Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #1

Couldn't resist the LBA!!!

Okay, so I broke down and ordered a DA* 16-50 to complement my 50-135. I'm worried about getting a good vs bad copy. What is the first thing I should do when I get it? And what should I do if it turns out to be a stinker?

05-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am in a somewhat similar boat- first off think positive For testing take real world shots ! No newspapers at f2.8 . If the real world shots appear to have BF of FF issues do the focusing chart test. Seem pretty reliable by all accounts. If the images look soft well that is another story.

As the internet deals are too good as opposed to retail here - I have plans to pull the plug as well. My plan in the highly unlikely event of a bad copy is to send to a Pentax Authorized Dealer - it may have to go with the camera as well - which since I know do not have two bodies would SUCK.

Anywhat that is my plan today - but still have not pulled the plug as I also debating ltd's instead.
05-06-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I actually think it's better to do newspaper shots. BF or FF does result in soft looking image, and real world test might exaggerate BF/FF since the sensor might focus in something else instead of the subject. The DA* 16-50 does have centering defect issue so a newspaper shot would show that. Since you're in the US. It's better to just get a copy, and if it's bad, send it to Pentax to fix it. It's less hassle than to keep returning and getting another copy.
05-06-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's interesting ... can the lens be fixed on its own? Most I have heard send the body in as well. With us Canadians last time I sent my K10D for a warranty issue it was almost 8 weeks - a ludicrous amount of time.