Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-08-2014, 06:59 PM   #1

Old lenses worth the look

Hello there, I recently had someone send me free a Cosina 100mm f3.5 as an entry gift to the DSLR world so I could concentrate on getting a decent telephoto lens (I ma getting the 55-300 wr). I have looked at the reviews of this lens on different websites and they are all mostly stunned by what that lens can deliver.

My question is are there any other lens you know I should look out for that deliver great results without being too costly (either used or new). In other words exceptionnal bargains like this

Thank you all,

Marc

08-08-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The F 35-70 comes to mind as does the F 24-50. The 50/1.7s, the DA 50/1.8, the DA 35/2.4 & the DA 40/2.8 XS.

Pentax F Zoom Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Spend some time with the Lens Database and the Sample Archive.

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database

Lens Sample Photo Archive - PentaxForums.com
08-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #3

I've been really happy with all of my older lenses. I've been really surprised that a $20.00 30 year old Takumar (Bayonet) 135mm f2.5 can take better pictures than I can. Another one that I have only begun to play with that is really nice is the Pentax SMC 50mm F2. It's not as fast as the 1.7 or 1.4 but there are so many out there on the market they can be had for almost nothing. I also really like my Sigma 28-80mm Macro from the ZX-7 kit I bought back in 2000. Right now it's probably my favorite everyday walk around lens with a Tamron 70-210mm in the pocket.

Here is what that Sigma can do from the June single challenge.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/20489902@N03/sets/72157644957389002/

And a few so far from this months single challenge with the Takumar
https://www.flickr.com/photos/20489902@N03/sets/72157645701279810/
08-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you! I didn't know that lens database existed it's a real chesttreasure. I'll look around for the type of lenses I first want to buy.

08-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
More Old Glass?

Hello Marc, welcome to the Forum!
Is your Cosina this one? Cosina 100mm F3.5 MC Makro Lens Reviews - Cosina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
If so, it's not strictly a telephoto, it's a macro lens that happens to be useable as a 100mm tele. I have the same lens under Pentax badging and there are a couple other brandings, all the same (optics) except for cosmetic differences. And I (and others) use it as a tele when needed. It's not ideal but works well enough. It's a pretty decent macro, only 1:2, not 'true' macro of 1:1 or greater. If you do a search here for either the Pentax or Cosina version, you'll find many examples, sample photos, etc. A great bargain in A/F macros.
The F 35-70 is another low-cost gem, it even has a club here!
A fifty f/1.7 is about the best bargain around, everyone should have a fast fifty. Pentax M or A series are easy to find.
The Pentax M-series 135mm f/3.5 is a tiny tele with outstanding color rendition and sharpness. All metal, fully manual, built-in hood, true craftsmanship old school style. For around $50-$100 USD you'll have a true telephoto that's the same max aperture as the Cosina, but longer reach, smaller and better as a tele. Not as a macro.
There's a hundred more suggestions coming, good luck!
Ron
08-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lots of old glass that is excellent but two brand new ones to look at are the DA 50mm f/1.8 and the DA 35mm f/2.4 Excellent lenses though plastic build, it would be hard to find equivalent image quality at that price from old glass. The build quality might not be as good though.

For old glass:
F 35-70
F 70-210
F 50mm f/2.8 macro
08-08-2014, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Marc,
You will like the 55-300 WR when you get it. There are many excellent vintage lenses and many are from brands that you may not recognize. The cool part is that many have been reviewed by users on this site and many more are listed in the various lens club threads.

Lens Clubs - PentaxForums.com

While most require manual focus and/or various techniques to get an exposure reading, many are definitely worth the trouble. As for exceptional bargains...ummm...here are a few bullet points:
  • Don't overspend on a vintage lens unless you KNOW that it is worth the money*
  • In general, vintage zooms are not that good. There are exceptions, but you have to know your lenses.
  • K-mount Pentax lenses fall into several catagories:
    • Pentax-K and Pentax-M are manual focus and require stop-down metering on your camera
    • Pentax-A are manual focus and support all exposure modes on your camera
    • Pentax-F, FA, DA, and DA/F are all autofocus and support all exposure modes on your camera
    • Pentax "Takumar (Bayonet)" were a bargain line of manual focus lenses made by Pentax, but without the SMC coatings. Optical quality is generally reasonably good, but below that of the regular Pentax lenses. The "Takumar (Bayonet)" lenses have no relation to the generally excellent screw-mount Takumars below.
    • For more information on Pentax K-mount lenses see: Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page
  • Good non-Pentax K-mount lenses are Rikenon (Ricoh), Cosinon (Cosina), Chinon, Vivitar (various), Kiron, Tokina, and a score of house brands, many of which were from the first three makers on the list
  • There are also many non-good K-mount lenses, hence the warning above to not overspend
  • M42 screw mount lenses are often good value
  • Screw mount Pentax lenses are called Super-Takumar or SMC Takumar or Super-Multicoated-Takumar. All are good and most are excellent.
  • Other good Japanese screw mount lenses are Rikenon (Ricoh), Mamiya/Sekor (Mamiya), Yashinon (Yashica), Fujinon (Fuji), Vivitar (several makers) and a host of others
  • There are also many non-good screw-mount lenses, hence the warning above to not overspend
  • Screw mount German lenses are also worth looking into, but most like Carl Zeiss Jena (East German Zeiss) are also usually $$$ if they are any good
  • The former Soviet Union was also the source for many Pentax-compatible lenses, many of which are very competent optics. I own three Soviet lenses and all three are on my "never will sell list". The only problem is figuring out which ones are supposed to be good and finding a good example of the one you want. The Soviet Lens Club thread is a good place to start.
There is an article detailing how to successfully buy a vintage lens without getting burned:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-le...ers-guide.html

Man, all that typing and still no specific recommendations. Since you already have a 100mm, I would suggest a "Fast-50" such as the Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7. That model is well-built, has excellent optics, and is generally available in excellent condition for $35 to $45 USD. The only drawback is that you will not be able to control the aperture from the body and will have to use M-mode with stop-down (green button) metering.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-M-50mm-F1.7-Lens.html

Enjoy!

Steve

* How much is too much? For Pentax-made (with a few notable exceptions) manual focus, over $75 USD is usually too much. For K-mount "Takumar Bayonet" and non-Pentax (with a few notable exceptions), over $45 USD is too much. Usually the prices are much lower.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-08-2014 at 08:55 PM.