Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
pentax 50-135 back from repair

hi guys,

i have another 50-135 story and i would like one extra opinion. Before couple of months i found a used DA*50-135 in a very good cosmetic condition, almost no signs of use, for around 550 Euros. So i thought i had a pretty good deal. From the serial number it is not the newest --> 9009080

But i noticed that the autofocus would not respond some times at all. But when it worked it was kind of accurate. It wasnt so terrible to work with, i did as well a vaptism photography with minor problems, almost not noticeable. Anyway i send it for repair or check, because i was not sure about autofocus performance. So as expected they suggested a SDM Motor change. The lens came back today.. and the squeaking while autofocus is worse then before.. :-(
I noticed it is a bit faster then before but it hunts some times.. cant really say if it was like this before.. But when i try this in a room with good light and focusing couple of times on something i have many misses..

Should i send it back for the squeaking noiese and the hunting? or am i overeacting? what bothers me as well, is that i paid 300 euro for the repair (Swiss prices) and they didnt even bother to clean the glass..

thanks for a friendly advice

08-07-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It sounds to me like they didn't fix it and just took your money. A new SDM motor should not sqeak like that. And the glass is not clean? Something smells rotten in Denmark
08-07-2014, 12:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
It sounds to me like they didn't fix it and just took your money. A new SDM motor should not sqeak like that. And the glass is not clean? Something smells rotten in Denmark
Switzerland actually, not Denmark.. anyway which country is irrelevant :-) Fact remains.
i thought the squeaking sound is just from a different moving part.. that just needs some lubricate .. The rotating wheel with the distance meter (my guess)
one other thing is that they gave the price for fixing it.. but when i got the bill, they calculated taxes plus shipping. So 30 euro more aswell. In total 300 euro
08-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Send it back, that isn't fixed.

08-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Send it back, that isn't fixed.
ok, so i have again to deal with the unfriendly guy from the service shop. It is not a pentax-ricoh official repair center unfortunately.. thanks blackcloudbrew
08-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ddamski Quote
Switzerland actually, not Denmark.. anyway which country is irrelevant :-)
The "Denmark" post is a common joke in the USA, if not elsewhere. It means something does not sound right.
08-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I experienced a similar issue with my 50-135: an autofocus problem that traced to the SDM failure, and audible squeaking. When I received the lens back from the Pentax (Canada) service centre, the lens was squeaking worse than when I sent it in. Fortunately, the local camera dealer was handling the business with Pentax, and agreed that the squeaking was not right. I re-submitted the lens to the dealer on the spot. I also pursued the Pentax service centre directly to make sure they were fully aware of the issue and my expectations.

I received the lens back the second time, fully repaired.

- Craig

08-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I had my DA*16-50 in for SDM replacement. It squeaked BEFORE I sent it in. It's quiet as a church mouse and focus's smoothly and accurately now. You need to send it into a Pentax authorized repair center.
08-07-2014, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #9

Photos: Albums
It is a reference to Shakespeare's Hamlet.

In "Hamlet." Act I, Scene 4: Marcellus (an officer) says "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark," having just seen the ghost of Hamlet's father, the late king of Denmark.

The phrase means "things are unsatisfactory; there is something wrong."
08-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddaytona Quote
It is a reference to Shakespeare's Hamlet.

In "Hamlet." Act I, Scene 4: Marcellus (an officer) says "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark," having just seen the ghost of Hamlet's father, the late king of Denmark.

The phrase means "things are unsatisfactory; there is something wrong."
Egads!
08-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have yet to hear a SDM that doesn't squeak.
08-07-2014, 04:29 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Put your head up to my DA*16-50. Hear that? Didn't think so
08-07-2014, 10:55 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
well.. i will send it back tomorrow. Today i will send them a mail about the squeaking and autofokus lock problem and will mention that they didnt even clean the glass.

i will let you know if they fix it..and if they fix it, it stil squeaks!

thanks for your feedback