Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2014, 03:56 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You always think the next sale will be the one with that aluminum box with Pentax on the outside and a 250-600 inside.
As I explain to my wife why I frequent these sales: One of these days, I'm going to hit it lucky - the rays of light will be shining from the sky, the angels will be singing so that only I can hear, and there will sit a new-in-box Pentax F* telephoto, with a price tag showing $10.

- Craig

07-29-2014, 04:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member

e-bay for me, but totally agree with Manntax and Kayaker - J.

My scores - mint 77ltd for $USD550 (incl postage), Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSMII USD$450(incl. postage and 12months warranty) Both purchases took place when the going rates were $200 higher.

My general rules for e-bay purchases: -

1) Be patient. Don't allow the thrill of the chase drive a sense of urgency, there's always a next time.
2) Don't spend any more than you're willing to write off. Kayaker - J is not alone out there.
3) Research the seller, check their selling history for your item - steer clear of anything that doesn't feel quite right. One 77ltd I was looking at got sold three times in six months.
4) Take advantage of seasonal factors, some people set really poor times and dates to end their auctions.
07-29-2014, 04:31 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vagabond79 Quote
I find my LBA ramping up, especially as I continue to discover the old (but amazing) Tak, K, M and A series lenses. Like everyone else, I am always on the lookout for a deal. Where are the best bets for finding a good buy?

I find ebay to be pretty competitive for the nice old lenses and difficult to get a deal.

I look on craigslist fairly often but mostly find old, budget zooms of low quality.

Are there other good places to explore like garage sales, flea markets, pawn shops, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
You can try pawn shops, and also goodwill stores.

I have seen lots of things at goodwill, over the past 4 years, including several M42 50/1.4 lenses, tons of 28mm, and Helios 58mm lenses as well as a few 135 taks, (of this I have bought a 135super tak, and a 135 SMC tak, plus a Helios 58 mm. Lots of zoom lenses and even newer AF film bodies with 28-70 zooms etc.

Pawn shops have been pretty much run out of quality stuff for pentax at least in toronto
07-29-2014, 05:30 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Estate sales, garage sales, thrift shops, Craig's list and Shop Goodwill.com have all yielded great finds but like the fairy tale, you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince. Honestly, if your time is worth anything you are better off buying at a reputable dealer. You might drive to and search through 50 estate sales without finding anything with Pentax on it.
I've found a number of great deals at places like that, but what jatrax is saying is right...you do a LOT of looking before you find anything. The latest thing I found was a K1000 at a Goodwill store where they were selling everything for $1.69/lb. Frankly, though, if I were only looking for Pentax gear, it wouldn't be worth the trouble. It's more of a hobby for my wife and I...and we're looking for all kinds of things...so we hit way more than the average person would.

07-29-2014, 11:20 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Local “brick & mortar” camera stores have been a good source for me. I have found many of my used Pentax 35mm and 6x7 lenses at local camera stores.

- You can see/hold the actual lens and try it out.
- If there are any issues you can return the lens to the store.
- You can also put the lens on hold or on layaway and pay for it in installments.
- The stores run the lens through a Police stolen s/n list, so you are guaranteed it’s not hot. (There is a 30 day hold when the store buys a lens or gets one traded-in.)

You can’t do that with eBay or KEH and you end up supporting a local business.

Phil.