Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Mystery lens

Can anyone give me any info on this lens. Its not in our database and I am having trouble finding it anywhere on the web.

SIGMA 70-210mm f 4-5.6 UC MF

AF? Decent lens? Bad lens? Work on a K10d?

Bokeh

05-08-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I do not know this lens but I would suspect that MF stands for manual focus. Other than that f/4-5.6 means that this is probably low end lens which might not be as bad as it sounds given that some consumer lenses take very nice pictures.

I like my Sigma 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 lens.
05-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Oh well, couldnt get much info on this lens. But I just picked it up from ebay for 19.99 with a like new in box rating.

Hope it works
05-08-2008, 02:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For $19.99, it's most certainly worth taking the risk. You might find youself pleasantly surprised and then it'll be that much better of a deal. If you can't stand it, then back on Fleabay it goes.

Heather

05-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bokeh Quote
Can anyone give me any info on this lens. Its not in our database and I am having trouble finding it anywhere on the web.

SIGMA 70-210mm f 4-5.6 UC MF

AF? Decent lens? Bad lens? Work on a K10d?

Bokeh
I have a Vivitar 1977 Zoom with Pentacon-fitting (M42?) with that specification.
Maybe it is the same lens.

- Bert
05-08-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
One other thing about this lens. It was listed as a Pentax KA mount. Will this work on a K10d without an adapter. If so, what functions will I loose?

Here is a link to help identify this lens.

Pentax KA-Mount SIGMA 70-210mm f4-5.6 UC LNIB! - eBay (item 180238706866 end time May-08-08 13:37:23 PDT)

Once again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

bokeh
05-08-2008, 08:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes, it's a KA mount lens, so you'll be able to change aperture from the body and use all the program modes. There is no autofocusing, and the lens won't communicate the focal length to the body, so you'll have to input it by hand. Being a zoom, this is a pain, as you don't want to change the input focal length every time you zoom in/out. There are different schools of thought on this; with this lens I would simply input 70mm at start-up, unless I knew I was going to be shooting mostly at the long end, in which case I'd input something like 200mm.

It's a very compact lens, and being Sigma, it might even be good It's certainly worth a $20 risk.
05-09-2008, 04:13 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
How exactly do you input the focal length by hand?

05-09-2008, 05:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

How exactly do you input the focal length by hand?
When you power up the camera with shake reduction on, you will get a menu where you pick the focal length.
05-09-2008, 05:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

When you have a zoom lens and have to pick one focal length for the whole lens, which one do you pick?

It would make sense to me to pick the longest length of the lens, but then I could be wrong.

Heather
05-09-2008, 05:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I just took a quick look at the auction's pictures. If I am not mistaken there is the infamous Ricoh pin in the bottom left picture. I have Sigma lens that came in similar box and there was only a small label put on the box stating K-PR (which is the Ricoh version of K-mount). If that's true, then you should be careful mounting the lens on your camera as the Ricoh pin can get stuck in the AF slot.

This is just an observation and I would have to go home to check my Ricoh mount to let you know 100%. I just wanted to warn you on what to look for when you get the lens. Still, $20 it is a great buy because the Ricoh pin can be easily removed.
05-09-2008, 05:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
When you have a zoom lens and have to pick one focal length for the whole lens, which one do you pick?

It would make sense to me to pick the longest length of the lens, but then I could be wrong.

Heather
I usually take something in the highend, since most often I move about in the higher ends anyways. For this lens id try 180mm. Take a few test pics and then decide if thats not good enough. If you see more problems at the lower end, lower it. If you see more problems above, pick a higher setting. Trial and error, for fun and profit.

Oh and as above poster mentioned. Make sure the mount looks exactly like your other ones, no pins sticking out or so. It might acctually get stuck otherwise, permanently.
05-09-2008, 05:48 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Okay, so if i get this little jewel in the mail and there is a Ricoh pin on it, how is the best way to have it removed.

And is there anyway to change the focal length while you are shooting or do you only get the menu when you turn it on?

And BTW, you guys are incredible on the amount of knowledge you have on Pentax gear. It is a great feeling to know that there is a community out there that I can turn to get information for stuff like this.

Thanks again.
05-09-2008, 06:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Okay, so if i get this little jewel in the mail and there is a Ricoh pin on it, how is the best way to have it removed.

And is there anyway to change the focal length while you are shooting or do you only get the menu when you turn it on?

And BTW, you guys are incredible on the amount of knowledge you have on Pentax gear. It is a great feeling to know that there is a community out there that I can turn to get information for stuff like this.

Thanks again.
You will have the shake reduction menu under the "rec mode" menu in settings. When a manual lense is attached that is.