hoods.
As I recall from one of the few Kai vids I could stomach, he must feel that neck straps are also unnecessary. "What a maroon!" to quote the immortal Bugs Bunny. Just wait til he drops is Canon with its L lenses on a sidewalk or in the river. I wonder, does he pay for the gear he sports??
07-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

He DID INDEED already drop a Canon L zoom in one of the vids and broke the front element. I have a feeling it was also on purpose and that the show has allocated a budget towards equipment destruction.