Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

I just love, love, love the color/sharpness from these Viv 28's, nice shots all.

cooldude, which 28 is that exactly? Can you read and post exactly what it says on the front, or better yet, post shots of the lens itself? I think (by my count) there are three Viv 28 2.8 close-focus lenses, by Komine, Kiron, and then Cosina? I think?

Anyway, a shot of the lens posted here would be neat when/if you get the time.

Thanks!

Hey Jay,

A side question to you. Have you tested the Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 from Kiron. I saw your comment in my blog post and I fall short in replying you. I think you may be a bit disappointed with the copy from Kiron if you compare to your Komine copy. The Kiron is not bad by any means but not as good as yours. But I like the Kiron especially in the smooth focusing part and the built is one of a kind form Kiron. The manual focusing ring in the Kiron copy is the best among all of my manual lens gear. The minimal focusing distance is a bit short than 0.2 meter. The IQ is fine but I find it a bit lacking in detail compared to your Komine copy and it does not have the smooth bokeh like your komine copy. Sometime I find the bokeh distracting and sometimes I find it great, it is kind of odd bokeh depending on situations.

I think I can hardly find a reasonable priced copy of Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 Close focus from Komine to replace my Kiron copy as you all discussed it so much that it only lead to price upping.

06-09-2008, 12:07 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hin,

I have barely even had time to put the new Viv/Kiron 28 CF WA on the camera yet, but I'll let you know what I think and maybe post in this thread and your blog when I do. Actually I liked the shots you took with it and posted in your blog quite a bit.

The Viv/Komine 28 CF was a lucky purchase - neither I nor the camera store where I bought it knew what it was at the time

06-09-2008, 07:42 PM   #33
Forum Member

do you guys find the difference between manufacturers really that great? I mean, i have a cosina made one (which isn't really as respected as say komine), but the colors seem really good and it's very sharp wide open.
06-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aruxaru Quote
do you guys find the difference between manufacturers really that great? I mean, i have a cosina made one (which isn't really as respected as say komine), but the colors seem really good and it's very sharp wide open.

I don't know that it's the manufacturers that make that much of a difference in this particular case (Viv 28mm's) - the optical designs themselves are different. I think we're using the manufacturer here as a means of distinguishing - all three of the 28's we're talking about have very similar 'names' (28 Close Focus, 28 Wide Angle close focus, etc), so it's often easier just to name the version by the manufacturer so we know which one we're talking about.

When Vivitar contracted out to have these lenses and several of the Series-1 lenses made by Kiron, Cosina, Komine, and others, the specs they gave the manufacturers were high-standard, and the manufactures were chosen because they (at the time) could deliver on those standards.

I'd like to see shots of and by your Cosina-built Viv, I have no doubt they look good!

06-09-2008, 09:05 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster

YES!! The difference among the manufacturers can be dramatic. So far all but the Korean made Vivitar 28mm lenses have been very good, but there are differences.

Your Cosina copy should be excellent and I'd like to see a few pictures taken with it. I'm gonna guess the Cosina version will be VERY sharp with a harsher bokeh. The Komine lenses have a little less edge sharpness, but gain bokeh and color. I would let soft bokeh go in favor of a very well defined & sharp image because I like that 3D effect it can offer. Your Cosina version may be ideal if I were in the market.

Cooldude, you have a superb example of the close focus 28mm. The sharpness & color are right up there with what I'd expect from these fantastic lenses. Enjoy it!
06-09-2008, 11:18 PM   #36
Forum Member

i'll post some pics up as soon as i get a SDHC compatible card reader *sigh*...

Tourdeforce, i think you're right. the lens IS quite sharper. I'm not a good determiner of boke quality though.

How close can the close focus lens go?

how do you find these vivitars compared to the pentax M/K/A lines?
06-09-2008, 11:32 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
Cooldude, you have a superb example of the close focus 28mm. The sharpness & color are right up there with what I'd expect from these fantastic lenses. Enjoy it!
Thank you! Yes, I am starting to find it great, and enjoying taking pictures with it.

Thanks you all for the interesting information.
06-10-2008, 04:11 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i'll post some pics up as soon as i get a SDHC compatible card reader *sigh*...

Tourdeforce, i think you're right. the lens IS quite sharper. I'm not a good determiner of boke quality though.

How close can the close focus lens go?

how do you find these vivitars compared to the pentax M/K/A lines?
The Pentax 28mm f/2.8 lenses are sub-par across the board. Possible exception to the FA autofocus version, which is good, but not stellar.

The Pentax 28mm f/2.0 lenses are far better and similar in performance to the Vivitars, but good luck finding one...

06-10-2008, 07:00 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
The Pentax 28mm f/2.8 lenses are sub-par across the board. Possible exception to the FA autofocus version, which is good, but not stellar.

The Pentax 28mm f/2.0 lenses are far better and similar in performance to the Vivitars, but good luck finding one...

I definitely wouldn't characterize all the Pentax 28 f/2.8's as 'sub-par'. My
M 28 2.8 holds up well to my Komine Viv 28 2.8 CF, and it's probably a bit better
at 28mm than my DA* 16-50 (although I haven't had a shootout between
the zoom & the prime to test.)

It's better at 28mm than the Tamron 28-75 2.8 I used to have. Besides
my Vivs, I have no other 28 prime to compare it to, though.

Last edited by jsherman999; 06-10-2008 at 08:13 PM.
06-10-2008, 08:09 PM   #40
Forum Member

Well, i finally got some photos up. I am not very sure what makes good test images at all. If these don't really show the strength/weakness of the lens, let me know what to shoot and I'll do that. Without further ado, my Cosina-made Vivitar 28mm

both are uncropped and no pp done. i like it quite a bit... i can see it being my main landscape lens. what do you guys think?
06-10-2008, 08:18 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Well, i finally got some photos up. I am not very sure what makes good test images at all. If these don't really show the strength/weakness of the lens, let me know what to shoot and I'll do that. Without further ado, my Cosina-made Vivitar 28mm
both are uncropped and no pp done. i like it quite a bit... i can see it being my main landscape lens. what do you guys think?

I think they're great. Congrats, you have a very nice Viv 28.

Could you post a quick shot of the front of the lens itself? I'm trying to
determine if we're talking about the same optical design as the Komine
or Kiron, or another altogether.

06-10-2008, 08:30 PM   #42
Forum Member

thanks!

is this pic good enough? i get so frustrated with my point and shoot...
08-04-2008, 07:06 AM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Yes, the Vivitar 28 f2.8 close focus is a wonderful lens - very sharp and
colorful. I really, really love it.

If you run across one, buy it.
This thread is responsible for me scouring EBay for weeks in order to get this lens. Luckily, when it popped up, it was on BIN so I pounced on it like a starving jaguar high on a tree.

There is only one way of stopping the spread of this LBA. Ban people from posting beautiful photos from their lenses beginning with Jsherman999.

08-04-2008, 12:28 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexJ Quote
This thread is responsible for me scouring EBay for weeks in order to get this lens. Luckily, when it popped up, it was on BIN so I pounced on it like a starving jaguar high on a tree.

There is only one way of stopping the spread of this LBA. Ban people from posting beautiful photos from their lenses beginning with Jsherman999.

Nice shots!

I think I actually do have to take responsibility for this one, because as far as I
remember, no-one was really aware of this lens until I stumbled on it
and started blabbing/raving about it. Either they're pretty rare, or no-one puts
them up for sale because they don't think they're worth anything.

I think I paid $30 for mine from a local store.

Since I have too many lenses now, I should let this go to someone who really
is lusting after it. I don't want to sell, because frankly I don't know what to ask.

What I think I'll do is donate it for a monthly photo contest - how about a theme of 'close focus images with non-macro lenses?"

(How do we donate stuff, BTW...?)

08-05-2008, 06:41 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I owe jsherman too.
I saw this thread when first posted and have bought two Viv 28 2.8s since. One possibly Tokina build in M42 mount with 62mm filter thread and the second a week ago is the true Komine wide angle close focus mentioned above - Serial no. 28301658. I bought it from a pawnbrokers and it is in flawless condtion but I did pay $Aus70 which I thought was a bit over the market. I think it was worth it.

I had been wanting a walkaround K mount - I thought I had it in a SMC K 55 1.8 but it is just too narrow a field of view on the DL2. Great for portraits though. (I used to own a Super Takumar 35mm F2 but that is another story.) I just love the close focus and the angle of view on the 28 and this lens delivers for me for my personal expression shots. I am finding I tend to the wide rather than the tele end of the scale when not taking pictures for work.

The strange bokeh is apparent at times. The vertical grill in the rear of the face painted girl image is a clear example. It does have some strange exposure and rendering tendencies. All the scenic images below have been processed with SilkyPix except the sea almond leaves one which was in ACR.

Location of yachts, foreshore and fountains is Cairns in North Queensland.