Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-05-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Vivitar 28mm Close Focus

Yes, a Close Focus Vivitar 28mm f2.8 Wide Angle that is NOT labeled a series 1. I've only seen one other on the North American Continent. Not very common where I am. Does anybody have any information on this lens, like how many were made?

I just picked up a copy and it takes some very nice pictures.

05-06-2008, 04:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you know who made it? Could you post some pics of the lens itself?
05-06-2008, 08:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Vivitar Lens Manufactuers

These are decent lenses, though I'm sure there are supporters of one OEM over another... in the KEH catalog, they tend to list these as generic, by speed and filter size, draw your conclusions.

I love the close focus on these!
05-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 from Kiron

I am guessing that yours are from Komine if it starts with serial number like 28. I saw great pictures from Jsherman999. And I think I prefer his pictures over mine. The serial number in my copy starts with 22 it is from Kiron according to this site

Vivitar Lens Manufactuers

My copy from Kiron is very well built but modification is needed to get it to work on my K100D and K10D due to large flange on the base

Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 from Kiron - Hin's Tech Corner

I have some test pictures in this flickr set:
Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 Test Shots - a set on Flickr

Last edited by hinman; 05-28-2008 at 04:07 AM.
05-06-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hinman, the serial on mine starts with a 28, so I agree it is a Komine lens. Mine looks dramatically different from yours. The Komine I have could easily be mistaken for a fast 50mm or 28mm Tokina. Very nice glass indeed. Love stumbling on little gems like this!

The face where all the lens stats are imprinted include the words "Close Focus", so this 28mm f/2.8 seems to be unusual in that respect. I've searched all over every Vivitar site that Google can find, but have not been able to locate any reference to a close focus 28mm.

I saw one of these several years ago, but thought an auto aperture lens would be wasted on my lowly K1000 film body. Wish I'd have bought that one too...

I'll post pix in a minute... Here ya go:

The range scale has a series of numbers in BLUE that supposedly indicate the 'Close Focus' Range. I'm gonna stop by the local garden shop Wednesday night & get some colorful pictures with it. I can't wait to experiment!

Last edited by TourDeForce; 05-06-2008 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Added pix
05-06-2008, 06:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thus far I've only been able to get a fleeting reference to a 'Close Focus' f/2.0 Vivitar. The f/2.8 that I have is NOT a Series 1 lens, obviously. I wonder if it may have been a precursor to the Series 1 line.

One reviewer & Pentax enthusiast described the Close Focus 28mm f/2.0:

"Many Vivitar 28/2s are advertised, but fewer than 1 in 20 are
advertised as close focus, so I assume that the close focus version
proudly states its capability in the etched letters. The CF model is
regarded as a far superior lens, arguably worthy of the Series 1 name." - Paul . Stregevsky

Paul is a technical writer & contributor to the Pentax Discussion Members List and other online communities.

Please add more info if you can find any...
05-06-2008, 07:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

What's the maximum macro? 1:5, 1:4...?

05-06-2008, 07:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes, the Vivitar 28 f2.8 close focus is a wonderful lens - very sharp and
colorful. I really, really love it.

Mine's made by Komine (I think they all are.) The SN starts with 28. Komine
also made several Vivitar Series 1 lines, including the 70-210 3rd edition, which is
the best of the S1 70-210's. So this little 28mm is effectively a Series 1
in disguise!

Below are some shots of and by the lens. If you run across one, buy it
ASAP.

I'm really with Kelly ("The PiRate") on the close-focus thing - it adds so
much to the fun and capability of any lens.

Last edited by jsherman999; 05-06-2008 at 07:51 PM.
05-06-2008, 08:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Excellent pictures from Jsherman999, I wish I can trade my Kiron copy with yours. But I do have a liking on my Kiron copy. Though it does not have the wording for close focusing, the minimal focusing is less than 0.2m and I find it quite handy. And the kiron copy is excellent in the focusing ring with a focusing throw larger than 1/2 turn and I find superb handling in focusing. I much prefer the focusing ring in those old Vivitar lens than my Pentax M28mm f/2.8. In comparison, the Pentax 28mm is better in color but sharpness and built goes to the Vivitar. But I can't compare the Pentax A 28mm f/2.8 as that would be a better Pentax lens overall.

In short, if you run into Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 (or something) with a serial # 28 for Komine, pay more attention. And if you run into Viviatr 28 f/2.5 with serial # 22 from Kiron, you need to be aware of incompatible flange that needs modification in order to work. But I find the hazzle worth the trouble, it is one of the Kiron lens that I never stop bragging about. Something about the Kiron copy, it has ringed lights that are circular. The bokeh is not as smooth as I like, but I find the circular ringed lights quite unique

Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 form Kiron in modification
to grind down the flange

Some test shots to show ringed lights in bokeh/background

The ringed lights are all circular

Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 from Kiron - Hin's Tech Corner

Last edited by hinman; 05-28-2008 at 04:08 AM.
05-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I like the tree picture a LOT! Very nice presentation there. I bet that type of bokeh would be a really cool effect combined with car headlights at night or something similar.

I usually find that type of bokeh distracting, but it can certainly be used to advantage in the right situations.
05-08-2008, 06:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
I like the tree picture a LOT! Very nice presentation there. I bet that type of bokeh would be a really cool effect combined with car headlights at night or something similar.

I usually find that type of bokeh distracting, but it can certainly be used to advantage in the right situations.
Yes, the bokeh in my Kiron 28mm f/2.5 can be distracting, creating some sort of weirdness in the background with unclear detail. I don't know if this is similar to ghosting in old manual lens in digital bodies. But the circular ringed lights in bokeh 'may' become an interesting attribute in city lights. Can't wait to try this lens in nighttime.

Hin
05-08-2008, 06:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have one of these too, SN 28301294.

Bought it from a gent last year, in true mint condition. The only thing it's missing is the Made in Japan label, which fell off in my hands. It's one of my favorites. And for $20 bucks - swap made at a Rochester Mobil gas station, what a deal!
05-08-2008, 07:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
What's the maximum macro? 1:5, 1:4...?
The close focus markings begin with 1:7 and end at 1:5. I can get five and one-half inches from my subject. That's .14 meters for you metric users.
05-08-2008, 07:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Yes, the bokeh in my Kiron 28mm f/2.5 can be distracting, creating some sort of weirdness in the background with unclear detail. I don't know if this is similar to ghosting in old manual lens in digital bodies. But the circular ringed lights in bokeh 'may' become an interesting attribute in city lights. Can't wait to try this lens in nighttime.

Hin
I'm pretty sure that ghosting is an entirely different effect. I've seen it manifest as a 'halo' to one side of a subject, usually when it's off center of the frame. That effect has a tendency to wash some color from the image in extreme cases. It's sorta like wicked bad CA, only white or yellow (depending on lens).
05-12-2008, 05:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
I'm pretty sure that ghosting is an entirely different effect. I've seen it manifest as a 'halo' to one side of a subject, usually when it's off center of the frame. That effect has a tendency to wash some color from the image in extreme cases. It's sorta like wicked bad CA, only white or yellow (depending on lens).
Thank you for the follow up on ghosting.