Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Building a cabinet? That's too much work. I have a better idea. Send them to me and I'll store them for you Free of charge, even! Just the kinda guy I am.

07-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When putting stuff away for extended time, i use the larger sized vacuum bags to protect against the high humidity here in Michigan.
Best to first fill the bag with dry air from air-con room, or outside in the sun.
Here I am putting the scanner away till the next batch of C41
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
07-11-2014, 11:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by miltona580 Quote
I use a Pelican case with silica gel for the infrequently used ones. The frequently used ones are in my camera cases. I have a large case when I need to use one of my longer lenses and a small one that carries usually 16-50, 31, and 43 + camera.
I like your lens selection. I'm hoping to duplicate that real soon. Only one missing is the FA 31.

---------- Post added 07-11-14 at 01:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
When putting stuff away for extended time, i use the larger sized vacuum bags to protect against the high humidity here in Michigan.
Best to first fill the bag with dry air from air-con room, or outside in the sun.
Here I am putting the scanner away till the next batch of C41
Show up with a vacuum packed brick of "stuff" like that in Iowa and you're liable to get 10 to 20 years in the clink
07-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote

Show up with a vacuum packed brick of "stuff" like that in Iowa and you're liable to get 10 to 20 years in the clink
Whereas in Washington you'll be a wholesaler guaranteed an almost obscene profit these days as supply and demand is now controlled by the state.

M

07-11-2014, 10:10 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Boise is a great small city, mighty attractive, excellent location, and the place feels really old--unlike western Washington.

Yep, that's what I love about the Boise area, and Idaho in general. Boise, at a little over 250K, is the capitol and largest city in Idaho. Tallest building in the state is 14 stories, a bank building downtown. The entire state has only 1.5 million residents. I live in Nampa, and at 80K, is the second largest city in the state. I moved here from California about 17 years ago and never looked back. Great family values, very low crime rate, good public services and cultural amenities. I sound like a chamber of commerce hawker, but, what can I say. I've adopted the place and I love it.

I'm not a collector, but as a photographer I need ready access to my lenses and bodies and all the other stuff. I also need to store working prints, catalogs, ancient slides, paperwork etc. About 25 years ago I purchased a locking four level steel lateral file from the Boeing Surplus Store for cheap. Sanded down the rusty spots, sprayed on new paint, and it has served me super well ever since. The thing is about 5.5' tall and 3' wide.

The top three drawers slide out and have a sliding cover which is handy when certain visitors come over. These accommodate my lenses, bodies, and small accessories. The third level handles transparency archives, and the fourth has a rail for old-style files and folders and is long enough for prints.

The whole thing is quite utilitarian, and when covered and locked looks very unsexy, but I like it that way.

M
07-12-2014, 09:24 AM   #21
Veteran Member

My most used zoom is on the camera, in the camera bag, that is taken many places. I also have a DA 40 limited, in its pouch, in the same camera bag. The other lenses, less frequently used, are in individual containers on a shelf in a dry, secure closet. I have not specifically used dessicant, as many have, and I'm thinking that maybe I should. I have only a modest collection of lenses.
07-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
My most used zoom is on the camera, in the camera bag, that is taken many places. I also have a DA 40 limited, in its pouch, in the same camera bag. The other lenses, less frequently used, are in individual containers on a shelf in a dry, secure closet. I have not specifically used dessicant, as many have, and I'm thinking that maybe I should. I have only a modest collection of lenses.
Glenn, I'm pretty much like you in that I have a "most used lens," a Tamron 28-200mm, that is always on my walkabout camera. It covers just about any situation I'd be likely to come across. And because of the success I've had with it, it bolsters my confidence that I'll get the shot I want. It's the equal of most of my lenses and superior to all but a few. An amazing piece of glass that I was fortunate to find at a yard sale for $15.00. The climate here in SW Idaho is such that I don't bother with dessicant. Maybe I should, but the humidity is so low that I don't think it necessary.

As far as a "modest" collection of lenses, mine are numerous, but at the same time, quite modest. I don't own any high dollar lenses, only the ones that fit my budget. I'd venture to say I haven't spent more than $50-$60 for any one of them - most were under $25.00, coming from Craig's List deals, late-night eBay forays and yard sales. But, it has indeed become an obsession of sorts. I've even got duplicates of several, ever hoping that I'll find that "special copy" that outshines the others. It's a sickness, I tell ya'! A sickness!
07-12-2014, 04:26 PM   #23

In a purpose made humidity controlled cabinet.

That's a Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 on the top shelf to give you an idea of the depth

07-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I store my lenses (about 11) in a large LowePro padded bag. This is the lens storage bag, when the equipment is at home.

Each camera body (three Pentax DSLR's) has it's own specific LowePro bag....for one body and with one lens attached. I also have a Canon G 12 with a Canon 430 EX 11 flash that has it's own LowePro bag. All bags are padded.

I have a closet in the house...with the door removed where I have a free standing shelving ( 3 shelves) unit. It's very robust in build. I store all my camera bags on this shelving unit, in the closet. Our kids are in their 20's and have moved out...just my wife and me and we have no large pets that would require a door on the closet.

I also have a large padded bag for my large Sigma 150-500.

I also use soft foam pieces to provide additional padding in each bag's len's/ camera body individual compartment.

I make sure each bagged is zipped up and buckled. There isn't any camera equipment that is not bagged and padded. I don't put them up loose on shelves....what happens if they fall ?

I do all this because about 40 years ago I had loose camera equipment in a car which was hit in an accident. Some damage to camera equipment resulted.

I learned my lesson.
07-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #25
Pentaxian

For storage when not in use, Pelican cases with dessicant packs. I use a different color case for each system, but only have multiple lenses for PK, P6X7, and Nikon. All the rest I only have one or two lenses, so the cases are pretty small.
07-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use one of those aluminum cases with foam inserts. A medium size case like this can fit around ten small to medium size lenses. They come with a lock and key so if you have to leave it and forget it, you can lock up the case and store it somewhere in a closet corner somewhere. Although a thief would probably steal the entire case.