Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2008, 08:16 AM   #46

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow such a great lens.. Now I know why my friend leadbelly is in love with this lens! Ahahah

08-10-2008, 08:59 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
Thus far I've only been able to get a fleeting reference to a 'Close Focus' f/2.0 Vivitar. The f/2.8 that I have is NOT a Series 1 lens, obviously. I wonder if it may have been a precursor to the Series 1 line.
Supposedly I just won a "Vivitar Close Focus Wide Angle 28mm 1:2.0" in an auction. And, in separate instances, a Vivitar 28mm Wide Angle f/2.8 (Komine), Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 [TX mount] and Vivitar Series 1 Auto Wide Angle 28mm f/1.9 [M42 mount].

When all arrive I will have a four-way Vivitar shoot-out!

Donations to the cause will be accepted, since I've rather over-extended myself here. (Seriously... you can PayPal me through a link on my blog.)
08-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #48
Veteran Member

I just bought a 28mm Viv that looks just like this. No.22316664. The seller did not know what kind of mount it was. From his description it is either a K mount or a Minolta. If it's a Minolta, back on the auction block it goes. If it's a K mount... $15 is a great deal.

The last 28mm I had I cut the flange off, so I am totally up for it again.

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I am guessing that yours are from Komine if it starts with serial number like 28. I saw great pictures from Jsherman999. And I think I prefer his pictures over mine. The serial number in my copy starts with 22 it is from Kiron according to this site

Vivitar Lens Manufactuers

My copy from Kiron is very well built but modification is needed to get it to work on my K100D and K10D due to large flange on the base

Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 from Kiron - Hin's Tech Corner

I have some test pictures in this flickr set:
Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 Test Shots - a set on Flickr
08-15-2008, 08:27 AM   #49
Veteran Member

I've PMed some of you to get info. Compiling everything together for mega resource. Conversations continuing over at this thread.

11-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
I have seen a Vivitar 28/2.8 that had "SMS" printed on the front. Does anyone know what this means?
QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
I have seen a Vivitar 28/2.8 that had "SMS" printed on the front. Does anyone know what this means?

I read somewhere that it stands for Special Marketing System and that the lenses where identical to their counterparts which had no markings, or marked "RL". The RL also came with an extended warranty, though not as long. LOL, apparently the standard warranty of five years was deemed insufficient!

I know this is an old thread, but it came up during my search for the meaning of Vivitar SMS, so I thought it might save someone some time.

-Mac
09-10-2015, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

I've lusted for this lens for a loooong time and finally got one! (Vivitar 28mm f2 Komine built) It's everything I had hoped for.
Close.

Closer.

Wide angle.

Stitched panorama

But take this lens out at night.....

Iridium flare.

100% crop.
09-10-2015, 06:36 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
Thus far I've only been able to get a fleeting reference to a 'Close Focus' f/2.0 Vivitar. The f/2.8 that I have is NOT a Series 1 lens, obviously. I wonder if it may have been a precursor to the Series 1 line.

One reviewer & Pentax enthusiast described the Close Focus 28mm f/2.0:

"Many Vivitar 28/2s are advertised, but fewer than 1 in 20 are
advertised as close focus, so I assume that the close focus version
proudly states its capability in the etched letters. The CF model is
regarded as a far superior lens, arguably worthy of the Series 1 name." - Paul . Stregevsky

Paul is a technical writer & contributor to the Pentax Discussion Members List and other online communities.

Please add more info if you can find any...
I picked up a Vivitar 28/2 CF from another forum member not too long ago. It has since made friends with my other 28's:

On my first outing with the 28/2 CF I spent some quality time with a few flowers, taking all shots wide open at f/2 and generally, well, sometimes CLOSE focusing. Here are a couple:

A little group of tired roses:

The stamens and pistils in the middle of a flower:

[Both pix were unprocessed except for cropping, shrinking, and compressing.]

I would say that, at least wide open at f/2, the DOF is minimal, the lens is not overly soft, and there is some purple fringing. But, all in all, I was pretty satisfied with my first experiment.

Oh, and I'm developing a strong liking for live view focus peaking (despite the fact that, after looking in an optical viewfinder for over half a century, I am still learning how to steady a cam body and lens with just my arms).

Last edited by fwcetus; 09-11-2015 at 01:18 PM. Reason: grammah