Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Voigtlander 90/3.5 APO-Lanthar - tests and pics.

Well, thanks to Frank I've secured the first of the Lanthars. Had a little fun with it these past couple mornings - feel free to comment or question (everything but my sanity).

Cosina-Voigtlander 90/3.5 APO-Lanthar - a set on Flickr

05-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

nice test Kelly. the lack of CA is quite astounding and very impressive.
i wish pentax put more close focusing ability into the lenses, but maybe they're afraid it may make autofocus even slower :P
you must be quite happy to have a whole set of Lanthars, but I'm guessing you like the 125 best.
what happened to your halloween orange test subject?
05-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I nearly owned this lens for 2 occasions earlier this year. However, nothing eventuated.

A lens typcial of its well-known rendition: sharp, clean, clear and cool colour.

f3.5 is in deed a little slow but the image turns out to have a magic touch to it.
05-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
nice test Kelly. the lack of CA is quite astounding and very impressive.
i wish pentax put more close focusing ability into the lenses, but maybe they're afraid it may make autofocus even slower :P
you must be quite happy to have a whole set of Lanthars, but I'm guessing you like the 125 best.
what happened to your halloween orange test subject?
haha, perhaps you're right (re:auto focus speed). Probably a lot of auto-focus lenses are in the same boat. I am pleased to have all the Lanthars, for sure. The 90 seemed the least interesting, but I feel its tiny size and moderate focal range will make it a nice walk-around choice. It treads a little close to the 77ltd for a lot of people I think, but it focuses closer and has that awesome MF feel, if thats your thing. I'd honestly say that my favourite depends on what I'd be shooting, they all seem pretty much equal image-wise. You have more options with the 125 though, so it's probably the 'boss' of the three. If you have a chance to get any of them though, you won't regret it.

The Orange!!!! Its just... gone. After almost two years of keeping me company at work and being the first thing any lens I laid hands on, laid eyes on. Its just gone. Don't know what happened to it, I think the new cleaners probably put on a rubber glove and flung it in the bin one night.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I nearly owned this lens for 2 occasions earlier this year. However, nothing eventuated.

A lens typcial of its well-known rendition: sharp, clean, clear and cool colour.

f3.5 is in deed a little slow but the image turns out to have a magic touch to it.
Your time will come - I think these lenses are magic and go to where the love is and give extra special color as your reward, haha. Just keep the VLBA alive

05-08-2008, 10:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice review and testing shots, Kelly. And glad I could be some help (and thank you for the help along the way too ).

I got chance testing out one copy of this lens a while ago, quite liked it. It's very sharp wide open, produces very pleasing colors too. Pity I didn't get chance playing it for long.

Here is a sample taken by VL90+K100D wide open in JPG:

05-09-2008, 06:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Frank, that is a very sharp focus with the best desired bokeh behind her!