Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You guys with the cheap extension tubes

This is for you folks with the no-frills-just-a-tube extension tubes commonly found on eBay. They look like this (although the mounts can be different):

I'm working on an experiment and in need of some relatively short spacer rings - basically an empty filter ring that's more than the usual 4mm-or-so depth. Someone on another forum mentioned they ordered a "spacer ring" like what I've described and received what amounts to the middle-length tube found in these sets - no mounts, just threading. I'm hoping someone here has some of these tubes and can confirm the thread size is compatible with filter threads. I think they fit either 52mm or 58mm filter rings.

The middle tube from these sets are perfect for what I need, a 16mm length. I'm looking at PVC, but it would mean using glue or epoxy for my project and I'm not keen on going that route.

A (K)1000 thank-yous in advance if you can help me out on this!

07-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one for sale on ebay, really cheap (they're inexpensive to begin with). I'm sort of practicing for the sale of some rather expensive music and recording gear.
07-23-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
I have one for sale on ebay, really cheap (they're inexpensive to begin with). I'm sort of practicing for the sale of some rather expensive music and recording gear.
Ok... would you happen to have a 58mm filter or step-up ring you can try screwing on this guy? I'm really trying to confirm the diameter and thread pitch.
07-23-2014, 08:53 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't be afraid of going the epoxy route with WHATEVER material comes to hand. If the interior is flat black and it's strong enough to support the lens weight a DIY solution will deliver the same results as a $$$$ classic bellows or extension tube set.

Nesting diameter PVC tubing and epoxied lens/body mounts with a l'il flat black spray paint can duplicate a lot of very expensive hardware. Then only thing that counts in the results is dark millimeters of extension no matter how you get them or how expensive the gear.

Remove the glass from unused B&W filters and canibalize old lenses and forlorn bodies for end connectors.

Experiment with hand-held cardboard toilet paper tubes and duct tape as spacers 'til you get it right! Field expedient solutions rules -- McGyver-it.

07-23-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LowVoltage Quote
Ok... would you happen to have a 58mm filter or step-up ring you can try screwing on this guy? I'm really trying to confirm the diameter and thread pitch.
You bet, I'll check in the morn and get back to you in the eve.
07-23-2014, 10:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Don't be afraid of going the epoxy route with WHATEVER material comes to hand. If the interior is flat black and it's strong enough to support the lens weight a DIY solution will deliver the same results as a $$$$ classic bellows or extension tube set.

Nesting diameter PVC tubing and epoxied lens/body mounts with a l'il flat black spray paint can duplicate a lot of very expensive hardware. Then only thing that counts in the results is dark millimeters of extension no matter how you get them or how expensive the gear.

Remove the glass from unused B&W filters and canibalize old lenses and forlorn bodies for end connectors.

Experiment with hand-held cardboard toilet paper tubes and duct tape as spacers 'til you get it right! Field expedient solutions rules -- McGyver-it.
Haha thanks and thumbs-up for the pep talk! It might come to using PVC - it's certainly sturdy enough. My only true issue with it is that, while the end goal of the experiment is not expected to yield high-quality images, I would still like to count on things being more or less centered. I'm putting some loose elements into a contraption to make a lens, and if I cut down PVC I'll likely need to give some sanding to get rid of any burrs or snaggles. I'm hoping I can get somebody with a real-deal electric saw to cut the stuff with a good certainty of having 90º angles, rather than using a hacksaw. That being said, the modular nature of photo kit is helpful, so I wouldn't mind knowing the extension tube is an option.
07-23-2014, 10:50 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A properly adjusted electric saw can offer more than adequate precision -- and a few degrees of end-angle using slip-it tubes can also produce expensive tilt-lens results with a little experimentation. The only limitation is that you're always introducing some amount of extension -- which is minimized if using long FL lenses.

07-29-2014, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Negative on the 58mm. Doesn't fit.
07-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Negative on the 58mm. Doesn't fit.
Alright, thank you for the homework!