Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-mount lens restoration from Canon Conversion?

This is painfully embarrassing to admit - but - I purchased an otherwise pristine K35/2 that has been modified to fit Canon EOS with an adapter. I was unaware that 'conversion' means the aperture lever has been cut off and the baffle removed from the mount, so the lens [EDIT: can only not be shot focused on Pentax cameras wide open. It operates as an old Takumar did before open-aperture metering].

I have [EDIT: no] recourse with the seller [EDIT:but I decided I'll likely not see another K35/2 this nice (otherwise) any time soon.].

Is it possible to return this lens to full operating condition on a K-mount camera - even if I have to buy a donor lens for parts - or will this be my first life lesson in used lens purchases?

If I need to buy a donor lens, will a surplus M50/1.7 from my FS table suffice or must I purchase a K series (I suspect the M lens will suffice - thankfully we aren't talking about A and later lenses)?

Last edited by monochrome; 08-06-2014 at 12:00 PM.
08-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would send an email to Eric to see if he has the spare parts and get an estimate. Perhaps include a picture.
08-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 on checking with Eric
08-05-2014, 07:47 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I would send an email to Eric to see if he has the spare parts and get an estimate. Perhaps include a picture.
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
+1 on checking with Eric
Thanks - I thought about doing it myself, but Yeah, this will be something like the 30th item I've sent to Eric. He once replaced the 'A' Locking pin on a NOS Series 1 lens I broke - I had to buy a donor lens, but it has the exact pin - and he's CLA'ed 50's Auto-Tak's for me.

I'm quite sure he can return it to original condition.

08-05-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why would it only shoot wide open? Does the aperture ring not open and close the iris?
08-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #6

I bought a used Kiron teleconverter with electrical contacts that the auto aperture stop-down lever had been cutoff. I plan on soldering on some sheet brass. I just haven't gotten around to doing it.

The lever has to be operated to stop an "A" lens down in "A" mode. Otherwise it remains closed (my error).

Last edited by Not a Number; 08-05-2014 at 08:51 PM.
08-06-2014, 04:02 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Why would it only shoot wide open? Does the aperture ring not open and close the iris?
I should have said I can't focus with it wide open. Rather it acts like an old Takumar lens - open to focus, close to shoot.

I didn't notice when I took the converter off and I didn't get out to test it for two weeks. I just figured this out last night.

Should have RTFP.

08-06-2014, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I should have said I can't focus with it wide open. Rather it acts like an old Takumar lens - open to focus, close to shoot.

I didn't notice when I took the converter off and I didn't get out to test it for two weeks. I just figured this out last night.

Should have RTFP.
I have made my feelings clear on what should happen to Canon FF shooters who do this to K-mount lenses...

They should be similarly 'modified'.
08-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I have made my feelings clear on what should happen to Canon FF shooters who do this to K-mount lenses...

They should be similarly 'modified'.
I imagine it would be difficult to obtain donor parts to reverse that procedure.

All is well. Seller has communicated nicely, Eric can fix it, and I like the lens otherwise.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-07-2014 at 11:20 AM.
08-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Monochrome, what's the cost for damage reversal? I've got a neutered lens I might like to restore also.
08-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Monochrome, what's the cost for damage reversal? I've got a neutered lens I might like to restore also.
I'll let you know when I get the estimate from Eric. My lens is packed for shipping. My guess is the same as a lens CLA plus parts or donor lens..
08-08-2014, 05:48 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't help you with this....just wanted to say that anyone doing such a terrible thing to such a lens should be...well, I can't write that...could upset the forum staff...but you know what I mean.
08-08-2014, 06:05 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I can't help you with this....just wanted to say that anyone doing such a terrible thing to such a lens should be...well, I can't write that...could upset the forum staff...but you know what I mean.
It can all apparently be put back together good as new, so there's that. I must say there was an unprintable string of invective when I discovered the amendment and another when I saw what I had overlooked in the sale notice. Seller was quite reasonable but I've decided to repair the lens.

In the end I suppose having the opportunity to be a good steward of our legacy has its redeeming qualities.
08-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'll let you know when I get the estimate from Eric. My lens is packed for shipping. My guess is the same as a lens CLA plus parts or donor lens..
What's the poop, Monochrome? Did you get a quote back yet?
08-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nope. Sometimes he isn't immediate - he gets busy.