I don't own this lens 2617.81%
I used to own this lens but sold it 85.48%
I have another fast fifty, but not this one 4631.51%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You missed an option. I have this lens AND another fast 50. BTW I noticed there were two 50mm f1.2 lenses on fleabay today. Don't recall ever seeing two at the same time before.

05-08-2008, 07:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by G_Money Quote
You missed an option. I have this lens AND another fast 50. BTW I noticed there were two 50mm f1.2 lenses on fleabay today. Don't recall ever seeing two at the same time before.
there are A50 1.2's that can be had for new on ebay
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/26441-lba-firs...-50-1-2-a.html
05-08-2008, 08:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by K100Dave Quote
FA 50mm 1.4 - Biggest bang for the buck in pentax's line-up. Period!
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
I have the SMC-M 50 MM F1.4, but would love to get the "A" version for my K10D, it doesn't play well with the manual lenses, lol
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I don't own one...yet.

Some of you may think I'm absolutely nuts, but I want to sell my FA43 to get the new DA35 macro. Obviously, the 35 is slower than the 43, so a FA50/1.4 would be just right for a low-light option without breaking the bank.
So many great 50s in the Pentax line-up! Frankly it's hard to choose just one. Kinda partially explains the LBA obsessions. Gotta wonder about Pentax like that...

I highly encourage you guys in the hunt for a fast 50 to take a look at any of the A series lenses if you don't mind manual focus. Even the A 50 f/2.0 is a fantastic lens. The only reason it's so overlooked is the slightly slower speed. Some report a bit of flare wide open, but I haven't seen it in a situation where my 1.7 and kit lens don't do the same. Even then, how often do you shoot wide open a on a sunny day?...

I recently found independent research that shows the A series f/2.0 has better center resolution than the 1.7 and comparable res to the 1.4. Now before some of you jump all over that please know that I don't necissarily agree with the indicated test results as I don't know the methodology of the testing, but this at least shows the difference is hardly worth snubbing the 2.0. There are a few other sources that confirm the A 2.0 is up to task as a great 50mm lens, so if you need a great prime in that focal range, they're worth a look for the price - Even if it's just temporary 'till the 43mm Limited arrives.

Measured Resolution Numbers
05-08-2008, 10:59 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
I highly encourage you guys in the hunt for a fast 50 to take a look at any of the A series lenses if you don't mind manual focus. Even the A 50 f/2.0 is a fantastic lens. The only reason it's so overlooked is the slightly slower speed. Some report a bit of flare wide open, but I haven't seen it in a situation where my 1.7 and kit lens don't do the same. Even then, how often do you shoot wide open a on a sunny day?...

Measured Resolution Numbers
I also have two fast fifty's, I have the FA 1.4, and the A 2.0. I really love the A, and in some cases prefer it to the 1.4, in terms of great feeling build quality. With a couple macro rings it does ok for macro work (nice to have that almost 360 degrees of focusing range) and the best part was.... I won it for $10 on e-bay. Does life get any better??