Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2007, 10:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sigma APO lens

Pardon my ignorance, could one of you more knowledgable guys please advise me, Sigma APO lens, is that suitable for digital slr (K10d) or are they less suitable than the DG.
Many thanks

01-28-2007, 01:36 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
APO mostly means that it is apochromatic.

Apochromat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Little bit better lens for a little bit more.
01-28-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Pardon my ignorance, could one of you more knowledgable guys please advise me, Sigma APO lens, is that suitable for digital slr (K10d) or are they less suitable than the DG.
You may find this useful:

Lens Technology - SIGMA CORPORATION

It explains all the shorthands used in Sigma's lens naming system.

One of the advantages of using a digital SLR is that you can use with your digital SLR old lenses that were originally designed for film SLRs. Just because a lens was not made specifically for digital does not mean it won't work or won't take great pictures with your K10D. However, the lens makers are now refining their technology to address specifically digital issues. Sigma's digital lenses are marked DC or DG. Tamron's are marked as Di or Di-II.

Here's a link to a page on Tamron's web site that identifies some of their shorthands:

Tamron Lenses; Award Winning Conventional, Digital Lenses

The Di-II lenses can only be used with certain digital cameras with physically smaller sensors. I know this includes the K100D. I think it includes the K10D too but I don't have a K10D so please confirm this for yourself.

By the way, Tamron has some excellent info on choosing lenses on its web site, here:

Choosing the Right Lens, Tamron USA

Will

Last edited by WMBP; 01-28-2007 at 08:44 AM.
01-28-2007, 08:58 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Many thanks
A Sigma lens with APO is a better quality than a lens without the designation. The DG indicates a lens designed for optimum performance on a DSLR but also will work on a 35mm SLR. The two designations are not exclusive. You can have an APO with or without the DG. For a DSLR the "better" lens in terms of quality images would be an APO DG. Sigma should be awarded a prize for most lens designations.

Best,
Erl

01-28-2007, 11:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Many thanks you have made things a lot clearer for me to make a choice in lenses.