Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2008, 09:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

FA 31 Quick Samples

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
Not to be crass, but do all LBA posts consist only of pictures of boxes and lenses? I always expect a 'first shot' type post to see a subject of interest, and am frequently disappointed when I don't see any...oh well.
d.bradley posted this in the other Limited posting and i thought he had a point. so here are some pix.

please note i have some shakey hands, so pictures could have come out a tad sharper. as well the resizing and jpeg has taken a large bite out of the sharpness as well. photos taken mostly around f2.2 or so, sorry the EXIFs got lost

some quick notes on the FA31
i. incredibly well built and solid
ii. that push cap needs to be replaced
iii. sharp and contrasty
iv. bokeh is so sweet with smooth transition

compared to the FA35 (only from my brief impressions)
i. brighter (maybe FA35 was slightly underexposing)
ii. of course much better built
iii. more contrast

i think the FA31 seems noticeably better than the FA35 that I had.
2.5x the price better? probably not, but all the hype is not unfounded.

Last edited by k100d; 05-12-2008 at 07:14 PM.
05-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
100s.....................

Last edited by k100d; 05-12-2008 at 07:14 PM.
05-07-2008, 12:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You are right about LBA thread just focusing on a series of fragmented scenes of opening a box with a lens inside it.

However, that is just a tradition. A tradition for some of the pentax users in the community.

While aggreeing with your words regarding Fa 35 vs Fa 31 ltd, it is sometimes quite subtle the discern the difference between the two. Lighting, subjects and focusing distance sometimes contribute to the differences of the images taken by these lenses.

Great series of shots btw. Maybe you can lead a new style of LBA posts
05-07-2008, 04:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you want to check out some nice FA31 images.
Look up SFT on this forum ... Sinan took some amazing night street scenes in Turkey (I think it was) ... the colour rendition was awesome.

05-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I had both lenses openly duke it out (DA35, FA31) and for me the FA31 was the winner when it came down to it for all the same reasons you've mentioned here K100d. If price is a concern, the differences weren't crazy, but once you have the FA... there was no point to the 35 unless you specifically wanted the 1:1 action. You've made me hungry now, I'm going to eat!
05-07-2008, 01:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
I had both lenses openly duke it out (DA35, FA31) and for me the FA31 was the winner when it came down to it for all the same reasons you've mentioned here K100d. If price is a concern, the differences weren't crazy, but once you have the FA... there was no point to the 35 unless you specifically wanted the 1:1 action. You've made me hungry now, I'm going to eat!
the difference in price right now is double the price based upon Prodigital2000 prices, so i can imagine it can be hard for a lot of people to take. and especially with the DA* 30 coming around soon too. i prefer the speed and based upon your tests and just shooting around i think it was a good choice. and when FF rolls around the FA31 will be a gem

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
If you want to check out some nice FA31 images.
Look up SFT on this forum ... Sinan took some amazing night street scenes in Turkey (I think it was) ... the colour rendition was awesome.
thanks, i looked it up before but couldn't find it. this time i found his Zenfolio site, very nice photos.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
You are right about LBA thread just focusing on a series of fragmented scenes of opening a box with a lens inside it.

However, that is just a tradition. A tradition for some of the pentax users in the community.

While aggreeing with your words regarding Fa 35 vs Fa 31 ltd, it is sometimes quite subtle the discern the difference between the two. Lighting, subjects and focusing distance sometimes contribute to the differences of the images taken by these lenses.

Great series of shots btw. Maybe you can lead a new style of LBA posts
thanks for the compliments James. i'm worried that i'm tricking myself into thinking that there are very significant differences. but even if they're not, i ENJOY using the lens much more (because it's very well built) which i think is even more important.