Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax Lens History

i was bored so i started reading about Noctilux's again and then i learned about the Noct Nikkor , it's neat that Nikon has a section Nikon | Imaging Products | Nikkor - The Thousand and One Nights where the old lens designers talk about their lenses and also this great site Photography in Malaysia

then i thought well i heard about the origins of the Pentax Limited story about the "rogue" engineer https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/21234-n00b-tim...vs-star-2.html and i also found another posting (but can't find it now) about how someone wanted to equal the quality of a Summicron. was wondering if there were any sites with detailed information on Pentax Lens and Body history?

so far i've found, but they don't have as much detail as the other sites.
English
Classic Camera Profiles
Early Asahi Pentax Cameras and Takumar lenses: Main Page
Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page

05-09-2008, 12:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I haven't read it yet, but is this part of what your looking for?
05-09-2008, 12:48 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Links

Just for starters here are a few from my bookmarks. Many are linked elsewhere on this website.

Stan's Pentax Photography somewhat dated compilation of PDML member comments on Pentax lenses - good if old info
Pentax LX - Index Page / Modern Classic SLRs series mir.com Everything you ever wanted to know about the LX, and more.
PENTAX MANUALS You can learn a lot by reading the manuals.
Die Cast Pro - Asahi Pentax Index Virtually every M42 lens and camera ever made, including photos
http://www.photoethnography.com/equipment.html\ Karen Nakamura's equipment page - extensive history of Spotmatics, Takumar lenses and 6x7's, and several hundred other classic cameras and bits
Shutterbug: Classic Cameras August 2003 Just hold a Pentax
http://www.concentric.net/~sherfy/ Fred Sherfy's Collector Page
jcolwell.ca - home J. Colwell's pages on Pentax (and other) data and prices - oldie but goodie. See splosdb.pdf
05-09-2008, 01:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Here is the kind of history not often talked about - list of discontinued Pentax products and date

05-09-2008, 03:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

As stated by others, the best resource on Pentax K cameras and lenses is Bojidar Dimitrov's website. As for Pentax screwmount cameras and lenses, I recommend this, as no other resource comes close:
The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide by Gerjan van Oosten

Cheers!

Abbazz
05-09-2008, 05:48 AM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Here is the kind of history not often talked about - list of discontinued Pentax products and date
that list didnt have the MX or the KM did canada not get these models? and what does the Z stand for? SMCP-AZ 70-210/4
05-09-2008, 06:38 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
that list didnt have the MX or the KM did canada not get these models? and what does the Z stand for? SMCP-AZ 70-210/4
I own a KX, and a friend of mine had an MX. They definitely existed in canada.

Someone needs to check if the Z stands for power zoom or not. I am not sure.
05-09-2008, 07:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ahhh, the Pentax SV! My favorite film SLR (actually I kinda prefer the Asahiflex, but M37 lenses are so scarce ). The SV is beautiful and efficient. Smooth and silent as a Leica. No messy batteries.

Cheers!

Abbazz

05-09-2008, 07:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Here's the article I wrote about the history of the Asahiflex (and its designers): Asahiflex
05-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I own a KX, and a friend of mine had an MX. They definitely existed in canada.

Someone needs to check if the Z stands for power zoom or not. I am not sure.
oh....... now I get it, the Z simply stands for zoom wow I feel a bit dumb now.
05-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for all the links guys. these are some great resources, but unfortunately nothing on the more recent lenses and mostly about the Screwmount stuff. i'm not really looking for very very technical details, but more about the philosophy and some good stories about lens development. it'd be nice for Pentax to do something similar to Nikon's 1001 nights section so they can hype up their own products, but they probably have other priorities right now.

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Here's the article I wrote about the history of the Asahiflex (and its designers): Asahiflex
the AOHC looks like a great site, but hasn't been updated for a while. too bad they can't make the archives available, it would be interesting to read the material in the Spotmatic magazines.
05-09-2008, 03:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
i'm not really looking for very very technical details, but more about the philosophy and some good stories about lens development.
How could I forget to mention the wonderful Marco Cavina's website. If you don't read Italian, you'll have to use an online translator, but it's definitely worth the effort. The site is not specifically about Pentax, but there are great stories about the development of some of the legendary Pentax lenses. Here's a link to the main page:
ARTICOLI TECNICI DI ARGOMENTO FOTOGRAFICO by MARCO CAVINA

Here's an article about Pentax 20/2 and 18/2 prototypes:
I FIGLI PERDUTI DI PENTAX

This one is about the 20/1.4 prototype from 1976:
LO SMC PENTAX

This one is about the Zeiss Distagon 28/2, which later became the SMC Pentax 28/2:
ZEISS DISTAGON 28mm f

And here's the story of the SMC Pentax 28/2:
SMC PENTAX 28mm f

This one is about the Ultra-Achromatic Takumar 85/4.5:
ULTRA

This one is about the Pentax M 40/2.8 "son of Tessar" pancake:
IL TIPO TESSAR EVOLUTO

This one is about the legendary SMC Pentax 35/1.4:
SMC

This one is about the birth of the Pentax 50/1.2 lens:
ASAHI PENTAX ED UNA PRIMIZIA RIMASTA SCONOSCIUTA

This one is about the Pentax A* 85/1.4:
ASAHI PENTAX A

... and dozens of other fascinating articles. This site is an invaluable resource for anyone interested in camera lenses. Highly recommended.

Cheers!

Abbazz
05-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks Abbazz, i was reading RFF and i recognized your avatar! those links look great!