Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
LOL - I can round up a number of expert witnesses who have used nasty cleaning chemicals for decades. But, to each his own.

Here's another potential lawsuit for you: I do own a lenspen, and I have used the brush end directly on my sensor to flick off a bit of stubborn dust. I never use the carbon doohickey part, though.
Lenspen sells a version for sensors, works ok...

07-15-2014, 04:27 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Repair shops use alcohol-based solvents rougher than ethanol.
As long as we don't use alcohol after every lens change, we should be fine with an occasional alcohol wipe.

Seb
07-15-2014, 08:10 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
So would a quick wipe with glasses fluid cleaner be a stupid thing to do for my lens? My lenspen will be here Thursday hopefully.
07-15-2014, 09:09 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
... (e.g. chocolate, bacon grease, boogers, etc.)...
...and I thought I was the only one getting boogers on my lenses!

I've used lens cleaning fluids too, which are mostly methanol, right? I squirt a little on a microfiber cloth, then wipe away the snot.

07-15-2014, 09:15 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zealex Quote
So would a quick wipe with glasses fluid cleaner be a stupid thing to do for my lens? My lenspen will be here Thursday hopefully.
I would, though YMMV. Just be gentle with no direct pressure and no rubbing and you should be fine. A simple finger print should whisk away on the first try. If not, repeat (gently) until gone.

Steve
07-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #21

Original Poster
Alright hopefully it'll work thanks .
07-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #22
Veteran Member

LOL - I can round up a number of expert witnesses who have used nasty cleaning chemicals for decades. But, to each his own.
Pinesol might be pushing it.
Here's another potential lawsuit for you: I do own a lenspen, and I have used the brush end directly on my sensor to flick off a bit of stubborn dust. I never use the carbon doohickey part, though.
Just don't do what I did and use the carbon part (in this case on their SensorKlean pen) to try and remove a speck from your focusing screen... ugh. Horrible idea. The viewfinder looked like a Dalmatian for weeks, there were so many black spots on it. Finally took it out and blew it off with compressed air, then rinsed it off with distilled water and blew it dry.

I never realized til yesterday that the carbon doohickey refreshes itself every time you put the cap on, that there's a sponge full of carbon particles that the doohickey is plugging itself into.

07-15-2014, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Just don't do what I did and use the carbon part (in this case on their SensorKlean pen) to try and remove a speck from your focusing screen... ugh. Horrible idea. The viewfinder looked like a Dalmatian for weeks, there were so many black spots on it. Finally took it out and blew it off with compressed air, then rinsed it off with distilled water and blew it dry.
I thought I ruined the focusing screen on my Mamiya C330 once - squirted Windex on it (the grooved fresnel side of the ground glass). What a mess! Took several dunkings in distilled water with some forceful swishing to clear all those grooves. I finally got it spotless, only to crack a corner of the glass off while re-installing it in the camera. Since then, I've never bothered to clean focusing screens in any camera other than to blow big specks off with air.
07-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #24

Original Poster
Wow they should call LensPen, MagicPen! Really happy, like the fingerprint wasn't even there
07-17-2014, 01:46 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zealex Quote
Wow they should call LensPen, MagicPen! Really happy, like the fingerprint wasn't even there

Whenever you use it first make sure that there aren't any bits of grit on the lens (they usually hide at the edge) - do a good brush and blow first.
07-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote

Whenever you use it first make sure that there aren't any bits of grit on the lens (they usually hide at the edge) - do a good brush and blow first.
Before I put my lens away I did a very thorough test with my flashlight and at a angle I see tiny scratch marks...great. I brushed, blew, was very delicate using the pen but I guess I ended up scratching my glass. The scratches are very subtle, and are only visible if you really search for them - but they're there and I hope it doesn't degrade IQ