Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2014, 04:12 AM   #1
Forum Member

Manual Lens at auction advice

Hi,

I've posted this as a new member as didnt want to advertise where these may be offer. (will say I'm in the UK )

I spotted the following lenses in mixed pentax lots in a local auction and would welcome your advice on them and what they might be worth in the current lens market..

M 15mm F3.5 lens, boxed
M 28mm F3.5 lens
M 100mm F4 Macro
A 300mm F4
A 50mm F2.8 Macro

Many thanks for any advice.

07-25-2014, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #2

You can look through the lens review database and see what people are willing to pay for most of the lenses. This should give you a rough idea of what to expect to pay. Auctions are always an unknown because there can be some fool with more money than sense that can drive the price up way beyond the "market" price.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/
07-25-2014, 04:31 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks,

there is some interesting other bits and pieces in the lots as well, I'm digital but a couple of film bodies such as an LX, an early spotmatic, a super A and a ME.

Unfortunatly all the lens I'm really interested in are in different lots!!!
07-25-2014, 04:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You can look through the lens review database and see what people are willing to pay for most of the lenses.
Sometimes the review database doesn't have current prices, especially those lenses that haven't had a new review in over a year. I suggest you look at the Sold section of the Markeplace forum here as well. MightyMike and others sell a lot of these types of lenses and you can see what prices they went for on most of them.

I would also suggest looking at the Sold section on Ebay. This can give a range of prices from "I got a steal" to "I'm stupid and don't know what the true value of this lens is".

Tim

07-25-2014, 05:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shhh Quote
I've posted this as a new member as didnt want to advertise where these may be offer. (will say I'm in the UK )

Go on, give us a hint. Then at least the lenses might end up with actual photographers, instead of disappearing into some anal-retentive collector's private treasury.

Looks like I'm gonna be spending the rest of the afternoon Googling for upcoming camera auctions. It's worth it for a chance at that 15mm/3.5.
07-25-2014, 05:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The M 28mm f3.5 and A 50mm f2.8 are tempting. These two would perform well on digital, too (just get a nice deep hood for that 28mm). The thing with prices is, they are relative to your territory and to your own budget. And also opportunity, luck. So its difficult to say what a good price is.
I like Rio's scheme where he compares lens prices to meals. That way its easier to gauge its value to you.
07-25-2014, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The 15 is the star of that collection. I have seen them go for 600, although recently most I've seen have struggled to sell for 450. Unless you are really into film though, the da 15 is a much better choice.

The Macros are likely to be worth 100-150 each, depending on condition.

07-27-2014, 01:13 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Unfortunatly I think there were a few collectors at the auction as everything was in mint condition.I was hoping for a couple of sleepers but think everything went for about its money.

Have to say having had be good look at it the m15 is a beaut, so well made. The lot with that in went for 500
07-27-2014, 02:01 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shhh Quote
Have to say having had be good look at it the m15 is a beaut, so well made. The lot with that in went for 500

Plus a 20% buyer's premium for the auction house!

I watched the auction online and did actually register to bid, but the 15mm went over my budget after about two seconds. It was obviously a beautifully looked-after collection: according to the auctioneer belonging to somebody retiring to Cornwall and downsizing.

Thanks to the mystery OP for the heads-up. Now I can add online video auction addiction to my ebay addiction.
07-27-2014, 02:22 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Dave,

Every lot was absolute mint, some of the lots looked like they'd never been used original box, polystyrene around every item, with lens cases and lenses unscratched and unscuffed.

I was in the same boat as you, out bid after about 2 secs.