Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2008, 02:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thear Quote
Using Windex and other window cleaning products will destroy the coating on the glass.
Not if the glass isn't coated. Like I said, I'm not using it on the lenses (or my polarizing filters for that matter), only the cheap clear filter I buy to protect the lens.

05-06-2008, 03:27 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Isopropyl Alcohol

Let me suggest the method that is used in optical factories that is cheap and effective in removing fingerprints and other surface contaminants.

Use a piece of good quality tissue dipped in a little diluted Isopropyl Alcohol. Wipe the lens lightly and all the fingerprints will be gone in seconds!!! You can get isopropyl alcohol from most chemists or pharmacies. It is cheap and it works as the alcohol will evaporate quickly leaving no residue. Works on filters too btw and it does not damage the lens coating. I have used this for years and I know it works perfectly. And it also removes all the grease marks on the rear LCD too.

I find using a lenspen or microfibre isn't that effective because over time the material will have picked up the oily marks but it remains embedded in the material.

I personally avoid sprays used to clean spectacle glasses because the solution has an additive added to prevent the spectacle lens fogging from condensation. Don't know if it will affect the lens coating long term.

Glass cleaner is definitely a big no-no due to the chemicals added. I found very early on that Kodak lens cleaning solution isn't very good and leaves smear marks. The breath and microfibre combo isn't very effective either with oily fingerprints because you're just rubbing it in and not actually removing the mark.
05-07-2008, 04:42 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
I use filters and seldom clean lenses with anything more than a blower.
First step taken : I bought some HOYA digital pro1 UV for my lenses...
05-07-2008, 05:10 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For cleaning lenses, I would have to agree with creampuff.

If you can't use alcohol, just use your breath. I use lens cleaning tissues and a blower, but never a brush. As others have noted, brushes tend to pick up oils, and can also carry things that scratch the elements.

I also, like most, use filters, and therefore the need to clean anything with other than a blower, due to dust when changing filters, is minimal.

For filters I use the same process, but will, on occasion use lens cleaning solution for glasses. This is especially true if I am in a salt environment (sea shore) or there are stubborn marks.

05-12-2008, 07:21 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I forgot about the LensPen - that's a real miracle product IMO, and easy to take along.
05-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not a filter user, but I frequently use a lens pen, and for finger prints and the like (pollen can be sticky too) I use methyl alcohol (methanol). Methanol is the the same as "Eclipse" fluid but much much cheaper. Use it with any microfiber cloth or pad. Works wonders on fingerprints, pollen, etc. I also use it to clean nose smuges from the rear lcd.

NaCl(good stuff methanol)H2O
05-12-2008, 11:00 AM   #22
TKH
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by metalfab Quote
I use a LensPen, one side has a fine brush for the dust, the other end has a felt-type pad for cleaning off smears, spots, etc. that might occur.
We are on the same road.
I never used a filter on my lenses. I dont think thats a good way to receive a very good image quality.

Best,
Rainer

05-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

People are so prissy about cleaning their lenses and filters!
I have never damaged a lens (or mirror for that matter) using conventional lens cleaning fluid.
We used Freon at Olympus; a very good repair person I know (who used to work at Pentax) uses Windex.
Usually I just fog the filter or lens with my breath and clean it with several layers of lens tissue.
My undershirt (Hanes) works just as well in a pinch.

Chris
05-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #24
and
Veteran Member

kodak lens cleaning liquid and lens cleaning paper
05-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Sandblasting and gasoline. Then a thorough wipe with an old dirty smelly sweat sock.

Seriously, here is a good read on Lens cleaning.

It's Lens Cleaning Time - Photo Tips @ Earthbound Light

One might want to have a read on sensor cleaning,

Sensor Cleaning: Where Is That Dust Hiding, and What Do I Do About It? - Photo Tips @ Earthbound Light

05-12-2008, 01:55 PM   #26
Veteran Member

a little personal breath and a microfiber cloth, no problems here.

if i happen to seriously dirty it up with an oily finger print stain, i just grab my dads eye glasses cleaner and use a bit of that.
05-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Breath might contain food for fungus. Or fungus for that matter.
05-12-2008, 02:13 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
about as much as the polluted air of a heavy metropolis, if not less...
05-12-2008, 02:13 PM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
Then eat something fresh before breathing on the lens.
05-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #30
Veteran Member

the way i see it, unless you keep your lens in a sandbox or an old gym bag, you have nothing to worry about.