Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2014, 11:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
WR Lenses Harder To Mount/Dismount?

I got the 50-200mm today. It's my first WR lens, and I noticed it was a lot harder to mount and dismount than my regular lenses. I'm figuring that's because of the WR sealing? I wanted to ask and be sure that was normal before I kept it. Otherwise the AF on the lens seems a bit slow to me. It's definitely not the greatest lens for low light, but otherwise it's working okay. I'm still taking some test shots and that. Tomorrow I'll take it out for a bit, see how it does outside...

07-18-2014, 12:00 AM   #2
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I have noticed that some lenses offer more resistance than others but that seems to be independent of they being WR or not. I have assumed it to be sample variation or that some production runs have been set up with slightly different tolerances.

And the 50-200 is a decent lens, small, compact - and WR
07-18-2014, 12:05 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I got the 50-200mm today. It's my first WR lens, and I noticed it was a lot harder to mount and dismount than my regular lenses. I'm figuring that's because of the WR sealing? I wanted to ask and be sure that was normal before I kept it. Otherwise the AF on the lens seems a bit slow to me. It's definitely not the greatest lens for low light, but otherwise it's working okay. I'm still taking some test shots and that. Tomorrow I'll take it out for a bit, see how it does outside...
Yes, there's a considerable amount of additional friction due to the gasket. Perfectly normal though

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-18-2014, 01:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thought it was likely, but it's nice to know that's normal, thanks guys!

07-18-2014, 05:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Especially if its a brand new lens, or if you compare it to lenses with plastic mounts.
And I find that with my DA L 50-200mm, a circular polarizer makes the photos much more useable
07-18-2014, 05:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remember to keep the gaskets and mounts clean.