Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2008, 03:02 PM   #31
Veteran Member

A rocket blower & lenspen for - if I catch a bit of sea-spray then lens cleaning fluid & lens tissue

simon

05-12-2008, 11:46 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
about as much as the polluted air of a heavy metropolis, if not less...
QuoteOriginally posted by metalfab Quote
Then eat something fresh before breathing on the lens.
I'm just saying. If you have started getting small dots of fungus on/in your lense, be careful with hot, moisty, and discusting breath on/in your lenses.

"The human mouth is a discusting place" / some fish in Finding Nemo

05-13-2008, 02:38 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Windex will not harm modern lens coatings.
The suggestion that hazing the lens with your breath will promote fungus is just plain ridiculous.

Chris
05-13-2008, 04:58 PM   #34
DAP

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The suggestion that hazing the lens with your breath will promote fungus is just plain ridiculous.

Chris

Agreed - on both fronts. I imagine that there are soooo many fungus spores floating around the atmosphere that our breath is the least of our fungus concerns (and personally I think that everybodies preoccupation with lens fungus borders on hysteria).

That being said I will admit to being a mouth breather If that doesn't quite cut it I'll use some Everclear (cheap, great lens cleaner, a fine base ingredient for a monster nogg, and the treatment of choice for dogs that have ingested anti-freeze.....overall a great and usefull product)

05-13-2008, 05:08 PM   #35

Isopropyl is a good call, I'll get that and some good quality tissues and dab with cotton balls/buds for the more stubborn stains.

Thanks for the heads up.
05-13-2008, 05:11 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Chris
I will have to disagree with you here. The contents of window cleaners such as Windex typically contain detergents, ammonia and fragrances:

Isopropanol - an alcohol that acts as a solvent and reagent.
Ethylene glycol n-hexyl ether - which is a weak acid
2-Butoxyethanol - which is basically an organic solvent
Water - Keeps ph levels stable, and to act as a solvent
05-13-2008, 07:45 PM   #37

I use hooker spit and toilet paper.
05-13-2008, 08:16 PM   #38
Veteran Member

dish washer.

no, really.

06-16-2008, 04:46 PM   #39

Zeiss-Pre-Moistened Lens Cloths?

have anyone used Zeiss pre-soaked wipes? they're about $0.08 a piece in package of 180 pieces....
06-16-2008, 07:27 PM   #40

Air. If it's not dust (liquid spots), then I'll just wait until it gets really bad, blow it off, and then use breath and cotton (sometimes my clean shirt if I have nothing else).

I've never really had debris on my lens that caused problems in the photos. Almost always its debris on the sensor that causes noticeable problems.
06-16-2008, 08:20 PM   #41
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Chris
Windex is a brand and they also have versions with ammonia in them and other brands are even more risky. Why risk an expensive lens over 50 cents worth of materials?
06-17-2008, 03:05 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Whatever you do, don't use a cleaning fluid that contains any kryptonite. If you do, your super multi-coated lens won't be super any more.
06-17-2008, 05:07 PM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Whatever you do, don't use a cleaning fluid that contains any kryptonite. If you do, your super multi-coated lens won't be super any more.
hehe, Superman!!!

on a less imaginative side, i believe the anti-reflective coating stuff is some form of silicon oxide (or derivatives) borrowed from chipmaking industry. That stuff is fairly resistant to basic solvents. It's also fairly hard. However, inorganic dust is microscopically rock-hard so a heavy hand certainly will produce scratching.

I just want to check out the convenience of instant-wipe cleaner so i want to know if some of you have used it before. The wet-wipe type available for prescription glasses could be convenience and safe for lens cleaning.