Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
3 weeks, 2 lenses, 1 decision...

Thanks to the nice people at Cameralensrental, I should be receiving a shipment tomorrow. I am renting the Pentax FA 43mm limited and the Pentax DA 35mm limited to do a trial comparison. I hope to choose one in the end. I know several others have wanted to know how the two compare. I will be trying to compare for myself just how the FOV varies and how well I like the 35mm macro v. close focus of the 43mm. I also want to see if the difference in speed will be of any practical concern for me (indoor shots, natural light). Of course, I likes me the Bokeh! So, I have to try some portraits to compare.

If anyone is interested in providing any guidance or suggestions with respect to evaluating the two, please feel free to let me know.

I will try to post images on my dot mac site.

Cheers,

05-07-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

it will be interesting to see the results of your comparison. imo, i think the extra speed is always handy but so is width, particularly indoors.
i think the best result is a tie so that you'll keep both lenses

Last edited by k100d; 05-07-2008 at 10:09 AM.
05-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
MSM, thanks for mentioning cameralensrentals. I checked out their site and I'm already planning on renting a couple of lenses from them!
05-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Frogroast: I am glad to help. I must say that I have been impressed with the service, thus far. Ilene has been very helpful. I received both lenses today in a Pelican case.

Mark

05-07-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Test shots

My initial impression is that both the 43 mm and the 35 mm macro ltd. are first rate in build. Also, both are quite small and light. I knew that going in, but seeing first hand it still is amazing. As others have said the 35's built in hood is a nice feature v. the screw on hood of the 43 mm.

I guess I show my lack of experience with this next comment. I have found the 35 mm macro feature a bit difficult. To get a true 1:1 you really have to be touching the subject. I've realized that I probably would use no greater than 1:2.5-3 on any regular basis. The 43 mm has a nice close up range, though.

I will try to get some shots up on my website tonight. Disclaimer: these are just random shots (but the best I can do )
05-07-2008, 08:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
I guess I show my lack of experience with this next comment. I have found the 35 mm macro feature a bit difficult. To get a true 1:1 you really have to be touching the subject. I've realized that I probably would use no greater than 1:2.5-3 on any regular basis. The 43 mm has a nice close up range, though.
the DA35 is a very unique lens in that it's a more of an excellent "all around" lens with macro capability that let's you get close up when you need it. another advantage of the short focal length macro is that it's easier to handhold.

straight from the President of Pentax Imaging USA, he has samples up on his blog (NED BUNNELL) Pt 2 - No Pentax film SLR prior to Pentax DLSR: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I take it from your comments this lens doesn't float your boat - and that's fine.
Rather than think of this lens as a dedicated "macro" lens, I tend to think this lens serves a really nice niche as a great everyday, "walk-around" lens that also offers you very good close-up capability.
If you're doing serious "macro" photography, this is probably not the best lens for that application. However, if you're travelling light, it's a great option.
Ned
05-07-2008, 08:29 PM   #7
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've attached a few pics below from the 35 mm.
Attachment 11940
Attachment 11941
Attachment 11942

and a couple from the 43 mm
Attachment 11943
Attachment 11944
I have updated my gallery for those interested. Any comments welcome.

.Mac Web Gallery

Last edited by MSM; 06-13-2010 at 08:56 PM.
05-07-2008, 08:37 PM   #8
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
the DA35 is a very unique lens in that it's a more of an excellent "all around" lens with macro capability that let's you get close up when you need it. another advantage of the short focal length macro is that it's easier to handhold.

straight from the President of Pentax Imaging USA, he has samples up on his blog (NED BUNNELL) Pt 2 - No Pentax film SLR prior to Pentax DLSR: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I take it from your comments this lens doesn't float your boat - and that's fine.
Rather than think of this lens as a dedicated "macro" lens, I tend to think this lens serves a really nice niche as a great everyday, "walk-around" lens that also offers you very good close-up capability.
If you're doing serious "macro" photography, this is probably not the best lens for that application. However, if you're travelling light, it's a great option.
Ned
k100d: I agree. I certainly haven't ruled anything out yet. I agree with your remarks about the close up feature vs. a dedicated 'Macro.' Your point about a 'walk-around' is what this is all about for me. I know that I can get a zoom that will be great for the task. But, I really want a prime to make me work harder for a better shot, angle, perspective, etc. I love the limiteds! In fact, there may be no limit to the love I have for the limiteds.

This is just day one of 21 to decide....

Cheers,