Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Older K Mount lens: Will they Autofocus?

I have a K-X and I know that older Pentax lenses will mount to the body. However, will the K-X's auto-focus system work with older lenses? If there is an age limit, what is the general date where the K-X's will no longer auto-focus the lens?

Thank You.

07-16-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If a Pentax-brand lens does not say F, FA, or DA on the front, it is a manual focus lens. Similarly, most 3rd-party AF lenses are prominently labeled as such. Proof positive is the presence/lack of the AF drive fitting an/or the AF contacts on the mount.

When using manual focus, you still have the option of focus confirmation. The AF system will signal when it has determined that focus has been attained. Focus confirmation is limited to the center spot focus sensor.

Steve
07-16-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by dmfw Quote
I have a K-X and I know that older Pentax lenses will mount to the body. However, will the K-X's auto-focus system work with older lenses? If there is an age limit, what is the general date where the K-X's will no longer auto-focus the lens?

Thank You.
All AF Pentax lenses (with the exception of the M-era AF 35-70mm F2.8) are fully supported by the K-x, so you don't have to worry about compatibility.

AF lenses include the F, FA, FA J, D FA, DA L and DA series.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No. Only the F, FA and DA lenses have the capacity to autofocus. Older lenses (M, K and the M42 glass) have to be manually focused (as we all had to in the old days). It is not much of an issue in many situations and gets you relatively inexpensive access to some great lenses. There is a good article here by Adam on "How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-5, K-r, K-x, K-7...)".

07-16-2014, 03:42 PM   #5
Forum Member

Unless you have a Pentax auto-focus adaptor, in which case the manuals will autofocus (well strictly the adaptor focusses it).

AFA Review
07-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveUK Quote
Unless you have a Pentax auto-focus adaptor, in which case the manuals will autofocus (well strictly the adaptor focusses it).

AFA Review
Now if only Pentax would start selling that sort of stuff again...(DA AFA 1.2x would be nice, haha)
07-16-2014, 06:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
When using manual focus, you still have the option of focus confirmation. The AF system will signal when it has determined that focus has been attained. Focus confirmation is limited to the center spot focus sensor.

Steve
Steve is correct of course, but I see "Catch in Focus" as a tool that allows me to cheat a bit. You set it, press the release and focus until the picture is taken. Just thought I'd add that as it wasn't mentioned earlier.

07-16-2014, 09:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The perfect new optical offering from Pentax would be a 0.65x autofocus adapter, so you could use your M 28/2.8 as an autofocusing 28mm lens on a K-5 or K-3.
07-17-2014, 12:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
The perfect new optical offering from Pentax would be a 0.65x autofocus adapter, so you could use your M 28/2.8 as an autofocusing 28mm lens on a K-5 or K-3.
A full frame adapter! Thats ingenious!

Seb