Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
Forum Member

pentax 35mm DA 2.4 lens hood and filter

Hey guys I had no idea that the 35mm 2.4 DA not the L version had no screw to mount a filter on. I bought a hoya filter kit and have no way to mount the filters. Please advise on what to get.

Also is there a hood that is compatible with this ?

07-08-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mellowyeahlow Quote
Hey guys I had no idea that the 35mm 2.4 DA not the L version had no screw to mount a filter on. I bought a hoya filter kit and have no way to mount the filters. Please advise on what to get.
What are you talking about? There is only DA 35mm f2.4 and it has a filter thread with 49mm diameter. There is no L version, but the lens does have an AL in its name (meaning the lens includes aspherical elements - a good thing). It doesn't have a bayonet for a hood, but it has standard filter threads so you can screw on any 49mm filter or lens hood. I don't know what size filters/hood you bought, maybe they are too big (52mm?)
07-08-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Nvm... I'm clueless... hahah. First filter ever. Sorry I'm clueless.

Ok.. so this can't hold a hood huh?
07-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I don't have the lens but am looking at a picture of it and it appears to have 49mm filter threads.

Pentax has always been inconsistent in putting hood bayonets on lenses, and I'm not a fan of that. I don't even understand it from a marketing perspective, in that Pentax loses the opportunity to sell expensive pieces of plastic. It was true years ago and is still true now. There are ways to overcome that (the 28/3.5 SMCT hood design for example), but too frequently you're stuck with those annoying screw-on hoods.

07-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

It won't fit how? Can you maybe post a closeup/crop photo of the filter?
I mean, its a filter, you screw it on. Can you try putting it on another lens?

Btw, the DA 35mm f2.4 doesn't come with a hood. I don't know what kind of hood you are using. You can buy any screw-in hood for 49mm filter threads. You should buy one for a "normal" lens. Can be round, with petals, rubber or plastic, doesn't matter

Edit: Oh wait, are you talking about the DA 35mm f2.8 limited macro? This one has a built-in hood
07-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I was an idiot. I didn't line the filter at a right angle so the threads would never line up. Sorry. I'm clueless. Hahaha

---------- Post added 07-08-14 at 05:01 PM ----------

And I'm pretty upset that this has no mount for a hood. This thing looks fragile
07-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

No worries Filters can be very fiddly, with the precise filter threads. Especially new ones might be a little tight to fit
07-08-2014, 05:04 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Man this 35mm takes some sharp pictures. I'm in looooove

07-08-2014, 05:33 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
Post some pictures to the Plastic Fantastic lens club thread and browse those shared by others there. You'll find much to like about your new lens.
07-08-2014, 06:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Go out and shoot with it; you'll soon realize that you don't need a hood with that particular lens. The only time I get flare or low contrast is by putting the sun inside the shot...
07-08-2014, 06:57 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 35/2.4 takes a square spring mount hood (Plastic Square-edged Spring Type (PH-SA49)), the same hood fits the various 50s. It's expensive when Pentax has it, but a Chinese knockoff is still $11 and up on ebay. I have one of these and one spring sticks sometimes so it tends to fall off. I have switched to a metal screw mount hood that has a lens cap fitting the end of it.
07-08-2014, 07:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I use a knock off of the DA40 hood. Haven't noticed any vignetting.
07-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

And I'm pretty upset that this has no mount for a hood. This thing looks fragile
??? I use a hood on mine all the time - the one that goes with my A 50/1.7. It's a 49mm screw in hood. You could also use any of the generic rubber screw in hoods...
07-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Actually, it does. A real mount, not two short, wide grooves like many modern lenses. The threaded hood mount hasn't been completely replaced as the best, most stable, versatile and secure attachment system and probably won't. It works perfectly with another grand old tradition, which you'll need to learn as well; The screw-in filter.
Threaded mounts are more secure, protect the lens better and are the rule, not the exception. Clip-on is only for hoods and not universally-used for that.
Budget primes and zooms usually don't include a hood, Pentax is no different there. But if you look carefully at any (clip-on-hood) Pentax lens, they all have additional threads for filters. All good lenses do, as far as I know.
The plastic fantastic is very tolerant of hood dimension, I use a 49mm 'wide-angle' metal type but have resorted to a 'standard' (straight tube) one in a pinch, no vignetting so far. The flare resistance is good without a hood, but I prefer using one anyway.
Good luck!
Ron
07-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
I use a knock off of the DA40 hood. Haven't noticed any vignetting.
where did you get it?