Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Recommendations on longer zooms?

I just picked up a used DA 18-135, since my F 35-105 died, and really like it so far. Just wish it was a little longer. I do have a FA 28-200, in comparison to the 18-135 it just doesn't seem as sharp and the colors just seem kind of flat.

Any recommendations on moderately priced zooms 200mm+?

07-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The pentax 55-300mm would be a good choice for you IMO

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The DA55-300 should be high on your list - there are 3 versions of it now. DAL55-300 DA55-300 HDDA55-300wr - optically they are the same, but the dal won't come with a hood, does not have quick shift and has a plastic mount. All good values. I've also tried the Tamron 70-300 and it's pretty sharp, but it's larger and heavier than the Pentax - it also has quite a bit of chromatic aberration on most Pentax bodies.
07-05-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I love my F 70-210. It's not much longer then 200, but it has a character all it's own.

07-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you feel like spending (a lot) more and carrying (a lot) more weight, I love the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8. It really is something special. The 55-300 is a more budget friendly option, though.
07-05-2014, 06:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
I love my F 70-210. It's not much longer then 200, but it has a character all it's own.
I've got one, too. It's a fast focuser, as well. For longer, I'm trying out a set of MF lenses: 60-300mm, 100-300mm (x2), and soon, 80-400mm (AF on Nikon; MF, old school, on Pentax). A Tamron SP 1.4x tele converter supplements (for Nikon, since these are much more plentiful and much cheaper in Nikon mount -- both 100-300mm's are Nikon mount, too; they can be "direct-adapted" to Pentax). I feel judicious use of one or more of these latter may prove to offer better results at the long end than the usual something-to-300 consumer zooms for my applications (mostly landscape). Just a guess, based on some on-paper/online research. This is a very economical approach if the MF lens is bought well. That may only require a bit of time to accomplish.
07-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter

If you want really long the Sigma 150-500 is a blast. You need a monopod at the very least, or even better, a tripod with it. Also, the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 is nice, sharp, but big.

07-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
If you want really long the Sigma 150-500 is a blast. You need a monopod at the very least, or even better, a tripod with it. Also, the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 is nice, sharp, but big.

Depending on age/strength, tripod is not needed. I (and many others) hand-hold the 50-500mm for instance. For me 4.6lbs is not that heavy (I can shoot a full day with it) and in the sun I'm shooting f/10 1/1000s ISO 200 so combined with the in-body shake reduction I can shoot planes going 400+ mph no problem.
07-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
Depending on age/strength, tripod is not needed. I (and many others) hand-hold the 50-500mm for instance. For me 4.6lbs is not that heavy (I can shoot a full day with it) and in the sun I'm shooting f/10 1/1000s ISO 200 so combined with the in-body shake reduction I can shoot planes going 400+ mph no problem.
Unless I have mone on a tripod or monopod shooting handheld at 500 mm in poor light is impossible. Wildlife is in poor light most of the time I shoot it. It has nothing to do with age or strength, and more to do with any little shake can throw things off.
07-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unless I have mone on a tripod or monopod shooting handheld at 500 mm in poor light is impossible. Wildlife is in poor light most of the time I shoot it. It has nothing to do with age or strength, and more to do with any little shake can throw things off.
I was responding to, "You need a monopod at the very least..." and while that's not bad advice when shooting wildlife, at least when you have a camera that doesn't do very high ISO well, I don't remember this thread mentioning anything about wildlife. I wrote generally about what is possible with that class of lens (i.e. it is not always necessary to have a monopod/tripod) and gave a specific example I can speak to. It would have been helpful if you had mentioned specifics in your post.
07-07-2014, 06:08 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
I was responding to, "You need a monopod at the very least..." and while that's not bad advice when shooting wildlife, at least when you have a camera that doesn't do very high ISO well, I don't remember this thread mentioning anything about wildlife. I wrote generally about what is possible with that class of lens (i.e. it is not always necessary to have a monopod/tripod) and gave a specific example I can speak to. It would have been helpful if you had mentioned specifics in your post.
In general, using the 150-500 non OS version, on the long end you pretty well need one for most shooting with it unless it is super bright outside, even with the K5. This is experience speaking. In body SR doesn't do well on this lens at the long end. That's also experience speaking, and there are many others who have experienced the same, finding that the in body SR sucks at 500mm.
07-07-2014, 07:29 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In general, using the 150-500 non OS version, on the long end you pretty well need one for most shooting with it unless it is super bright outside, even with the K5. This is experience speaking. In body SR doesn't do well on this lens at the long end. That's also experience speaking, and there are many others who have experienced the same, finding that the in body SR sucks at 500mm.
I think it depends on the body to an extent, and how high ISO you can shoot, but I have heard that the OS version is better at stabilization at 500mm than in-body. And as we gain higher quality high ISO shooting, it will make handheld shooting easier. Nature Photography pros like Robert OToole shoot high ISO on Nikon full-frame bodies and hand hold the Sigma 50-500mm. Pentax will get there.
07-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

That's also experience speaking, and there are many others who have experienced the same, finding that the in body SR sucks at 500mm.
I've just got this lens (the newer version), and it has two flavours of SR on it - one suitable for being mounted on monopod/tripod, the other handheld.
07-08-2014, 05:42 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I've just got this lens (the newer version), and it has two flavours of SR on it - one suitable for being mounted on monopod/tripod, the other handheld.
I thought mode 2 was just as suitable for handheld, as I understood the second option is biased for panning movement. So It does not correct for horizontal movement so the panning motion itself does not get adjusted.
07-08-2014, 05:56 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I shoot the 150-500 mostly hand held. The monopod is there to give me a rest when my arms get tired. Sometimes the birds are at a level that I can use the monopod for the shot.

But I don't have a ball head or gimbal so I have to pick the whole thing up to shoot high.