Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-14-2014, 02:21 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Got a finger print on my rear element, best way to remove it?

Hello,

I went to pick up my 35mm 2.4 today and wasn't really paying attention.. The lens cap fell off and my finger landed perfectly on the rear element. I have a nice beautiful fingerprint, and so I took a micro fiber cloth and wiped it now there is just smudge marks in a circular fashion. I tried using my breath and there's still smudge marks. My question is if I buy say the lens pen and use methyl alcohol would it remove the finger print (or rather, the smudged remnants of it?) I'm under the assumption that smears on the rear element are more "serious" than in the front. I feel like a giant idiot for getting my fingerprint there in the first place... Though I supposed there is some hope for my lens.

Thanks you for reading. Sorry for any possible typos, I posted this from my mobile.

07-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Lens pen OK (doesn't need anything to go with it), alcohol no. Lens pen quite good at getting rid of that kind of thing...
07-14-2014, 02:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whatever you use to clean it, make sure it doesn't contain alcohol or ammonia.
07-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ditto regarding, Lens Pen!

07-14-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

How is this :

How to Clean Your Camera Lens | eHow
07-14-2014, 03:08 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick responses.

I will get the lens pen, I assume it's better than microfiber cloth?

Will I be able to ever get the same "quality" I had before? Maybe I'm just dramatic but my rear element was grease free... I just feel the pen or a cloth just wipes that to the side where it isn't as visible but it will be there, reducing a very tiny amount of IQ.

And okay I won't use any chemicals.

---------- Post added 07-14-14 at 06:26 PM ----------

Professional Cleaning Kit for DSLR Cameras (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony) - Includes: Lens Cleaning Pen System + High Quality Lens Brush + Air Blower Cleaner + 50 Sheets Lens Tissue Paper + Handy Empty Spray Bottle + 3 Premium MagicFiber Microfiber Cle
How is that kit?
07-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
You mean like the Windex I use? Actually, I do use window cleaner in conjunction with a soft cotton cloth, but very sparingly and only for gunge that will not blow off (e.g. chocolate, bacon grease, boogers, etc.). I have been known to use a microfiber cloth as an alternative, but am wary because of the potential to carry and grind fine dirt onto the lens. I keep thinking about all the nice sharp silica dust left over from the Mt. St. Helens (visible through my window a few miles to the north) eruptions. The nice thing about the microfiber cloth is that it actively wicks oils into the fabric in much the same way that the carbon tip of the lens pen works. The flip side of the cloth, of course, is that it only works well and safely when nice and clean.

I know...I know...solvents have the potentially to damage the lens coatings or hydrophobic surface treatments. A specialized low-residue detergent may be preferable, but I know what my local camera repair guys use and what my optician gave me to use on my expensive coated eyeglasses

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-14-2014 at 04:31 PM.
07-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You mean like the Windex I use? Actually, I do use window cleaner in conjunction with a soft cotton cloth, but very sparingly and only for gunge that will not blow off (e.g. chocolate, bacon grease, boogers, etc.). I have been known to use a microfiber cloth as an alternative, but am wary because of the potential to carry and grind fine dirt onto the lens. I keep thinking about all the nice sharp silica dust left over from the Mt. St. Helens (visible through my window a few miles to the north) eruptions. The nice thing about the microfiber cloth is that it actively wicks oils into the fabric in much the same way that the carbon tip of the lens pen works. The flip side of the cloth, of course, is that it only works well and safely when nice and clean.

I know...I know...solvents have the potentially to damage the lens coatings or hydrophobic surface treatments. A specialized low-residue detergent may be preferable, but I know what my local camera repair guys use and what my optician gave me to use on my expensive coated eyeglasses

Steve
Windex? I did not know that you could use Windex. Which made me search to see what's in Windex: Windex® Original Glass Cleaner : SC Johnson
See this also. https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/05/the-lensrentals-lens-cleaning-methods

So, what's in the Carl Zeiss camera lens wipes, I wonder: Isopropyl alcohol C₃H₈O and Ethanol C2H6O are the only ingredients.

The more I learn about cleaning lenses, the more paranoid I become!

Last edited by MarkJerling; 07-14-2014 at 04:51 PM.
07-14-2014, 04:47 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zealex Quote
Thanks for the quick responses.

I will get the lens pen, I assume it's better than microfiber cloth?

Will I be able to ever get the same "quality" I had before? Maybe I'm just dramatic but my rear element was grease free... I just feel the pen or a cloth just wipes that to the side where it isn't as visible but it will be there, reducing a very tiny amount of IQ.

And okay I won't use any chemicals.
You are being dramatic, lens pen will take up the grease just fine, your IQ will be fine.
07-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
+1 for the LensPen. The carbon powder absorbs any grease and then you simply brush or blow off the residue. But make sure that you get the real thing

07-14-2014, 06:20 PM   #11

Original Poster
The microfiber cloth leaves some residue...I hope the lens pen works great! I see a bunch of different versions, is the NLP-1 the version I want?
07-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It does work great. I have two, one for home and one in my camera backpack when I'm in the field. Here's one like the two I have:

http://www.amazon.com/LensPEN-Lens-Cleaning-System-Version/dp/B000KO0GY6/ref...ywords=lenspen

And here is what the newer version looks like:

https://www.lenspen.com/?resultType=category&params=9&tpid=0&tpid=323
07-14-2014, 07:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You mean like the Windex I use?
Yeah, people seem to get so paranoid over this stuff. If you saw what 'pro' camera repair shops use, you'd cringe. Lenses and coatings are not so fragile and delicate as that. Sure, soak your lens in ammonia for three days and it might do some damage - but a quick wipe with just about any type of cleaner will do no harm at all.
07-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
a quick wipe with just about any type of cleaner will do no harm at all.
I took your advice and now my camera stinks of pine trees and everything is tinted yellow. You'll be hearing from my lawyer!

In seriousness -- if you get a lens pen, get the filter version, too. Even if you don't keep a UV filter or something on the front of the camera all the time, you'll need to clean filters at some point, and the LensPen doesn't do that great a job on them because it's intended for a curved surface and they're not.
07-14-2014, 07:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
I took your advice and now my camera stinks of pine trees and everything is tinted yellow. You'll be hearing from my lawyer!
LOL - I can round up a number of expert witnesses who have used nasty cleaning chemicals for decades. But, to each his own.

Here's another potential lawsuit for you: I do own a lenspen, and I have used the brush end directly on my sensor to flick off a bit of stubborn dust. I never use the carbon doohickey part, though.