Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2014, 08:48 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
DA 55-300 WR & Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 Perhaps?!

While constantly fantasizing about both the DA 55-300mm WR and the various (but mainly Sigma)70-200mm f/2.8s I can't help but realize I'd shot very few animals. So to at least see which hindered me the most in that area(lack of reach or speed) I took myself, the K-3 & my trusty DA 50-200 WR to the zoo today to find out. This is what I learned:

I could use both more reach and more speed, but I think more speed would be a bit more useful for me.
While shooting animals in their outdoor enclosures left me wanting to get "just a little bit closer" more than a few times, trying to shot animals in indoor spaces was downright infuriating at times. A lot of times at f/4 AF just simply would not lock on the subject and I still had a time with MF. Taking way too much time to move along with a swarm of children. For now I'll just keep shooting and in the future I plan to focus on only two or three animal species a trip, to get better compositions. I may even try fast prime lenses indoors on the next trip.

I know I was only using a kit lens but, f/4 is f/4 no matter what lens right?

I know I'm not a great photographer and still my PP is worse, but these are a few photos I can live with.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
07-16-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Trudger1272 Quote
I know I was only using a kit lens but, f/4 is f/4 no matter what lens right?
This is true, but you may have missed the point of faster lenses. Lenses focus wide open and only stop down when the image is taken. So a f/2.8 lens will focus much better in lower light than a f/4 lens even if they are both set at f/4. Sorry if you already knew that.
07-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Sorry if you already knew that.
Thanks, I didn't know. Still. Never worry about that with me. I'm always all ears, as I want to learn and if I do know it doesn't hurt to be reminded.
07-16-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Look and see if the 70-200 would give sharper pics cropped than the 55-300 would. If you can get better by cropping the long end of the fast lens the. That's how I would go, otherwise I'd do the 55-300.

07-16-2014, 11:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got a Sigma EX DG 70-200 f/2.8 HSM II and a non WR da55-300. Since I bought the Sigma, 6 months ago, I don't think I've used the 55-300.

The Sigma is my most used lens at present but it has some drawbacks. It's massive, really big and heavy. On my K5 it over exposes by about one stop and in case I forgot to mention, it's massive.

It is in a different league to the Pentax lens in terms of build quality and the AF is like lightening and silent but it cost about 3 times as much as the da

The 55-300 gives great results but you are restricted to f5.8 @ 300mm. So would a crop from the Sigma at f5.8 @ 200 give better results? Personally I think it does.

For longer reach I'm lucky enough to have the da* 300. Now that's from a different planet
07-17-2014, 02:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are TWO tele zooms in this range on the lens road map, scheduled for 2014 (or later). If you're not in any hurry, you may wish to just struggle on with your existing kit and wait and see what the Ricoh/Pentax elves release. It's practically certain that they will be weather resistant.
07-17-2014, 01:01 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Look and see if the 70-200 would give sharper pics cropped than the 55-300 would. If you can get better by cropping the long end of the fast lens the. That's how I would go, otherwise I'd do the 55-300.
This sounds fair enough. Definitely a way to save.

QuoteOriginally posted by JimD Quote
It's massive, really big and heavy.
I haven't experienced massive yet and for me I wonder if the fact that it has internal zooming will outweigh it's size & weight. Because to me a lens that doesn't extend would suggest a sturdier build. But I haven't experienced that either, so that's just my theory. I do worry when the zooms I have are extended. I'm always scared of bumping them on something in that state.

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
There are TWO tele zooms in this range on the lens road map, scheduled for 2014 (or later). If you're not in any hurry, you may wish to just struggle on with your existing kit and wait and see what the Ricoh/Pentax elves release. It's practically certain that they will be weather resistant.
Thanks, I keep forgetting about the road map but I'm in no hurry, especially since I have to save up first.

07-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Trudger1272 Quote
I haven't experienced massive yet and for me I wonder if the fact that it has internal zooming will outweigh it's size & weight. Because to me a lens that doesn't extend would suggest a sturdier build. But I haven't experienced that either, so that's just my theory. I do worry when the zooms I have are extended. I'm always scared of bumping them on something in that state.
The 70-200 is hardly massive when compared to the Bigma or lil'Bigma. Especially at 500mm with the zoom fully extended. Plus, they weigh half a kilogram more.

I have had the DA L 55-300 for 4 years. Even with an all plastic construction, and my not very gentle handling, it has functioned perfectly. No zoom creep at all...Can't say the same for the lil'Bigma. Zoom creep set in after a few weeks. At least it has a zoom lock at 150mm.
07-17-2014, 11:25 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The 70-200 is hardly massive when compared to the Bigma or lil'Bigma. Especially at 500mm with the zoom fully extended. Plus, they weigh half a kilogram more.

A bit of a pointless statement. The OP was asking about a 200mm and you introduce a 500mm for comparison

The Pentax 560mm is even bigger and heavier, but again totally irrelevant to the original enquiry