Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Don't dismiss the 30 f1.4 for portraits!

Check out Sigma's website (and other places on the net) for portraits shot with this lens. It's actually pretty impressive. Wonderful bokeh and a great "3-D" effect. Besides, you guys can't diss this lens, I just ordered one last night!

05-16-2010, 12:06 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why was this resurrected? Last post was in 08...
05-16-2010, 04:51 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Why was this resurrected? Last post was in 08...
To celebrate the thread's second birthday.
04-18-2011, 03:38 AM   #34
Veteran Member

More please! I'm strongly considering this lens

-> Doglover, any pics?

I feel this will suit me as I find a 50mm abit long indoors, I also need something fast for my K7 and finally I like the wider stuff, will use as a walkabout lens aswell as portraits.
One more thing, I shoot alot of two person+ portraits of people when they come visit which suits this focal length too.

04-18-2011, 03:48 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You may have something there...any physicists in the crowd? I know that what you are saying is true for flat subjects taken straight on and for all subjects as distance approaches infinity.

I recently did a series similar to what I described because I doubted the very assertion that I made in my original response. Strangely, the shorter focal length images still exhibited the typical "wide-angle look" (exaggerated perspective and greater DOF). The normal still looked "normal" (though cropped) and the longer focal lengths still looked like they were taken with a telephoto (flattened perspective and narrowed DOF).

Before I got my K10D, I figured I would mount up my 28mm and use it as a short normal. I tried this for awhile, but was not happy with the results. The 28 is rectilinear and has very low distortion, but regardless of FOV, the pictures never really "looked" right. Strangely, they looked like crops from a picture taken with a 28mm lens!

In any case, I would suggest that the poster try it out. If the results are good...go for it!

Steve

BTW...I would have posted my test pictures, but I deleted them...perhaps I will redo the test?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12196364/20110416_IMGP2041.jpg
That's the simple proof why the same FOV implies the same perspective distortion. The only difference between 31mm on APS-C and 46.5mm on FF are arguably better details on the latter (depends on the scheme though, but it's easier for FF to achieve equal with APS-C sharpness).
06-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomInJax Quote
I disagree. It isn't because of the focal length that perspective changes, it is distance to the subject.

For example, if you are taking a picture of someone from 15 feet away with a FF camera using a 46mm lens. Then you picked up a K10D with a 31mm lens and framed it exactly the same as you did with the FF camera with the 46mm lens, you would still be 15 feet away. All things otherwise being equal, the portraits would be identical.

Does this is mean using a 50mm lens on a ff camera covers the same FOV as a 35mm lens on a new DSLR?
06-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
Does this is mean using a 50mm lens on a ff camera covers the same FOV as a 35mm lens on a new DSLR?
Yes, pretty much. So the 35mm lens is the new "normal" for a DSLR - but note that a 28mm lens (i.e. 42mm for FF) is actually "more normal", if you're after a perspective similar to a human eye. Don't confuse this with the desired perspective for a portrait though. For a 35mm lens, you'd have to be just a couple of feet away from your subject for a head-and-shoulders shot, and the resulting image would look like, er, you were a couple of feet away when you took the shot - i.e. not very flattering.

By the way, I hadn't noticed this was an old thread as I was browsing through, but it occurs to me that stevebrot's test could have been made very difficult to guess if the lens had been stopped down a little when at 55mm (because the DOF could have been made identical).
06-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Many good reasons to pick the 30 1.4, but as a portrait dedicated lens, it's not the best.

This discussion of perspective brings something to light - a portrait lens should ideally be a zoom. Tamron 28-75 gets my vote.

If you want a fast prime, though, you might be better off with something on the longer end of things... 50-70 mm. In general, these focal lengths tend to work better for portraits, while the shorter lengths *sometimes* work, and sometimes make your subjects look like big bird.

06-09-2011, 01:09 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Many good reasons to pick the 30 1.4, but as a portrait dedicated lens, it's not the best.
The problem with this lens is that it's not dedicated to portrait (focal length too short), neither to landscape (borders lacking sharpness) or architecture (distortion too high). It's not a bas lens per se but in fact, since I got it, I have been wondering how I could use it...

Cheers!

Abbazz
06-09-2011, 01:51 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
The problem with this lens is that it's not dedicated to portrait (focal length too short)
Only if you think that portrait = headshot, which is not true of course. Portrait can be full body shot, half body shot, environmental portrait, kid shots, etc - "normal" FL lenses work well for these.

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
, neither to landscape (borders lacking sharpness)
DA* 16-50 has same soft borders and corners, yet many people rave about it and discount the Sigma for "soft borders". Go figure! Lens snobbery and fanboyism at its best, I guess. By the way, that 20-30 pixels wide borders can be cropped out of the 16MP image if you're so worried about borders and corners. I've shot landscapes with it and at normal viewing sizes nobody noticed "soft borders".
06-09-2011, 03:14 AM   #41

I was considering this lens for environmental portraits too.
Really love the results I see on flickriver!
Then I found a Vivitar 28/2.0 for 27e shipping included.......
Maybe later though. Or even the FA31. One must have dreams.
06-09-2011, 06:16 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by freewheeler Quote
I was considering this lens for environmental portraits too.
Really love the results I see on flickriver!
Then I found a Vivitar 28/2.0 for 27e shipping included.......
Maybe later though. Or even the FA31. One must have dreams.
Portraits (portrayals of personage) can indeed be shot with any focal length. Many of the best floral shots are portraits, right? But human headshots are usually done in the 50-135 range on APS-C. 28-30-35mm are good for contextual portraits. And many superb manual 28mm and 35mm lenses can be found for much less than those highly-prized AF gems in that range. My great 28/2 and 28/2.5's by Kiron, Komine, Tamron, were all under US$20 not so long ago. So I'll dream (briefly) of the FA31; but I'll USE the Komine 28/2 CFWA. (It's good for floral portraits too.)

Last edited by RioRico; 06-09-2011 at 06:32 AM.
06-09-2011, 06:20 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Only if you think that portrait = headshot, which is not true of course. Portrait can be full body shot, half body shot, environmental portrait, kid shots, etc - "normal" FL lenses work well for these.
I mean, you can shoot an environmental portrait with a wide angle. Not really the point... you can shoot an environmental AND a headshot with a lens that goes from 28mm to 75mm... or even 17-50... the Tamrons are good for this due to their f2.8 aperture, but the DA* lenses also do well.

If you have to pick a prime, though, a 50mm-70mm can do a headshot, or an environmental portrait. A 28mm can only do one of those things well.
06-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #44

Hi RiciRico
Its maybe due de fact that I own my Vivitar 28/2.0 (Kiron) only since one week ago
that I still dream of....other lenses. The fact that it was cheap doesn't mean it would be lesser.
Already made some pictures of my doughter an floral shots aswell as architecture with it.
Colors, bokeh and sharpeness are very good. I only have doubts about the coating since there
is some ghosting goiing around in backlight situations. Overall very happy with it though!