Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2014, 06:50 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I think if you bring it you will regret it. But if you do NOT bring it, you will regret it even MORE ! ! !

héhéhé

07-13-2014, 07:01 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From my experience you are better off with just one lens when it comes to traveling. The Tamrom 28-105 will do you fine although you might need a really fast lens for low light photography. A wider angle lens might also come in handy. What you can also do is purchase yourself one of those Slik Mini-Tripods that way you can take long exposure shots at night. These tripods are not very strong but I'm pretty sure they can handle the weight of your Tamron, plus they fit easily in a bag.

I made the mistake of carrying a bunch of lenses with me on Vacation, only to worry about somebody breaking into my hotel room and swiping my lenses, or worry that the combination safe in my room is not really that safe. Most of the time those extra lenses just stayed in my bag and I never got to use them. The 28-105 practically stayed on my camera. Big lenses have a way of scaring people away and sometimes they have the other effect whereas all sorts of people come up to you and ask you "what type of lens/camera is that ?" In my opinion the smaller the lens the better. If you don't mind changing lenses, 2 good primes might do, but then you have to zoom with your feet which can draw more attention to yourself...
07-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Depending on what you really want to shoot, and how much hiking (read backpack may get heavy).

I'm going to be going to a similar area in < 2 weeks. I'll have my good ol Sigma 18-200mm workhorse and my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 (not sure it'll see any action)

- Cross the border at the Peace Arch (Blaine/White Rock)
- Visit Stanley Park
- Visit Capilano Suspension Bridge
- Visit Tofino (Wickaninnish Inn / Long Beach / Pacific Rim forest)
- Stay in Victoria - Symphony Splash
- Drive through the Rockies to Lake Louise
- Drive to Banff Springs
- Drive over to Spokane - fly home.
07-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Epilogue: Just to tie this up with a bow, we went to the coast for the day on Monday and although I carried my Lowepro Nova 3 camera bag (packed light) the reality is I could've left home with my K-x & 18-55 kit with a Lenspen and Rocket Air all in a holster style camera bag. I never took the kit lens off all day. The one time I could've used the 100-300 zoom I didn't because the picture wasn't that important. I could have changed to my prime lenses on some shots, but to be honest we were moving pretty good through our day and I didn't see the need to hold up my wife & I. After coming home and running the pics through LR4 I came out with some pictures I'm happy with. The day was overcast (as in all grey till about 5 PM), so there were no great scenic pics to be had, but it made for some really nice architecture pics of the buildings at Oysterville and the lighthouses as the colors weren't washed out. We walked off a late dinner around Astoria at dusk and I got some great pics as the neon and other lights were making things interesting.

I come away with this: the 18-55 is a good kick around lens that's got a place in the collection, but I now know for sure I'd prefer a longer walk around lens (as others have mentioned here). I think going to 200mm or even 250mm would not be asking too much for my style in a walk around lens. I also appreciated having 18mm wide option in the kit lens. The Tamron 28-105 would've forced me to compromise on a few shots where I was getting in tight.

Thanks again for the inputs. Attached some pics.

---------- Post added 07-15-14 at 01:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
BTW...while you are near Long Beach, take the time to go to Oysterville. It is quite quaint.

Steve
Steve, thanks for the Oysterville recommendation. Got some good pics and my wife bought some seafood there. Thanks again. Ron S.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
07-15-2014, 02:14 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
- Visit Tofino (Wickaninnish Inn / Long Beach / Pacific Rim forest)
I am sooooo jealous!

Steve

---------- Post added 07-15-14 at 02:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
Steve, thanks for the Oysterville recommendation. Got some good pics and my wife bought some seafood there. Thanks again. Ron S.
My pleasure. Looking at your shots reminds me of the last time I was out there. Only one lens and one camera...Olympus XA/Zuiko 35/2.8 on Kodak Gold 200.

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-15-2014 at 02:25 PM.