Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

For the first time, my lens setup feels complete...

... and yes, it is probably not going to last forever, LBA being a looming threat all the time.
But currently I really feel like my lens setup is complete.

I just sold four lenses (M-28 F2.8, M-120 F2.8, DA 21, FA 50 1.4) and purchased the FA31 Limited and the Sigma 15mm, thus changing my primes setup significantly.

Now my current setup consists of (as shown in the picture) the workhorse zooms Tamron AF 17-50mm F2.8 and Pentax SMC DA 55-300mm F4-5.8, and in ascending order of focal length my beloved primes:
Sigma AF 15/2.8 EX DG FISHEYE
Pentax SMC FA 31 F1.8 Limited
Pentax SMC M-50 F1.4
Pentax SMC FA* 85mm F1.4

You might notice that there are only full frame format primes left. This was one of my goals in restructuring my prime setup, in order to fully utilize my 2 film cameras as well (and prepare for whatever is coming in digital...).

Picture taken with the trusty Ricoh GR, which is not to be blamed for my shaky hands that kind of got the picture blurry
Also part of the family: Cactus flash and wireless trigger, some tripods in the back.

What do you think of this setup, and what would you have done differently?
Cheers
René

08-02-2014, 11:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice! But "Complete"? LOL I don;t think it's possible to reach that point!
08-02-2014, 11:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Nice! But "Complete"? LOL I don;t think it's possible to reach that point!
I can keep trying to convince myself
08-03-2014, 12:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I can relate to your objectives and choices there, Rene'. Apart from the fisheye aspect, which is some "down the road" (if ever) concern for me, I am very, very interested to know your techniques for drawing the best from the Tamron zoom so that it does not produce results so out of line with what I might think you're able to achieve with the best prime lenses you list. You can see a pretty comprehensive explanation from me (and draw your own inferences) of where I'm coming from on this -- the struggle to fill the "gap" between a DA15mm Limited and the FA31mm -- in the almost concurrent thread, "Non-conventional wide-angle options". My lenses are described there, a set which newly includes the FA31mm and several "fast 50" options.

And BTW, how do you think the Ricoh GR stacks up to your best in absolute IQ terms? I have seen suggestions from very critical pro users who seem to feel the GR, because of its especially well-executed lens-sensor integration, matches or beats what can be wrung with ~24 megapixels from the high end "pro-sumer" Nikons on the DX crop format. Really? What's your take? Thanks.

08-03-2014, 12:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
I can relate to your objectives and choices there, Rene'. Apart from the fisheye aspect, which is some "down the road" (if ever) concern for me, I am very, very interested to know your techniques for drawing the best from the Tamron zoom so that it does not produce results so out of line with what I might think you're able to achieve with the best prime lenses you list. You can see a pretty comprehensive explanation from me (and draw your own inferences) of where I'm coming from on this -- the struggle to fill the "gap" between a DA15mm Limited and the FA31mm -- in the almost concurrent thread, "Non-conventional wide-angle options". My lenses are described there, a set which newly includes the FA31mm and several " fast 50" options.

And BTW, how do you think the Ricoh GR stacks up to your best in absolute IQ terms? I have seen suggestions from very critical pro users who seem to feel the GR, because of its especially well-executed lens-sensor integration, matches or beats what can be wrung with ~24 megapixels from the high end "pro-sumer" Nikons on the DX crop format. Really? What's your take? Thanks.
Oh wow, those are tough questions to ask one such as me.
The problem is, I am not really an analytic type in photography, and do not do any pixelpeeping.
As far as image quality of the zoom - I really like the Tamron, but I only have it for the occasions where I really have to go with "one lens only", and need to be versatile.
Whenever I can, I pick primes. I just feel it fuels my creativity to be limited with focal lengths. Also, the IQ of those things is really nice, even to an untrained eye such as mine.

The GR has never let me down in IQ. It is amazing what comes out of this tiny little lens. I can really understand where the mentioned pro users (I am definitely not one of them!) are coming from!

Sorry if that is not much of a help for you I am really more of a hobby shooter who happened to spend some money on nice primes because they are really cheap here in Japan (exchange rate)
08-03-2014, 12:45 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Ah, lucky you. Mine come with a small guilt trip attached! My excuse is, I'm old enough now to croak with very little, if any, prior notice of impending doom; so the delayed gratification thing holds less sway with this practiced cheapskate nowadays.

So I say, just have some fun as often as you can, Rene': detail guys like me are prone at times to finding themselves paralyzed and "fogged in", negating some of the assumed advantages.
08-03-2014, 04:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
... and yes, it is probably not going to last forever, LBA being a looming threat all the time.
But currently I really feel like my lens setup is complete.

I just sold four lenses (M-28 F2.8, M-120 F2.8, DA 21, FA 50 1.4) and purchased the FA31 Limited and the Sigma 15mm, thus changing my primes setup significantly.

Now my current setup consists of (as shown in the picture) the workhorse zooms Tamron AF 17-50mm F2.8 and Pentax SMC DA 55-300mm F4-5.8, and in ascending order of focal length my beloved primes:
Sigma AF 15/2.8 EX DG FISHEYE
Pentax SMC FA 31 F1.8 Limited
Pentax SMC M-50 F1.4
Pentax SMC FA* 85mm F1.4

You might notice that there are only full frame format primes left. This was one of my goals in restructuring my prime setup, in order to fully utilize my 2 film cameras as well (and prepare for whatever is coming in digital...).

Picture taken with the trusty Ricoh GR, which is not to be blamed for my shaky hands that kind of got the picture blurry
Also part of the family: Cactus flash and wireless trigger, some tripods in the back.

What do you think of this setup, and what would you have done differently?
Cheers
René
You have a well-thought out strategy (and some very good primes to implement it). I'm curious why you parted with the DA21 - your Tamron probably plays very well in that range.
08-03-2014, 05:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mwilky55 Quote
I'm curious why you parted with the DA21 - your Tamron probably plays very well in that range.
There are 3 main reasons why I let go of it:
- I liked it because it is a small lens with good IQ ... the Ricoh GR can do that better (much smaller, IQ at least as good if not better) edit: and yeah the Tamron "does the job" as well
- While it has good IQ and is sharp, it is not really a "wow" lens... the focal length is a little bit too short or a little bit too wide for me (now I have 15, 18 and 31, awesome combination!)
- I really wanted the 31, and needed the money ^^ Also I had too many lenses for my conscience, so I wanted to get rid of some

08-03-2014, 07:07 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Eh...I think I would have kept the FA 50mm f1.4 instead of the M (and I love M lenses), but otherwise I think you've got a pretty good set going for you. I just think that the metering and focusing advantages of the FA outweigh any sharpness advantage the M may have. Now you just need to start working on your focal ranges from 135mm on!
08-03-2014, 08:09 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There are 3 main reasons why I let go of it:
- I liked it because it is a small lens with good IQ ... the Ricoh GR can do that better (much smaller, IQ at least as good if not better) edit: and yeah the Tamron "does the job" as well
- While it has good IQ and is sharp, it is not really a "wow" lens... the focal length is a little bit too short or a little bit too wide for me (now I have 15, 18 and 31, awesome combination!)
- I really wanted the 31, and needed the money ^^ Also I had too many lenses for my conscience, so I wanted to get rid of some
That makes sense....not familiar wight he Ricoh.
08-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Eh...I think I would have kept the FA 50mm f1.4 instead of the M (and I love M lenses), but otherwise I think you've got a pretty good set going for you. I just think that the metering and focusing advantages of the FA outweigh any sharpness advantage the M may have. Now you just need to start working on your focal ranges from 135mm on!
I don't know, since I have the FA*85, I never got out any fifty for portraits anymore...
Will see if I miss the 50mm focal length at all, or if 31 and 85 is enough.

About 135mm on... the 55-300 is good enough in IQ for the amount of times I need it (1 or 2 times a year when I go to a sports event).
Other than that, I really don't like shooting extreme teles... not into birding at all ^^
08-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can keep trying to convince myself
Yes, indeed! Until LBA strikes again!