Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any experiences with KEH "ugly" rated lenses?

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question, but I wonder if anybody here has experience with the KEH ugly lenses and if it's worth risking getting one. I know there's some that they sell for like 5-7 dollars so I don't think I'd risk those. But they also have some lenses for about half what a "BGN" lens would cost, and that's sometimes close to or exceeding a hundred dollars. Any experience with those?

08-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think it depends on why it is rated ugly. If it is simply cosmetics, well that can be lived with. If the optics are ugly on the other hand...

I have always been skeptical of an UG rated Sigma 400/5.6 for example. That lens has a well documented history of element separation.
08-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian

They are random, some are repairable, some aren't. Most of the time it is hazy optics rather than mechanical issues, although you can expect stiff focus, maybe sticky blades, etc. Unless it is a rare lens, they usually aren't worth the cost once shipping is added in. As a throw-in item, less of a gamble. If you aren't prepared to open them up to clean optics, etc, don't bother...
08-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Risked it once--a pentax (A) 20mm f/2.8--as I recall for $200. It was great cosmetically but terrible optically--and the problem was visually apparent looking through the rear of the lens. I was hoping for the reverse--so i was out the shipping.

If I saw a lens/item that is hard to find and/or a real bargain I would risk it again. KEH is very good about returns--and usually (90%) of the time realistic or conservative in their ratings. When not it is likely a mistake, not deceit.

08-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I think it depends on why it is rated ugly. If it is simply cosmetics, well that can be lived with. If the optics are ugly on the other hand...
Unfortunately you can't call them to ask what's wrong with the lens, you have to buy it to find out what it is...

I was looking at a Tokina 17mm lens, not because it is rare, but because my funds are limited... I'd really like a prime in the 28mm range (equivalent focal length).
08-11-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi ChristianRock,

The "Bargain" rated lenses are a very good bet -- in my experience, KEH has been very conservative in their ratings, and without exception, the lenses have arrived in better than expected condition. The "Ugly" ones, as already noted are a crapshoot. Personally, I've tried a few ugly ones from them with good success -- ugly cosmetically, but very good optically and functionally -- but I might have just been lucky. I'd say that if the price is good enough to allow for some extra to be spent on servicing, and you have a good lens tech who can fix common minor issues, then they can be worth a shot. Cosmetics are probably given too much priority by used lens buyers, and this is often reflected in the price a given lens can command in the used market. I usually couldn't care less, if it's optically and functionally good, but YMMV is especially true when it comes to this subject. The worst thing that can happen is that the lens is not reasonably serviceable, and you return it and lose shipping both ways. Their return policy is solid and fair.

Scott
08-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah I've bought BGN (bargain) lenses from them before and I'm very happy with them.

I'll think about this for a bit. It might be worth trying out this lens. If it doesn't work out, I'm out 20 bucks in shipping back and forth...

08-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've bought a lot of stuff from KEH but was always afraid to touch the "ugly" stuff....
08-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I had a $99-dollar ugo (could have been BGN?) of some version of the Pentax manual 300 f4. Red fringed, did not seem to focus where I thought I was focusing it - though I'm not the manual focusing type. Sent it back. Only out shipping. As luck would have it I deleted the photo of the lens and the sample fringing shot just yesterday or the day before.

Last edited by SpecialK; 08-11-2014 at 09:55 PM.
08-11-2014, 09:26 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I've never bought an UGLY from them but would only do it if I were able to service lenses myself or needed spare parts to fix a nearly working copy.
I did buy a BGN from KH before and was a little surprised at how rough it was- banged up, bent, etc. I won't do that again.
08-11-2014, 09:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I've wondered the same thing. Thanks for posting this.
08-11-2014, 09:57 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I bought an UG smc-A 24mm f/2.8 from them for $100 less than the forum's average review price. It came with a couple of scratches on the front element but images are excellent. Maybe at min focus and f22 I might detect something amiss but maybe not. Using a hood would be a good idea in this case for any extra-demanding user.

I was very satisfied given the price I paid.
08-14-2014, 06:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I bought an UGLY 17mm fish-eye Takumar that turned out to be loaded with fungus. Tried to have it cleaned, but it wasn't a total success. Sold it at a loss (with full disclosure). I prefer BGN or better from KEH.
08-14-2014, 11:11 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, as much as I'd like that 17mm I think I'll pass. It's probably worth it only for people that have lots of experience cleaning lenses.

Thanks for the replies everyone!
08-14-2014, 11:11 PM   #15
bxf
Veteran Member

I suppose I'm going off topic with this, and I guess there are many satisfied KEH customers, but personally I can't help but feel sceptical or at least annoyed by a grading system that goes from Ugly to Bargain to Excellent. "excellent" is an item showing "moderate wear", and just one rank above "more than average wear, may have dents"? Not in my book...

Last edited by bxf; 08-14-2014 at 11:45 PM.