Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Bucking the trend

I'd say that with the 16-45 and the 55-300 you have pretty much the full range of focal lengths required, unless of course you want to go much wider. I would think carefully about bringing a fast prime, like the FA50mm F1.4. I'm sure there will be some low light photo ops that a light weight fast prime would be ideal for. I think there will be more opportunity to use a low light lens instead of a macro.

NaCl( a 'fast 50' is the way to go)H2O
I would agree with the fast lens as the 3rd one, IMO it would be indispensible - especially if you don't have a tripod.

I think I would find it difficult to chose between the 50 and a 35/2, or even a 31mm for that matter (if I had the budget!). probably depends on your fov preference, subject matter and photo stitching capabilities. Maybe even a 50/2.8 macro ?

I think I would go for a 35/2, it's fast enough, light enough, and it will have similar perception to eyesight and will be versatile. You could use it indoors more easily than the 50 also (rememeber the 16-45 can only be used with the pop-up flash from ~24-45mm, assuming you won't be taking a flashgun). hhmmm just wish I had one !

Last edited by bladerunneruk; 05-10-2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: typo
05-11-2008, 09:01 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Decision made (probably)

Though I reserve the right to change my min dof course lol, I think im going to use this opportunity to start my pancake collection.

Before the trip I am going to acquire the:

da 21mm
da 35mm macro
da 70mm

Thanks to everyone who responded!
05-11-2008, 09:54 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Pancakes are a great solution for a hike. Lightweight, small, great photo quality primes.
05-11-2008, 11:19 AM   #19
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depends what subject do you usually shoot! If you prefer plants, wildlife and birds, get a good macro and fast long prime (say: Tamron 90 or Sigma 105 and DA*200 or 300). Having DA16-45 you're ready for great landscapes, but if you want to push it DA12-24 or Sigma 10-20 would be very usefull - those 4 or 6mm on the wide end mean a lot! So my advice is. You have two good zooms already, think what you are shooting the most and pick your lenses accordingly...
best of luck, and keep us posted with pics from yellowstone

05-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #20
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bwield Quote
Though I reserve the right to change my min dof course lol, I think im going to use this opportunity to start my pancake collection.

da 21mm
da 35mm macro
da 70mm

good choice I must admit...
05-11-2008, 02:26 PM   #21
Veteran Member

da 21mm
da 35mm macro
da 70mm

I agree, that sounds like a good combination, one that I may copy myself. I've got the 35 on the way and I had thought about getting the 70, anyhow. I know some people complain that the 21 is slow for a prime, but as long as you aren't trying to shoot something in the middle of the night, then it should be fine. How many times do you shoot with a lens wide open on a sunny day, anyhow?

To mine I'm thinking that I may add the FA50/1.4 just to have a low-light option. We'll see.

Heather
05-14-2008, 02:06 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Decision Amended...

I know I said I had settled on the
DA 21
DA 35
DA 70,

But instead i've decided that for the price of the 35 limited I will get the DA 40 and complete the pancake trio, and pick up a used FA - 50mm 2.8 macro!

Phew.... now off to purchase...

05-15-2008, 04:57 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I read this as you changing your minimum depth of field. I thought maybe you were contemplating the FA limited series instead of the DA... until I realised the typo!