Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2008, 07:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am now part of the FA77 club.

I think it's traditional to celebrate the arrival of a limited lens with a post. Though it's been in my sig in anticipation, only today did I receive an FA 77, from Evolution here on the forum. I am well used to my FA 43 so I knew what to expect in terms of the brilliant workmanship and handy size.

Only one thing took me aback. I love the screw-on hood and felt-lined cap on my 43mm. At first glance the 77mm is the same, but the hood is collapsible rather than screwed. This means that pushing the cap on pushes down the hood. This would not be too big of a deal except when there's a filter on the lens. The cap needs a certain depth of hood to get a proper grip. With a filter on there is not enough of this, so the cap is prone to fall off. I wonder why they changed the design from the 43mm?

At least now I know what everyone in the review forum is on about!

I think I am going to like using a 77mm. The minimum focal distance seems more convenient for the focal length than on the FA 43.

I didn't have a chance to set up any fancy shots. Here are two about town before my batteries died. (Shot all weekend and forgot to change them!) These are not straight from the camera but rather use my usual post-processing work-flow, which includes exposure compensation, sharpening and colour balance.

05-06-2008, 07:51 PM   #2

congrats on the 77.
only a matter of time til the 31
05-06-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

hey robin, welcome to the club, i was only initiated yesterday.
i took some quick pics in the house and man it seemed the lens was very sharp (like your photos), i was quite impressed. the autofocus is quite slow because of the distance between minimum and infinity but not unbearable.
05-06-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Congrats, Robin!

Start taking some portraits and shots that show off the bokeh, and you'll really see why this lens is magic.

Enjoy.

05-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That lens is a joy to use. Wonderful contrast and overall IQ. You would not be able to do such job in the first shot if using other lenses.
05-06-2008, 09:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Congrats on the new lens. Do a couple of portraits and you'll know why it is special.
On the lens hood thing, I use a plastic clip on lens cap because the slip on metal lens cap is too precious to lose.
05-06-2008, 10:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
This means that pushing the cap on pushes down the hood. This would not be too big of a deal except when there's a filter on the lens. The cap needs a certain depth of hood to get a proper grip. With a filter on there is not enough of this, so the cap is prone to fall off.
Not really a problem as:
(a) I'd make sure the cap is full-depth on before pushing back the hood.
(b) As written earlier I prefer using a pinch cap on a filter rim; pinch cap is thinner sits easier in my pockets during shoot.

In any case, congrats with your new lens

05-07-2008, 03:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
As written earlier I prefer using a pinch cap on a filter rim.
I've got an extra one but I think it says Canon on it. Putting that on a limited would be unsettling somehow.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
That lens is a joy to use. Wonderful contrast and overall IQ. You would not be able to do such job in the first shot if using other lenses.
Hmmm... well, I don't know. The rendering is similar to the 43mm so far, as one might expect. As to the wall shot, I could perhaps have done better with my 16-45mm since it has such great edge-to-edge sharpness. But somehow I think the more primes I have the less I'm likely to ever use a zoom... even a good one. With my Crumpler bag I can have the zoom handy, but if I'm just out with my small bag I can carry the body and a smallish lens only.

QuoteOriginally posted by ricosuave Quote
only a matter of time til the 31
I am more tempted by the DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro for its close focus, 1.0x magnification, lighter weight, smaller size and equally incredible IQ. Unfortunately it's over a stop slower but does make up for that by being more affordable!

And then there's the 15mm limited... I cannot wait for that one!
05-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have just join this club as well but mine come with backfocus.. I acturally need to add 120um to the focus in order for it to be spot on. ( Don't have time to sent it back, got to use it that night for a friend's wedding dinner) but man.. the color, sharpness. and bokeh.. it is just great~
05-27-2008, 01:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I haven't fully decided on where this lens sits with me, because when I'm out walking I prefer the 100mm macro. I have done two stage show shoots and one studio portrait sit with it, so it certainly has its niche!
05-27-2008, 02:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It was designed with portrait work in mind, and that's what it is good at.
05-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
I have just join this club as well but mine come with backfocus.. I acturally need to add 120um to the focus in order for it to be spot on. ( Don't have time to sent it back, got to use it that night for a friend's wedding dinner) but man.. the color, sharpness. and bokeh.. it is just great~
congrats vizjerei, too bad about the backfocus ... how did it turn out for your wedding photos?
i find my FA77 to be very sharp w/ creamy bokeh. is yours a black or silver model?

Last edited by k100d; 05-27-2008 at 06:14 PM.
05-27-2008, 07:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Mine is Silver, want something different than my other lens the wedding photos turn out great, 77ltd really great for portrait , very sharp at wide open with creamy bokeh, and AF in those low light indoor is quite fast too.

Here are the photos, actually I think most of them are at f1.8 with iso 400 because of the indoor light:
Victor Lam's Photos - Flossie & Tony's Wedding | Facebook

rparmar: Don't you feel 100mm marco take time to focus? just because it has longer focus range. You were using MF?

Last edited by vizjerei; 05-27-2008 at 07:31 PM.
05-27-2008, 08:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
Don't you feel 100mm marco take time to focus? just because it has longer focus range. You were using MF?
Well, the more I shoot the more I prefer manual focus. Even though I'm really bad at it. I set my FA77 to MF in cases where I want ultimate control.

For a walk-around lens I just find the Cosina 100mm to be a lot more useful. It reaches a bit further to stuff not near me, and close focuses right down for macro shots. It's about the same size and weight. And I love the bokeh it produces.

But it is two stops slower, so the FA77 wins out when I know I'll be indoors. This is why we need lots of lenses.
05-27-2008, 08:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Me too, I set my 100 marco to MF when I have it as walk around, usually when I go to a park. I can't stand it going back and forth searching focus with those focusing noise, while I want to enjoy some of the peaceful time outdoor with nature