Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2014, 05:11 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
DA*16-50 won't zoom all the way

My DA*16-50 won't zoom all the way out - it locks at about 19 on the lens, the exif shows 21. So it's effectively operating at 21-50, pictures seem fine otherwise. I've had it stick before at various points, but it always worked itself out. It's been stuck here, though, for a while with no variation or improvement.

Is there an easy fix for this or do I need to have the lens serviced?

07-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not the first time I've read it and as far as I know it has to get serviced.
07-20-2014, 05:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Of two lenses I've had to have this repair done eight times! The DA* 16-50mm lens is a piece of crap!

Sadly, definitely needs to be serviced.

As long as CRIS has the parts in stock, their repairs can be quite speedy.
If they have to get parts shipped from Pentax/Ricoh in Japan, expect at least two months, most likely more. Some people have had their stuff in for repair on back order more than four or five months.

Sadly again, backorder of part seems to be the norm with CRIS.... (the one and only true Pentax/Ricoh repair center for the US)
07-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing the experience.

Ideas on cost to repair? I checked the Pentax/Ricoh website - it has to go to Arizona?

and P.S. What's CRIS?

Last edited by applejax; 07-20-2014 at 05:47 PM.
07-20-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by applejax Quote
and P.S. What's CRIS?
https://www.criscam.com/
07-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

last time i had my 16-50 sent in for repair of the SDM and zoom issue. they replaced several things:
ESTIMATE TO REPLACE SDM UNIT
REPLACE MAIN PCB ASSEMBLY
REPLACE ZOOM ROLLER
ADJUST TO MANUFACTURERS SPECIFICATIONS
GENERAL CHECK AND CLEAN
REPAIR COMES WITH A 6 MONTH SERVICE WARRANTY

And charged $240+ shipping.
07-21-2014, 03:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That has been my experience as well. If it hasn't been done yet, they usually replaced SDM motor for about $240-$300.

Although once done, the broken zoom guide roller is only a $25 part, so majority of cost os labor.
This last fix, a little over month ago, was only $74 and only took a few days, as they had the part in stock. (if not in stock, you're likely looking at 2, 3, 4+ month wait)

FYI, CRIS is the only Pentax/Ricoh repair shop in the US. You may have other shops that can do simple repairs in your area, but in general, if the repair goes beyond simply cleaning they are going to ship the item to CRIS.

07-21-2014, 03:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This happened to mine after it took a little tumble (into sand, thankfully). I took it to a local optical repair shop, and they told me it was a common problem with a number of modern zooms, where one of the little balls in the zoom mechanism can jump out of its plastic spiral track and create a "bruise" in the plastic, which can cause it to stick or drag after you relocate it. They kindly showed me how to get it back in the track, by gently working it backwards and forwards until it clicked into place. They told me it wasn't really worth disassembling and replacing the mechanism, as the advantage of using plastic is that it partially "heals" if you run it back and forth a few times after it's back in the track. They were right, but in certain orientations, the "bruise" sometimes makes itself felt, but, once you know it's there, it's simple enough to cope with. Apparently, Canon and Nikon zooms do it, too, so the DA*16-50 isn't the only "junk" zoom around.
07-21-2014, 04:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You guys must be tough on your lenses. I have put literally tens of thousands of shots through the two DA*16-50's I have owned, battling enthusiastic crowds at live music gigs all over Adelaide, and never had this problem.

Both of them had SDM failures, but that's a different issue.
07-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

For maybe three of those eight I can say it *may* have been due to a slight bump. I can attest that although I try my best to be ultra careful with y equipment, accidents do happen.

But in most cases it was simple normal wear.
In several of the cases, it was within a few days or even a few hours of use since the previous repair. (sadly, often after sitting on a shelf for most of 90 days and thus out of warranty of the repair)

So no, not necessarily rough on the lenses. They are just crap.

I now rotate using my backup lenses often to make sure they get well used within that warranty period since I cannot trust that the repair will last more than a few hours.