Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-17-2014, 11:21 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The MX is widely considered a Pentax classic. Not to everyone's taste, as it is quite small (in keeping with the M series generally). Brilliant viewfinder, but the meter indicator is ... different. Anyway, if you have any interest in shooting film, this could be a good buy for you. Would depend on the nature of the "refurb" -- a camera this old generally needs new light seals, so if that has been done recently, so much the better.

07-17-2014, 11:44 AM   #32
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
The MX is widely considered a Pentax classic. Not to everyone's taste, as it is quite small (in keeping with the M series generally). Brilliant viewfinder, but the meter indicator is ... different. Anyway, if you have any interest in shooting film, this could be a good buy for you. Would depend on the nature of the "refurb" -- a camera this old generally needs new light seals, so if that has been done recently, so much the better.
I've read the MX comes second only to the very well-regarded LX. But well-cared for MX bodies are selling for around $100-200, and I found the listing for the body, a 1.7 and the 2x converter for less than $100. Trusted seller, too. VERY tempting indeed; I contacted the seller for further details.
07-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The converter is worth very little, but so long as camera and lens are in functionally good condition this sounds like a good deal, even if you need to spend extra for a CLA on the camera. That is, if you think you want to use the camera.
07-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #34
Pentaxian

I see that listing, axelm7. It seems to be in good shape but needs new light seals (you can tell from the pic where the back is open). So if you get it, know that you'll have to get a CLA.

Regarding portrait 50s, the M 50 1.7 is a great one and you can't go wrong with one even at f1.7. Regardless of distance, too - full body (environmental portraits) look as good as closeups.

I'm also very happy with my Rikenon XR 50 1.4, but only at f2, and my K 55 f2 is also perfect at f2.

07-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Have you looked at KEH? I wouldn't hesitate for a minute buying one of these M 50/1.7s here. You might be able to find them cheaper elsewhere, but at least you know you won't get a lemon. (or can return it if you do).
07-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #36
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I see that listing, axelm7. It seems to be in good shape but needs new light seals (you can tell from the pic where the back is open). So if you get it, know that you'll have to get a CLA.

Regarding portrait 50s, the M 50 1.7 is a great one and you can't go wrong with one even at f1.7. Regardless of distance, too - full body (environmental portraits) look as good as closeups.

I'm also very happy with my Rikenon XR 50 1.4, but only at f2, and my K 55 f2 is also perfect at f2.
Yeah, I knew something was bound to come up at that price. What's a CLA? It seems like a good purchase since the rest looks very good, but Pentax isn't sold in Mexico and I'm not sure if I can find someone who can replace those.

Last edited by axelm7; 07-17-2014 at 12:40 PM.
07-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #37
Pentaxian

CLA=Clean, Lubricate, Adjust.

Eric is the most recommended guy to do it: Pentax Repair

His CLA includes changing light seals and minor repairs.

07-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

But axelM7 is in Mexico. I wouldn't trust a camera with Correos de México.
07-17-2014, 12:49 PM   #39
Forum Member

Original Poster

Ah. I'll have to live with light leaks for a while, then. Can't afford sending a package to the US and back, plus the cost of the service.

---------- Post added 07-17-14 at 02:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
But axelM7 is in Mexico. I wouldn't trust a camera with Correos de México.
Exactly. I'd have to use UPS or DHL, which are expensive. I'll probably also end up paying taxes, those guys at customs get greedier every year.
07-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Ah the user didn't have a Location so I didn't know he was in Mexico.

If you're handy with doing minor repairs, I'd say the foam in the back would be very easy to replace. There's some seals on Ebay, I found one for K1000 (that will likely work, you'll have to cut it to size) and one that has a bigger piece of foam and batteries, but you'll have to cut both length and width.

The bigger problem is the foam in the mirror box, because with time your mirror might get stuck in the foam particles, and they might also get your mirror all dirty. And you'd have to open up the camera to replace the foam. Which is probably not that big a deal, but will take a bit of time and effort.
07-17-2014, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by axelm7 Quote
I'm debating on whether to get an SMC 50mm 1.7 with an MX body attached
Get the MX...you know you want it...<evil laugh>

Steve

---------- Post added 07-17-14 at 03:14 PM ----------

I'll have to live with light leaks for a while
I think Jon Goodman might be able to send you one of his most excellent light seal kits (includes mirror bumper) via the U.S. Postal Service ($10 USD via PayPal). His product is top-notch and Jon is truly one of the best people to do business with in the photography world.

Make your inquiry to: JGood21967@aol.com

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-17-2014 at 03:15 PM.
07-17-2014, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #42
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
the few I've managed to find go for more than $200
Aye right enough I was $250 approx. for mine.
07-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #43
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Get the MX...you know you want it...<evil laugh>

Steve

---------- Post added 07-17-14 at 03:14 PM ----------

I think Jon Goodman might be able to send you one of his most excellent light seal kits (includes mirror bumper) via the U.S. Postal Service ($10 USD via PayPal). His product is top-notch and Jon is truly one of the best people to do business with in the photography world.

Make your inquiry to: JGood21967@aol.com

Steve
I'm gonna have to pick one of those up next time I visit the States. For now I have a great starter kit for DSLR and 35mm film photography for around $100. This is why I love Pentax!
07-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm gonna have to pick one of those up next time I visit the States. For now I have a great starter kit for DSLR and 35mm film photography for around $100. This is why I love Pentax!
Jon does not have a store. He is in Texas and if your trip north goes near his place, he may let you pick up a kit.

I would caution against cycling the shutter on the MX until you assess the state of the mirror bumper foam. Touch it gently with a toothpick. If it is crumbly, hard, or sticky it needs to be replaced. If crumbly, it will scatter chunks of grunge into the innards of the camera on every cycle of the mirror. If sticky, it (the mirror) may fling clumps of goo onto the focusing screen from which said goo will be very difficult to remove.

Steve
07-17-2014, 05:24 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Today's report from local used section at major Charlotte, NC USA Canikon dealer had an F series 50mm 1.4 and a MX as well plus multiple k1000's for the up coming school year. They'll come down on price.