Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2014, 11:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

SMC Pentax-M 100mm F4 Macro lens

Hi,
Would like to ask, does this Macro Lens will perfectly to shoot portrait photo? Plan to get it, but not sure about the Macro lens.

07-16-2014, 11:45 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scomatic Quote
Hi,
Would like to ask, does this Macro Lens will perfectly to shoot portrait photo? Plan to get it, but not sure about the Macro lens.
At F4 you might not be getting as much bokeh as you'd like. Perhaps consider this lens:

Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical Lens for Pentax 85M-P B&H Photo

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-16-2014, 11:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
At F4 you might not be getting as much bokeh as you'd like. Perhaps consider this lens:

Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 Aspherical Lens for Pentax 85M-P B&H Photo

Thanks for advise. But i only affordable cheap price len. Any lens would u suggest, if my budget below 80 USD? Looking prime lens for around 100mm.
07-17-2014, 12:29 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
for portrait only you can get the M 50/1.7 for the same price I think.
But if you want a dual purpose, (portrait/macro) lens, then It's fine, and can do it.

One of my first shots with this lens, in a busy tourist spot, you have to stand really far to get wide framing like this.

07-17-2014, 12:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's a very good lens for that price. But for that price you get a F35-70 (with AF) or a M50/1.4 with better bokeh.

Seb
07-17-2014, 01:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hi,
I do have an SMC Pentax M 50mm F1.4, therefore I'm thinking getting a bit telephoto lens around 100mm.
07-17-2014, 02:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
OK. If its in good condition go for it. I like my M100/4 macro and I shoot all kinds with it except portraits.

Seb

07-17-2014, 02:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
OK. If its in good condition go for it. I like my M100/4 macro and I shoot all kinds with it except portraits.

Seb
thanks
07-17-2014, 02:53 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Too Sharp?

Hello scomatic, welcome to the Forum!
I'd say that if you want a lens primarily for portraits, get one. Not a macro lens that doubles as a short tele; macros and teles are built for somewhat different uses and can overlap. But rarely do they serve both needs equally well.
For older legacy glass, generally below $100 USD, you could find a smc M 135mm f/3.5. While it's a bit long for general use, this small gem has decent-to-good bokeh, beautiful rendering and colors, and fine skin tones.
For a wider viewpoint, any M or A-series smc fifty f/1.4 or f/1.7 is great and inexpensive. Stay below f/2.8 and the bokeh positively glows, they have very smooth skin tones and soft colors. Remember, on APS-C, this is like a 75mm, nearly perfect portrait range.
The F-series 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 zoom is another inexpensive option, as bassek mentioned. At 60mm and f/4.5, the backround rendering is good, but gets jittery and nervous stopped down. I've also found the 70mm end is a bit soft, staying slightly below it works better in non-macro mode.
I personally like the bokeh, rendering and overall portrait 'look' from a couple of older legacy lenses better than any I've listed; But they're both considerably out of your price range. The M-series 85mm f/2.0 and M or A-series 100mm f/2.8. For under $300 USD, they'd be my choices.
Once you reach $300, you might as well go for the Vivitar, Rokinon, Samyang 85mm f/1.4 Adam mentioned. From the posted images I've seen, it's a fine-rendering lens, perfect length, manual-focusing and auto-everything else, super-fast too.
Next, a used DA 70mm Ltd, about $400 or so.
Just more ideas for you, good luck!
Ron
07-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello scomatic, welcome to the Forum!
I'd say that if you want a lens primarily for portraits, get one. Not a macro lens that doubles as a short tele; macros and teles are built for somewhat different uses and can overlap. But rarely do they serve both needs equally well.
For older legacy glass, generally below $100 USD, you could find a smc M 135mm f/3.5. While it's a bit long for general use, this small gem has decent-to-good bokeh, beautiful rendering and colors, and fine skin tones.
For a wider viewpoint, any M or A-series smc fifty f/1.4 or f/1.7 is great and inexpensive. Stay below f/2.8 and the bokeh positively glows, they have very smooth skin tones and soft colors. Remember, on APS-C, this is like a 75mm, nearly perfect portrait range.
The F-series 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5 zoom is another inexpensive option, as bassek mentioned. At 60mm and f/4.5, the backround rendering is good, but gets jittery and nervous stopped down. I've also found the 70mm end is a bit soft, staying slightly below it works better in non-macro mode.
I personally like the bokeh, rendering and overall portrait 'look' from a couple of older legacy lenses better than any I've listed; But they're both considerably out of your price range. The M-series 85mm f/2.0 and M or A-series 100mm f/2.8. For under $300 USD, they'd be my choices.
Once you reach $300, you might as well go for the Vivitar, Rokinon, Samyang 85mm f/1.4 Adam mentioned. From the posted images I've seen, it's a fine-rendering lens, perfect length, manual-focusing and auto-everything else, super-fast too.
Next, a used DA 70mm Ltd, about $400 or so.
Just more ideas for you, good luck!
Ron
Thanks for such awesome ideas and suggestion. I just found a SMC Super-Takumar 135mm F3.5 is still under my budget, but not sure it's good or not?
07-17-2014, 08:33 PM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scomatic Quote
Hi,
It is a little harder to find, but I would suggest a Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 105mm f/2.8. It is very compact and renders portraits beautifully. It is a probably my favorite Takumar.

I also have the Pentax-M 100mm f/4 which is a very nice lens (especially for that price). It could get frustrating with the long focus throw and small aperture.

If you are going for a 135mm, look for the 6-element S-M-C Takumar 135mm f/2.5. This is my favorite 135 (most 135's are nice though), but it is a little big heavy.
07-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
wow... thanks for such awesome information.