Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2008, 07:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

How do you clean your lens?

How do you clean your lens, especialy the front and back glass?
Especialy from finger prints!
I use dry, special cloth for eye-pieces (as suggested by the lens maker) but it isn't quite effective sometimes.

05-06-2008, 07:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The best way is to not need to do it. Dust and little spots don't really need to be cleaned often, since they won't show up anyway. Why are you getting finger prints on there?
05-06-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You can get a lens cleaner solution but make sure you put it on the cloth and not on the lens directly.

And the best thing to do is to avoid touching the front element with your fingers :-)
05-06-2008, 07:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Why are you getting finger prints on there?
I realy don't want to ...

05-06-2008, 07:48 AM   #5

Rocket blower to get off anything that will move with air, then microfiber cloth, if that doesn't quite do it then try a little breathing on lens first before the microfiber cloth.

Sometimes a little work with the "lens pen" seems to work wonders.

Using wet lens cloths never worked for me, always left streaks or smears.
05-06-2008, 08:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I use a blower to get the grit off, then Eclipse fluid on a Pec pad. It cleans off any smudges nicely with out streaking, and it only needs a light swipe or two to get the job done.
05-06-2008, 08:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

A quick blow across the lens to remove any dust tat may be settled on the surface and then some hot breath and a very soft microfiber cloth does the trick!

Jason

05-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kathyk Quote
Rocket blower to get off anything that will move with air, then microfiber cloth, if that doesn't quite do it then try a little breathing on lens first before the microfiber cloth.
That's pretty much my routine, too, except before I use the microfiber cloth, I try a very soft brush on stubborn particles that won't blow off. Then, if all else fails, I use Kodak Lens Cleaning solution and Kodak lintless tissues. As someone said, apply the solution to the tissue, not the lens surface. One drop will usually be plenty. I start in the center and work my way to the edges, then dry it with clean tissues using the same pattern.
05-06-2008, 08:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I've used the stuff you get from the optician's for coated eye glasses - since switching from Zeiss to Hoya, Pentax loyalist that I am, I got a nice Hoya microfiber cloth and some spritz spray that beads on contact.

However, I wouldn't use these very often at all. But products designed for multi coated Hoya lenses seem safe enough for necessary use on super multi coated Pentax glass.
05-06-2008, 09:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Here what I do for the following reasons. Wiping will eventually damage the lens. Use a blower to remove large particles, fingerprints are oily and hot breath simply warm and moist the surface, it helps but does not remove all the print residues. Over time it will accumulates and be harder to clean.

I mix 500ml of distilled water(Often used to clean contact lenses) with gentle dish soap(couple of very small drops). Keep it seal in a container and use this solution for years. Pour a small amount in a clean container, dip a clean and never used cotton ball in the solution, remove any excess water out of cotton ball then dab the surface of the lens, don't rub. You can move it around very gently. Don't use the same cotton ball twice, get a new one if you have to repeat. With a dry cotton ball or tissue, softly dry the surface immediacy. Repeat this procedure until surface is clean. Make sure you lens is pointing down to avoid any moisture making its way into the lens, it shouldn't as your cotton ball should be moist not wet. Keep it down until absolutely dry. If you are worry about soap remaining on the surface, repeat the procedure using distilled water only as a final cleaning step. With a blower, remove any particles left after drying completed.

To avoid damage, practice this procedure a couple of time on a cheap filter surface.

I have cleaned my lenses this way for many years and never had a problem. I also clean my telescope lenses using the same procedure. They do get very dirty for public viewings, everything from mas karat, finger print to even food (kids) have been deposited on the viewing surface. Never had scratches or coating damage using the above procedure.

I take no responsibilities in the above procedure as it is commonly used for cleaning optical surfaces in the amateur astronomy community. Search the internet for alternative or more information on the above or any other procedures.
05-06-2008, 11:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I also do the breath + microfiber cloth- seems to work fine for me.
05-06-2008, 12:10 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I use a LensPen, one side has a fine brush for the dust, the other end has a felt-type pad for cleaning off smears, spots, etc. that might occur.

Last edited by metalfab; 05-06-2008 at 02:29 PM.
05-06-2008, 01:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I never clean my lenses.

That's because as soon as I get them, I put a clear filter on them. I do clean the filters however, using whatever is available (windex or other glass cleaner) and a very soft cloth. Filter's are cheap (relatively speaking).

However all this is about to change for me, as I have a 10-17 lens on the way which I can't put a filter on. Maybe some Saran Wrap?
05-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I do clean the filters however, using whatever is available (windex or other glass cleaner) and a very soft cloth.
Using Windex and other window cleaning products will destroy the coating on the glass.
05-06-2008, 01:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I use filters and seldom clean lenses with anything more than a blower. But when that is not enough I use hot breath and clean cotton underwear with almost no pressure.