Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Help me love my FA 43

Forgive the vague subject, but I'm stuck at the hospital and bored to tears.

Maybe it's squeezed out by my 35 Macro and 50s, but I'm having a tough time loving my 43 the way most others do. The MFD is frustrating, and it meters like sh!t on my K5 with the Canon focusing screen. I'm inclined to sell it, but I'm afraid I'll get seller's remorse the instant I do that. I know that lens preferences are a deeply personal thing, yet I feel like something is wrong with me for not totally loving this lens.

The 35 Macro Limited, on the other hand...I want to have children with it!

07-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Put it on your camera and shoot with it every day for a month. Join a Single In Challenge. Find its strengths, work around its weaknesses.
If no love by the end of the month sell it without remorse.
07-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I rather recently got the 43 myself. I have to say though, when it's on, its on with this lens. What I see with it more than anything is a special kind of rendering. It's subtle but nice. I have the 40mm Limited as well and I like that one too, but to me these two are different animals. Again it's subtle. The 43 for me is a bit more an artist's lens. That said I don't think I will sell my 40mm

The 40mm is a more pop kind of lens and the 43 seems more like a unique dusty flavor of rendering lens. Just take a few shots with it and compare. I'm loving mine.
07-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote

Maybe it's squeezed out by my 35 Macro and 50s, but I'm having a tough time loving my 43 the way most others do. The MFD is frustrating, and it meters like sh!t on my K5 with the Canon focusing screen. I'm inclined to sell it, but I'm afraid I'll get seller's remorse the instant I do that. I know that lens preferences are a deeply personal thing, yet I feel like something is wrong with me for not totally loving this lens.

You're right that something is wrong with you(hanging out & singing in junkyards). I've used mine for sports & snapshots and love it(being that it's a brown bagger doesn't hurt as I'll never sell it).

07-08-2014, 12:49 AM   #5
ASa

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Put it on your camera and shoot with it every day for a month. Join a Single In Challenge. Find its strengths, work around its weaknesses.
If no love by the end of the month sell it without remorse.
That's one excellent advice.
07-08-2014, 01:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Stop using metering, if its a problem. Go full M: no metering, no auto-ISO, no AF, BW jpeg (maybe with tint)., pretend you are using an SLR. That will help you develop skills for all other lenses, as well. Skills like understanding metering, predicting a good exposure, focusing on composition, achieving critical focus/sharpness, having a steady hand and shutter button. To help with this, you can start a photo project. Photos of objects, only old things, special medicinal tools, the lunches, looking for shapes, "use a little toy or something as protagonist"," etc.
Hope you get out soon
07-08-2014, 01:37 AM   #7
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
Sorry to hear that.

QuoteQuote:
Quite the opposite with me (well, I don't have the Macro) - I haven't used my 35 of any of the 50ies after I got the 43 (and FA28). Of course, if you like to get close you will want to use a macro anyway.

I struggle with metering with any lens with the EE-S screen, mostly underexposure, and maybe more with my slower lenses than with the 43. I doubt I will swap the screen on the K-3 (and the brighter viewfinder is easier to use with the stock screen anyway).

I agree with Na Horuk - use the lens every day for a while to get to know it properly. Then you'll know if it's for you or not. I know I won't sell mine!

QuoteQuote:
TMI!

07-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I have the 40mm Limited as well and I like that one too, but to me these two are different animals. Again it's subtle. The 43 for me is a bit more an artist's lens. That said I don't think I will sell my 40mm
I'm with you on this. I can't bring myself to selling the DA 40 because the rendering is different, as well as the handling. I love both for different reasons/applications.
07-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Shoot stuff with lots of contrast. That's where it really shines. My favorite picture with it is of a gazebo surrounded by flowers of many colors on a overcast day. It came out wonderfully.
07-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The FOV on an APS-C body would make me want to sell the FA43 as well, however on a FF film camera it’s one of my favorite lenses. Keep it for when FF comes.

Phil.
07-08-2014, 09:43 AM   #11
Pentaxian

If you like your 35 and 50, sell the 43 with no remorse. The DA 35 macro gives you far superior close focusing while the 50 gives you a wide aperture for low light and bokeh.

I love the rendering of the FA 43 but don't have much use for that focal length. The length of my keepers is either wide or telephoto. I rarely take anything within middle focal lengths. I also feel handicapped by the FA 43's rather long minimum focus distance.
07-08-2014, 09:57 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I shoot portraits and find the 40/43mm focal lenght good on APS-C for a very short tele / long normal lens. On the K-5 my FA43 did struggle, it had trouble focusing accurately, and adjustment wasn't possible since it both front- & backfocused. I've been using it on my K-3 for a couple of months, and it is much more reliable. It has lots of charachter and it's only major weakness I've found are very soft corners at wider apertures, but for portraits that doesn't really matter.

Shot with K-3 and FA43 at f/2.5
07-09-2014, 04:44 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Make sure your focus is adjusted properly. With the 43 its the difference between "meh" and "HOLY COW!"
07-09-2014, 06:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I've just got an early 43.......has potential

IGP4486
by Noelpolar, on Flickr
07-09-2014, 08:22 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I've just got an early 43.......has potential

IGP4486
by Noelpolar, on Flickr
Great pics with the FA 43, just as I would expect. Do you find that the FA 31 is as sharp as the 43? Can you tell a difference?