Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA*300 wont focus

Hello everyone. I have a bizarre question. When I go to manually focus my lens the focus ring just keeps on spinning either direction. It wont stop. Also on top of the lens it says itvis focused to infinity. Should that change when I'm focusing the lens? I do have the camera and lens on manual focus. Thanks Jim

07-19-2014, 05:01 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The spinning is normal since that's how modern lenses are designed. However, the distance scale should always correspond to the current focus setting. If it doesn't, something's wrong.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-19-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is not unusual for lenses to focus slightly past infinity. Even when shooting the moon, I have to focus my DA*300 back a little from its farthest setting.
And yes, all the DA* lenses have no hard stop for the focus ring at either infinity or minimum focal distance.
07-19-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Hello everyone. I have a bizarre question. When I go to manually focus my lens the focus ring just keeps on spinning either direction. It wont stop. Also on top of the lens it says itvis focused to infinity. Should that change when I'm focusing the lens? I do have the camera and lens on manual focus. Thanks Jim
I think that's because of the QuickShift clutch

07-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Where is that at maxxxx? I have the lens set on manual focus. Is there something else I need to look at?

Thank you
Jim
07-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you saying that the distance scale does not move when you turn the focus ring in either direction? If so, you *do* have a problem.
Can it focus on anything? Does the AF work?
07-19-2014, 06:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You are correct Sandy, the distance scale does not move and no the auto focus isn't working either. This is on my K5II

Yet if I put it on my older K5 it does auto focus. But before we say it is the camera. Both my Sigma 50-500 and Sigma 80-200 f/2.8 works fine on both the K5 and K5II.
The mysteries of life. :-)

07-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Not to insult you or anything, but did you make sure you didn't bump the MF/AF lever?

Does the focus indicator move when you spin the focus ring the other way?
07-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Where is that at maxxxx? I have the lens set on manual focus. Is there something else I need to look at?

Thank you
Jim
Sorry, I didn't understand that the distance scale doesn't move either way. On my pentax leneses with quick shift I still can rotate the focusing ring even when infinity or min distance has been reached. My Sigmas have hard stops on the other hand. But on the Pentax lenses the distance scale will move once you rotate the other direction.
07-20-2014, 07:45 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try rotating your focus ring back and forth one-half turn 20 to 30 times quickly and watch to see if the distance scale starts to move, repeat until the distance scale moves fully. my DA 16-50 does the same thing when left out in the Sun too long, this seems to cure the problem. The quick shift clutch has probably caused a lot of SDM motor replacements for no reason.
07-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well you all are going to think I'm wacked out, but really I'm not. I have been at the race track this entire weekend. Saturday the DA*300 wouldn't focus manually or automatically. This morning I put it on the camera and tried it.........it is working perfectly. Only had a misfire once in a while. And since I am photography Motorcycle Roadracing I can't blame that on the lens. And the distance scales is moving like normal also. I might try to get through till September (end of race season) with it and then send it in to get checked out and cleaned. Since I have had if for about 4-5 years and have never had it checked out or cleaned.

Thanks for all the input. It's just one of those bizarre things I guess.

Thanks
Jim