Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA*300 arrived today

Very happy to get this littlbe guy in today, but it is hardly little, thing is fricken huge, and heavy. The tripod collar is very, very smooth. The focusing ring turns very smooth as well, but I did notice that the focus ring moves up and down about a millimeter if I push on it, while the DA*200 doesnt budge, not sure if this will be an issue but I doubt it. I haven't been outside with it yet, heading there in a few. I had heard that this lens had great sharpness corner to corner so I did a quick test on a picture hanging in my room and I liked the results a lot. You can tell that the image is sharp because there faux canvas threads are still in tact and not blurred out.

FULL IMAGE

100% TOP LEFT

100% TOP RIGHT

100% BOTTOM LEFT

100% BOTTOM RIGHT

05-07-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Damn I thought you were shipping to my address ? Oh well ... Enjoy ! I hear and see great things from this lens. Now those backyard birds do not stand a chance
05-07-2008, 10:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I had heard that this lens had great sharpness corner to corner so I did a quick test on a picture hanging in my room and I liked the results a lot. You can tell that the image is sharp because there faux canvas threads are still in tact and not blurred out.
Jay,

How would you say this compares to the Bigma lens in IQ? Would you say that IQ is similar and the main difference is aperture? Or is the contrast and sharpness also better?

You do know that you are stirring dormant LBA back up in some of us?
05-07-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

you lucky dog!!! Can't wait to see more.

05-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Good for you, Buddha! And good way to test the lens. I happened to have my 300 next to me on the K20 and can detect no axial focus ring movement at all - I also checked the 200 - same thing - likely not an issue though, as you opined.
05-07-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomInJax Quote
Jay,

How would you say this compares to the Bigma lens in IQ? Would you say that IQ is similar and the main difference is aperture? Or is the contrast and sharpness also better?

You do know that you are stirring dormant LBA back up in some of us?
I have never owned the Bigma so I cant really say from personal experience but the IQ def is good. As for the LBA, I only have 3 lenses to go before I am done and only 1 is currently available.

QuoteOriginally posted by John Kovarik Quote
Good for you, Buddha! And good way to test the lens. I happened to have my 300 next to me on the K20 and can detect no axial focus ring movement at all - I also checked the 200 - same thing - likely not an issue though, as you opined.
Thanks for checking, I don't think I will make a stink of this, it's a little concerning but doesnt seem to affect anything.
05-07-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have never owned the Bigma so I cant really say from personal experience but the IQ def is good.
I am looking forward to some outdoor photos with this new gem.

As for the LBA, I only have 3 lenses to go before I am done and only 1 is currently available.
Yes, your new kit is really looking classy!! I am jealous... Please take a picture of the "family" at this stage for us to see! It must be a sight!

05-07-2008, 02:34 PM   #8

Thanks for checking, I don't think I will make a stink of this, it's a little concerning but doesnt seem to affect anything.
Mine too has a tiny bit of slack in the fokus ring. Does not worry me. Not at all.
05-07-2008, 02:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You've got a nice collection going Buddha I love my new da300 and thought it felt light as a feather after toting around the tamron 300 f2.8 for so long Mine has a little play in the focus ring too, I figured it was because of the focus clutch or something. I put a tamron cap on mine because I had a hard time fumbling with the pentax one and I had it already.
05-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tim and Tom, man oh man, you guys just made my day, my whole damn week with those wiggle approving responses. Now I can sleep at night with a smile on my face.
05-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Da* 300 is a great lens and it costs a lot! Congrads to owning the lens and enjoy it
05-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #12
roy
Inactive Account

BJ,
that's an awful slow lens you have there. tell you what, i've got tamron 300/2.8 i'll trade you for it.. i mean, it's a whole f-stop faster..
05-07-2008, 04:34 PM   #13

This is all well and good but where's the picture of the box?
05-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #14

also, I'm calling Mr. Jones out on a fictitious signature. For shame teasing people like that. (15 and 55 ltd.)
05-07-2008, 05:14 PM   #15

congrats on the purchase.

of the four corner shots, it looks like the upper right is the softest.

did you get it at your local camera store or via internet?